[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Not true. Particularly in Dumbos case, the new version of the movie does not extend the Copyright associates with the old movie because the old movie is a fixed creative piece not being modified by the new one. And you can’t copyright the ideas, concepts, or situations attached to it. Having a live action Dumbo only creates a copyright for that film and has no bearing whatsoever on the old.
Hrm, well, when you're right, you're right.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not true. Particularly in Dumbos case, the new version of the movie does not extend the Copyright associated with the old movie because the old movie is a fixed creative piece not being modified by the new one. And you can’t copyright the ideas, concepts, or situations attached to it. Having a live action Dumbo only creates a copyright for that film and has no bearing whatsoever on the old.

Essentially in 20 years or so, you can draw the animated Dumbo doing whatever you want and unless Congress signs a retroactive copyright extension (which they will), Disney is powerless to stop it.
While that technically may be true, anyone wanting to make works based on the original Dumbo would then have to be able to prove that their work was solely derived from the original, and didn't take anything from the sequel, and I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to face Disney's lawyers if they decided to sue me over the matter, would you?

While that technically may be true, anyone wanting to make works based on the original Dumbo would then have to be able to prove that their work was solely derived from the original, and didn't take anything from the sequel, and I'm not sure I'd be confident enough to face Disney's lawyers if they decided to sue me over the matter, would you?
Absolutely I would. All it takes is Disney to lose once on your overbroad interpretation of copyright and its game over for them. That’s why instead of looking to the grey area of infringement, they simply lobby for copyright extensions. It’s not the live action remakes that are their IP strategy, it’s the purchase of Lucasfilm and Marvel. I know this because I sat in on the original Disney purchase conference call of Lucasfilm and they were very specific that it was only the original IP that they were interested in as their main IP was becoming volatile.

Hrm, well, when you're right, you're right.
Right. The best they can do is to continue the association of the proper name “Dumbo” being associated with a flying elephant.
Absolutely I would. All it takes is Disney to lose once on your overbroad interpretation of copyright and its game over for them.
Which is why they’re pushing hard now to try and lean on trademark law to preserve their Micksclusive instead of copyright. Incorporating Mickey into the Disney logo, etc.

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
"The Hustle" starring Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson. A gender-swapped remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

This movie has the potential to be hilarious, or horrible.

EDIT: Notably, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a remake of Bedtime Story, so this is a remake of a remake.

Last edited:
I didn't really like the Last Jedi super much, but it was mostly because they tried to do too many plot lines at once.

I have enjoyed The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, Rogue One, and Solo.

That trailer looks decidedly "meh" and I'm not excited at all.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens, loved The Last Jedi, Rogue One, and Solo because they dared to expand the world of Star Wars beyond what we're used to.

This is just a teaser, not even a full trailer, so I'm not gonna draw any conclusions from it. I mean, I'm gonna see it in theaters anyway.

figmentPez

Staff member
This seems to be one of the more spoiler-heavy trailers in recent memory, but it does make Men In Black: International look pretty good:

Dave

Staff member
MiB International: Won't watch it. Don't care. I disagree about how good it looks.

Nun Show (not typing that all out): Interesting concept. Not getting Amazon again. If the reviews are good...yarr.

Well folks, this is it. This is...a thing that exists. For some...reason.

If I were Coolio, I wouldn't be happy having Gansta's Paradise attached to...whatever this is.

Well folks, this is it. This is...a thing that exists. For some...reason.

If I were Coolio, I wouldn't be happy having Gansta's Paradise attached to...whatever this is.

Literally the only good thing in this trailer is the nostalgia evoked by the sound effects from the games.

Well, okay, Gangsta's Paradise is good too.

But everything else is bad.