The Ultimate Nerd Debate: Solved. Superman vs Goku, the definitive battle to the death

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ragnarok storyline was pretty awesome, where he ends the cycle but I can't remember if there are any TPB of those or not. Also Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson is a good read for classic Thor (this is when I read it the most). I also enjoyed the return of Thor and the lead in to Siege, where he's restoring the rest of the Asgardians after the events of Ragnarok.

Pretty much anything with Walt Simonson is going to be the definitive version of Thor.

I also can't remember if in the main Marvel universe if the whole "Asgardians are really just super technologically advanced aliens" thing. I'm pretty sure they're still actual gods in the main universe. I do know that them being advanced aliens was a major plot point of the Earth X series, but that's not really cannon.

The current run of Thor is great also. The art is fantastic, and the basic idea is this God-killer that's been haunting Thor since he ran into it centuries prior to the present, when it left him for dead. It deals with his run-in in the past, his hunt for it in the present, and his final stand against it and its minions in the future.

Also yeah, there's a couple Deadpool things I want to check out. The Dr. McNinja guy's stuff, and Brian Posehn wrote a few issues too.

Also one of the billion times he and Logan fought, Scott keeps pushing Logan back hundreds of yards with his beams while Logan keeps charging and charging.
...this sounds questionable. Was Logan in "bell-ring" berzerker mode? Because I'd think he would have snuck up on him or something, being a hundred year old martial arts master and soldier and what not. Just saying.

And Bowielee I've read that he's healed from his accident, but uses the visor due to a psychosomatic need for it. So if he were to break this mental barrier, he would only need his visor for style instead of a mental crutch.

Also while were on the subject of Cyclops...what is up with the bird on his new costume? Is it symbolic for the Phoenix force? Cos if not, I don't really get what it means.

And Colossus is Juggernaut now? Weird.

It escalated from one of Logan and his regular arguments over something. One provoked the other, and it went from there. This was a couple years ago, I think, before Cyclops went all Mutant Nationalist.

...this sounds questionable. Was Logan in "bell-ring" berzerker mode? Because I'd think he would have snuck up on him or something, being a hundred year old martial arts master and soldier and what not. Just saying.

And Bowielee I've read that he's healed from his accident, but uses the visor due to a psychosomatic need for it. So if he were to break this mental barrier, he would only need his visor for style instead of a mental crutch.

Also while were on the subject of Cyclops...what is up with the bird on his new costume? Is it symbolic for the Phoenix force? Cos if not, I don't really get what it means.

Re: Cyclops, it's really simple as to why he can't get over that particular mental block. Without the visor, why the fuck would anyone call him cyclops?

It's iconic to his image, they can't change it.

I'd have to ask, then why would Emma Frost not just fix that mental issue for him? I'd imagine she would do it with or without his permission.

As for the new costume, he was possessed by the Phoenix force along with Emma Frost, Collossus, Namor (Why the hell is he an Xman again? He's BARELY a muntant as most of his powers come from his Atlantean physiology), and Magik during the AvX event.

I'd have to ask, then why would Emma Frost not just fix that mental issue for him? I'd imagine she would do it with or without his permission.

As for the new costume, he was possessed by the Phoenix force along with Emma Frost, Collossus, Namor (Why the hell is he an Xman again? He's BARELY a muntant as most of his powers come from his Atlantean physiology), and Magik during the AvX event.
I think Emma actually did something like that once. Helped him hold the beams in temporarily so he could see the world without his visor/shades. Or maybe it was a vision she gave him in his head. It's been awhile.

I think main reason I feel this still hasn't finally been settled is because Epic rap battles of history hasn't chimed in.

One of only hero I know who was able to get over his mental block was Animal Man, course that was only after taking Peyote. So logically all Marvel/DC Super Heroes need to get high off their asses! Make a big ass event out of it "Crisis on infinite dime-bags"! Especially since the idea of Superman getting high is extremely funny to me for some reason.

One of only hero I know who was able to get over his mental block was Animal Man, course that was only after taking Peyote. So logically all Marvel/DC Super Heroes need to get high off their asses! Make a big ass event out of it "Crisis on infinite dime-bags"! Especially since the idea of Superman getting high is extremely funny to me for some reason.

Several times in All Star Superman:
-Outlasting a super-powered Lex and using his smarts until the powers ran out.
-Answering a riddle by the Sphinx to save Lois.
-Escaping the Bizarro planet without his powers, but rather using his ingenuity.
Wow, i was expecting some examples, seeing how he's been around since the 1930's, but all from the same book...

Honestly, most of Superman's stories aren't so much rallying his strength and winning, but about how he overcomes the villain through ingenuity. The best stories, anyway. Similar in some ways to some of the better Spider-Man stories, too. Or superhero comics in general. It's not like Dragonball Z where it's dominating the other person at the end, but overcoming hardships. You look at What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and The American Way (adapted into Superman vs. The Elite) and yeah, he suddenly cut loose on his powers, but it wasn't about just beating them, but proving a point about abuse of powers to The Elite, the public, and even to himself.
I read that the comic did it better by having the League help him take them down...

Point is that the real problem with Supes is that most people make him into a Mary Sue...

Just look at the parts of the video where they talk about his powers... "he wasn't able to breathe in space because of mental blocks, but then got over them"... yeah, they tried to give him some limitations after Crisis, but that didn't last long and the power creep started in earnest again.

There was a really interesting trade that I used to have where the Silver Banshee somehow swaped the tempraments of Superman and Batman. It focused on the main thing that they have in common besides being super-heroes, which is that technically, they are both orphans. Superman started seeing the destruction of his homeworld and loss of his parents in terms of revenge and Batman started seeing the death of his parents as an opportunity to make the world a better place. It all tied into some ancient gaelic spirit and a deal with Blaze of some sort, but it was interesting to see how badly things can turn out if Superman DOESN'T adopt a Mary Sue attitude. If he lets himself react in the same way as a normal person would, the path eventually leads to villainy because the human failings that we all have combined with that much power eventually lead down dark paths.

I'm probably not explaining this right at all, but it was a great story.

There was a really interesting trade that I used to have where the Silver Banshee somehow swaped the tempraments of Superman and Batman. It focused on the main thing that they have in common besides being super-heroes, which is that technically, they are both orphans. Superman started seeing the destruction of his homeworld and loss of his parents in terms of revenge and Batman started seeing the death of his parents as an opportunity to make the world a better place. It all tied into some ancient gaelic spirit and a deal with Blaze of some sort, but it was interesting to see how badly things can turn out if Superman DOESN'T adopt a Mary Sue attitude. If he lets himself react in the same way as a normal person would, the path eventually leads to villainy because the human failings that we all have combined with that much power eventually lead down dark paths.
It wasn't his attitude i had a problem with... it's his actually being one in most stories is what's annoying...

Status
Not open for further replies.