[News] The Trayvon Martin Discussion Thread

hahahah that fucking letter "look at all these black friends he has!!! he's latino, can't be racist!!!"

Newsflash: Racist doesn't mean white. People of color can be incredibly racist!!!!!

ALSO last time I checked being racist isn't a crime (unfortunately), even if he's not racist, he still fucking murdered a kid!!!!

S

Soliloquy

hahahah that fucking letter "look at all these black friends he has!!! he's latino, can't be racist!!!"

Newsflash: Racist doesn't mean white. People of color can be incredibly racist!!!!!

ALSO last time I checked being racist isn't a crime (unfortunately), even if he's not racist, he still fucking murdered a kid!!!!
There's more to the story than the first few paragraphs.

S

SeraRelm

Don't bother. Someone might be racist so anything naysaying that isn't worth reading.

S

Soliloquy

I guess the main things I found interesting were

It was dark, and the boy did not see how the fight started, in fact, he only saw one person, a man in a red shirt — Zimmerman — who was on the ground.
and

Zimmerman told police he acted in self-defense. Police found blood on his face and the back of his head as well as grass on the back of his shirt
Pretty much it just shows that there's more to this story than the general knowledge of "guy stalks boy, guy shoots boy" that's being reported everywhere. I still think the guy at least needs to get arrested (I mean, he was following the unarmed kid while carrying a gun [well, the letter denies that he followed anyone, but whatever], then shot the kid to death,) but the actual circumstances of the shooting seem a little less cut-and-dry.

S

Soliloquy

What worries me is this, though... the guy may very well have an adequate enough legal excuse to not be arrested, no matter how BS his case may be, so even the federal investigation might not end in his arrest. And if that happens... well, things might end badly.

The only time I look at a person wearing a hoodie as though they are up to no good... is when they are wearing one in Texas during the summer. 98 degrees and a hoodie means that guy is not in his right mind.

I am a radical on gun ownership, I think it's kind of crazy to carry a gun on your person in public (obviously, cops nonwithstanding)
I'll just leave this here...
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html
http://www.disinfo.com/2010/03/the-police-arent-legally-obligated-to-protect-you/
"Don’t look to Constitution for help. “In its landmark decision of DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services,” Stevens writes, “the U.S. Supreme Court declared that the Constitution does not impose a duty on the state and local governments to protect the citizens from criminal harm.”"

M

makare

If you are going to leave it there probably should explain what your point is exactly.

S

Soliloquy

Well, it seems to me that he's saying that since police aren't obligated to protect you by law, people should be allowed to protect themselves with firearms.

fade

Staff member
Ah the classic a implies b, therefore b must imply a. This case was to prevent frivolous lawsuits, not to say that police won't protect you.

S

Soliloquy

Ah the classic a implies b, therefore b must imply a. This case was to prevent frivolous lawsuits, not to say that police won't protect you.
Yeah that'll work out just fine....
Well, to turn this around on you, would you say that a woman in a situation such as the one described in the story shouldn't be allowed to protect herself or her children with a gun?

S

Soliloquy

They're the Las Vegas Equivalent of Judge Dredd.
Though they also take the time after each case to make sure the suspect feels adequately bad about themselves, moving their jurisdiction to the emotional realm as well.

Though they also take the time after each case to make sure the suspect feels adequately bad about themselves, moving their jurisdiction to the emotional realm as well.
It appeals to the visceral need humans have for making people not only meet justice, but know they were wrongity wrong wrong wrong.

Much like internet arguments...

M

makare

Well, to turn this around on you, would you say that a woman in a situation such as the one described in the story shouldn't be allowed to protect herself or her children with a gun?
I'd say the chance of the "protection" working out for her is less likely then a story of child accidentally shoots self, sibling, dog etc with mothers gun.

M

makare

Do I think she should be able to carry a gun? sure
do I think it is the right move? absolutely not.

Happy?