[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Rogue One is made by the same people? You've really killed my excitement.
I think Disney stepped in to move things their way, enough that the director said he doesn't want to do big budget movies after this and stepped down from Godzilla 2, hence that movie's delay to 2019. I'm hoping Godzilla vs Kong sticks to 2020 though.

I just assumed there were some of the same people involved because of the Vs movie.

Now I'm fully expecting our follow character from Rogue One to keep accidentally winding up around imperial attacks that are never shown on screen, while rebel officers fret about them, and an incredibly short third act that is barely visible due to smoke & darkness.

I just assumed there were some of the same people involved because of the Vs movie.
One of the writers from Godzilla is still there, but more as an assist; the story itself is by the other screenwriter who had nothing to do with Godzilla. Godzilla's director Gareth Edwards is on Rogue One though; he was initially given creative freedom but then Disney changed their minds and reshot a good chunk of the movie. Rogue One could still be fine, but whatever changes were made clearly disheartened Edwards.

Godzilla 2 will be written by the guy who wrote Trick R Treat and Krampus, Michael Dougherty. There were rumors he would also direct, but those appear to have been squashed. Currently I don't think Godzilla 2 has a set director, but it won't be the same as Godzilla 2014. Perhaps if Kong: Skull Island is well-received, it'll be Jordan Vogt-Roberts.

I don't know how much of this I've said before or not, so I apologize if I'm repeating myself.

Ok, so does that mean he's going to follow in the footsteps of Doc, now that he's the one with the career-ruining injury? Or is Pixar going to try to make a CGI version of Concussion (2015)? Or will it be one of those mora'dum kind of movies where he has to overcome the injuries to his psyche as well? Or will this delve into the secret lives of sportscasting? There are so many possibilities.

--Patrick

An old car will sacrifice himself to allow McQueen to be rebuilt.

"McQueen... take my parts, and you will have a power you've never known. Fulfill your destiny!"

And then the old car rips out his own Spark, and his parts levitate over to McQueen's body and attach themselves to his chassis, and suddenly McQueen is fully healed and can now fly.

This was the plot outline I had seen for Cars 3 a while back. The accident looks like it may be the starting point. I think they're putting him in Doc Hudson's shoes a bit, but unlike Doc, he's not walking, er, rolling away from racing.

Li'l Z lives for the Cars universe (well, not so much Cars 2), but I haven't shown him the teaser trailer. I'd rather wait until they release a full trailer. But dammit, Pixar, this better be good after I've had to put up with Dane Cook all this time.

That looks better than the last two.

I only wish the trailer wouldn't give away the secret of the village so easily.
the Lost Village is full of female smurfs

fade

Staff member
Best Cars 3 comment from facebook: "You get a dark reboot, you get a dark reboot, EVERYBODY gets a dark reboot!"

In all seriousness, though, my son loved Cars, and he's now 13. Seems like pretty good demographics placement to me.

I honestly never understood the hate for the Cars movies. They're definitely low on the list of Pixar movies, but that doesn't mean they're not enjoyable or unwatchable.

GasBandit

Staff member
The only thing that I didn't like about Cars was that it was a retelling of Doc Hollywood in the same way that Avatar was a retelling of Dances with Wolves.

And that's a nice way of saying "ripped off."

fade

Staff member
I've heard this comparison before, and I don't really see it to be honest. I mean, yeah, at 30000 feet they're similar, but beyond that, they seem about as similar as any other "young hotshot learns the true meaning of friendship" movie.

GasBandit

Staff member
Triggers? Fuck off.
You're being super melodramatic right now. All the way back to the "sigh" thru the above quote.[DOUBLEPOST=1479844221,1479844172][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've heard this comparison before, and I don't really see it to be honest. I mean, yeah, at 30000 feet they're similar, but beyond that, they seem about as similar as any other "young hotshot learns the true meaning of friendship" movie.
From wisened old heads in a backwards rustic setting, right down to the same "ahyuck" accent.

You're being super melodramatic right now. All the way back to the "sigh" thru the above quote.
Because I am sick and tired of this argument. I'm sorry, but I am. After years of studying literature and storytelling, you see patterns and influences in EVERYTHING. Shakespeare blatantly lifted things from his peers all the time, but you don't hear people dismissing his work because of it.

You're being super melodramatic right now. All the way back to the "sigh" thru the above quote.[DOUBLEPOST=1479844221,1479844172][/DOUBLEPOST]
From wisened old heads in a backwards rustic setting, right down to the same "ahyuck" accent.
I'm still with Nick on this one. Plot points overlap but there is plenty of things different, including characters, setting, and yes, plot points. It is its own movie, especially for audiences that never saw Doc Hollywood (which you don't suppose borrowed from something too?)

GasBandit

Staff member
Because I am sick and tired of this argument. I'm sorry, but I am. After years of studying literature and storytelling, you see patterns and influences in EVERYTHING. Shakespeare blatantly lifted things from his peers all the time, but you don't hear people dismissing his work because of it.
Actually, they did, at the time. He was accused of plagiarism multiple times. But it was, you know, 400 years ago. So now it's a footnote.

I'm aware that tropes are a thing. You might be sick and tired of an argument, but that does not make that argument invalid.[DOUBLEPOST=1479844623,1479844562][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm still with Nick on this one. Plot points overlap but there is plenty of things different, including characters, setting, and yes, plot points. It is its own movie, especially for audiences that never saw Doc Hollywood (which you don't suppose borrowed from something too?)
Your threshold for similarity is obviously set at a different level to trigger the "unoriginal" alarm than mine.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's dismissive is my problem. It's basically saying, "Ooh, it's just like this thing, so it must suck!" That's all I hear every time someone brings up Avatar.
"The plot was derivative and unoriginal" is a valid criticism. It can be lessened by other factors in the movie, naturally, and do note that I said it was my only issue with Cars, not that it damned it into being an unforgivably bad movie.

"The plot was derivative and unoriginal" is a valid criticism. It can be lessened by other factors in the movie, naturally, and do note that I said it was my only issue with Cars, not that it damned it into being an unforgivably bad movie.
It actually depends upon shared experiences for it to be a valid criticism for someone other than you. That is, they need to be familiar with the inspiration material for it to detract from their experience. And even then, the original could still be worse less polished in plenty of ways. "Derivative and original" is much more subjective than other criticisms, since it relies on individual experiences in order to establish the reference in the first place.

GasBandit

Staff member
It actually depends upon shared experiences for it to be a valid criticism for someone other than you. That is, they need to be familiar with the inspiration material for it to detract from their experience. And even then, the original could still be worse less polished in plenty of ways. "Derivative and original" is much more subjective than other criticisms, since it relies on individual experiences in order to establish the reference in the first place.
That's as may be, but subjectivity is inherent to opinions on a movie, isn't it? I'm not espousing an objective fact here, I didn't say "Cars is a bad movie because its plot is lifted from Doc Hollywood." I said...

The only thing that I didn't like about Cars was that it was a retelling of Doc Hollywood in the same way that Avatar was a retelling of Dances with Wolves.

And that's a nice way of saying "ripped off."
... that it was the only thing I didn't like about the movie.

fade

Staff member
Cars was well directed. (Not saying anyone said it wasn't.) I really enjoyed, for example, the scene where Lightning watches Doc on the track.