[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Dave

Staff member
Red Notice looks like it could be fun but the other two? Not real sure. I fucking HATE the casting in the WoT show. Look! All these people from the same small town are different races! We’re progressive! I’m not against diversity in casting but this is forced diversity not actual diversity.

The looks and feels of the characters are just all wrong. Like they glanced at the source material and said, “We like the plot but the characters and situations aren’t good. Let’s change everything but the names. Nobody will care.”

I don't see how they're going to be able to do this story justice (heh) with just one movie. I feel like it should be three movies at least.

The first one covers Superman's descent into tyranny, covering events like
Lois's death, Superman starting to intervene in events more directly, the development of the green pill, Superman's parents getting abducted and the death of Green Arrow, etc.

And then the second movie is the insurgency against Superman's regime, and how things get increasingly worse for Batman. And the third movie is the alternate universe heroes coming to stop Superman.

GasBandit

Staff member

I don't see how they're going to be able to do this story justice (heh) with just one movie. I feel like it should be three movies at least.

Lois's death, Superman starting to intervene in events more directly, the development of the green pill, Superman's parents getting abducted and the death of Green Arrow, etc.

And then the second movie is the insurgency against Superman's regime, and how things get increasingly worse for Batman. And the third movie is the alternate universe heroes coming to stop Superman.
Unfortunately, trying to cram entire multi-issue story arcs into a single feature length film has been something of a new habit for the DCAU.

I get the feeling most of this will probably be what you describe as the third act. The first part will be one of those quick introductory flashbacks to establish the setting. Which, honestly, it's all it needs. It doesn't need to be a big, drawn out movie just to set up the meat of the story. If I recall, even the game jumps in after that intro.

I get the feeling most of this will probably be what you describe as the third act. The first part will be one of those quick introductory flashbacks to establish the setting. Which, honestly, it's all it needs. It doesn't need to be a big, drawn out movie just to set up the meat of the story. If I recall, even the game jumps in after that intro.
Indeed, but I thought the prequel comic series that explored Superman's gradual transition into a dictator was much more interesting than the game itself. If I were the one making an Injustice movie, I'd definitely want to include as much content as I could from the comics.

Definitely down for this. Someone else pointed out that the green tint that indicates characters are in the Matrix is gone, which is most definitely on purpose.

And honestly, I've said this many times before, but I'm in the minority that LIKED Reloaded and Revolutions. I think as people rewatch the trilogy in preparation for this new one, we'll see people reassess them.

I think that's a really nice trailer, and I hope this is a good movie for fans. I'm in the minority where I was underwhelmed by all the Matrix..es that came before, so I doubt I'm going to end up seeing it.

So I guess that means that all the John Wick movies were just programms to keep Neo busy.

And that one time "Bill and Ted" just for shit and giggles.

Loved the first Matrix film. The other two were so poorly written that I just couldn't enjoy them. I will be cautiously optimistic for this one. It's hinting at some interesting ideas, but the last movie made a mess of the story. I don't know how they could possibly recover.

Something I think I've mentioned before: the Wachowskis said they prefer to let their work stand for itself, which I respect. So instead of commentary from them, on the "Ultimate Matrix Collection" (DVD and BluRay), they include two sets of opposing commentaries. One is from a pair of philosophy academics. The other is from a pair of film critics. I haven't checked, but I don't think these commentaries are on later releases, like the 4K editions. which is a shame.

Both commentaries LOVED the first movie. Where it really gets interesting is in the sequels. The critics gradually become more and more critical of the sequels, until they pretty much hate Revolutions by the end. The academics, though, really enjoyed them and offer tons of great insights. Personally, I really enjoyed the academics, partly as a former academic myself, but also because their commentary made me appreciate the little things and the allusions in all three films.

Best part of the whole thing was during the blue/red pill scene with Morpheus. One academic said to the other, "Well, we grew up in the 60s. We went to Woodstock. We would've just taken both pills, right?"

Last edited:
I know I’ve said it before, but the first movie is a cultural touchstone and deserves its accolades. The second movie suffers a lot from sequelitis and more than a little bit of “Where should we go from here?” The highway chase scene is pure gold, though. The third movie feels like a lot of the script was written between two and three AM after an all-nighter one day before the looming deadline. Yes, there’s important story bits in there and an important narrative being told, but I have such difficulty following it because of all the dramatic draaahhhmaahhh the dramatis personae must dramatically (gasp!) dramatize.

I hope the fourth movie learnt from this, and does not try to do too much by overdoing too many things all at once.

—Patrick

I find myself unenthused by the new Matrix film, for some reason. I liked all three previous Matrix films, even if I recognize the later two had flaws. But I think maybe I felt the story was suitably concluded at the end of Revolutions, and now I'm less intrigued by the idea of returning to that universe.

For me the matrix is one of those trilogies where my opinion improves over time. Everyone agrees the first movie is great, and like most I liked the second and third movies less and less. But over the years and subsequent rewatchings my opinion has improved. They are still a mess with lots of problems but I recognize what they're trying to do and I appreciate it.

I recently rewatched them all and enjoyed them a lot

It feels weird putting this in the upcoming movies thread.

--Patrick
Hmm, looks interesting, but my main concern is whether this film will have enough of its own identity to justify its existence. The original movie is considered a classic movie musical, and for good reason. This movie will need to be distinct enough from the previous one, because otherwise why would I watch it? I could just watch the original.

Hmm, looks interesting, but my main concern is whether this film will have enough of its own identity to justify its existence. The original movie is considered a classic movie musical, and for good reason. This movie will need to be distinct enough from the previous one, because otherwise why would I watch it? I could just watch the original.
As someone who's watched the original recently, aside from the dancing and Rita Moreno, it could definitely use an update. Natalie Wood and Richard Breymer were horribly miscast as the leads. They're so stiff and wooden throughout the movie. Then there's the horrible, same color brownface they made all the "Latinos" wear, even the actual Latinx actors! I love old movies and I love muscials, but there a lot of scenes that are filmed in a way that just drag. People tend to overlook it because the music is so famous and the choreography is mind-blowing, but aside from those two factors, it's really a so-so film.

the horrible, same color brownface they made all the "Latinos" wear, even the actual Latinx actors!
I overlook this by reminding myself that it is a movie adaptation of a stage play—an idealized version, even, and so that's just part of the stagecraft that was left in so that it would still “read” as a stage play.

—Patrick

As someone who's watched the original recently, aside from the dancing and Rita Moreno, it could definitely use an update. Natalie Wood and Richard Breymer were horribly miscast as the leads. They're so stiff and wooden throughout the movie. Then there's the horrible, same color brownface they made all the "Latinos" wear, even the actual Latinx actors! I love old movies and I love muscials, but there a lot of scenes that are filmed in a way that just drag. People tend to overlook it because the music is so famous and the choreography is mind-blowing, but aside from those two factors, it's really a so-so film.
I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I've loved the music since we played a medley in high school band, and I'd always heard raves about the movie. But when I finally got to see it, I was sooooo boooooorrrrred. I couldn't figure out what I was missing that other people were seeing, because I usually love musicals.