[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

I'm not familiar with the source material, but I don't really see anything bad about this. It looks like an inoffensive kids' movie with a slightly bigger budget. What am I missing here?
For one thing, since you're not familiar with the book, Harold is supposed to be a young child. The book is very much about a young child filling in the world with his (young child's) imagination. Zachary Levi, specifically, trying to do this comes off as cloying. Two, I have a pet peeve when they take certain childrens' books which have a soft, almost lulling feel to them and turn them into loud, bombastic affairs. It misses the whole point. Not every adaptation needs to ramp up the adrenaline. I know it wasn't a huge hit, but I feel like the movie adaptation of Where the Wild Things Are did this far better.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Two, I have a pet peeve when they take certain childrens' books which have a soft, almost lulling feel to them and turn them into loud, bombastic affairs. It misses the whole point. Not every adaptation needs to ramp up the adrenaline.
This is what bugged me about the trailer, too. We don't need "Goodnight Moon" set to Through the Fire and the Flames.

I think you mean 38 years. :cool:

(Alien 3 sucks! Come at me!)
It's the worst of the three to that point, by far, don't get me wrong. But I truly don't think it's a "bad" movie. I think there's just enough interesting things about it to make a decent flick.

Everything that followed it is absolutely garbage, though.

Alien 3's biggest sin is that it had an amazing script and an amazing director... then it threw away the script and stripped the director of meaningful creative control. It's not just that the movie has problems; it's that the movie could have been, should have been so much better.

Alien 3's biggest sin is that it had an amazing script and an amazing director... then it threw away the script and stripped the director of meaningful creative control. It's not just that the movie has problems; it's that the movie could have been, should have been so much better.
Oh, 100%. What we COULD have had would've been so awesome. But for what we got, I don't necessarily hate it. There are plenty of better movies out there, but there are plenty of worse ones, too. It's firmly in the middle as an "okay" movie. Heh, I used the word "decent" for a reason, not "great."

I'm not familiar with the source material, but I don't really see anything bad about this. It looks like an inoffensive kids' movie with a slightly bigger budget. What am I missing here?
Turning the source material into an action comedy seems like they missed the point.

On the one hand, the trailer gives me Ghostbusters: Afterlife vibes, and not in a good way. (Algorithm-based nostalgia bait)

On the other hand, I have some faith in Tim Burton to deliver something good.
Like Dark Shadows or Dumbo? :cool:

I’m hopeful too. We shall see.

It's definitely done tongue in cheek, it's being sung by a choir at a funeral lol, and is a throwback even to how the original opened.

Krazy House

So, this movie apparently came out in January. Im only hearing about it now. A friend of mine excitedly shared it with me just now. And my initial reaction is a big "Eh? Really?"

I kind of get what they're trying for, but it just isn't vibing with me. I don't know why. I think the mix of sitcom and "real" life just doesn't work. Especially when they show the live audience. Like, did the bad guys invade a real sitcom or one being filmed or...I just don't get it.

Apparently, it got savaged by critics, getting a 25% Rotten Tomatoes score. I'm half tempted to track it down to see if it's that bad. But even the trailer doesn't make me feel all that interested.

THANK YOU. It felt like something familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it to put it into words.

Given that I didn't care for the Mario Movie, this doesn't fill me with hope.
I watched the Mario Movie and literally couldn't remember what had happened in it the next day.

Last edited: