The Tech Random Crap Thread

figmentPez

Staff member
The depth of the analog throw really screws up my aim with the mouse cursor in desktop mode..
You can change that. Either change what mouse click is assigned to, or change how far you have to pull the analog trigger in order for it to register.

Yay for target disk mode?
I mean, I don't know if you have a Thunderbolt or Firewire cable lying around to do that, but it seems like the easiest way to get at those files without having to disassemble the old computer and directly connect the drive.

--Patrick
I haven't tried it, but the system locks up on the boot screen before the boot bar is halfway done, so I don't think target disk mode would work.

It doesn't matter though, because the day after it died I disassembled it so I could recover the OSX drive onto my new machine, and I pulled out the windows drive at that point as well. It's sitting here on my desk, waiting for me. (I replaced the optical drive with the original hard drive, and the hard drive with an SSD a year or two ago)

I haven't tried it, but the system locks up on the boot screen before the boot bar is halfway done, so I don't think target disk mode would work.
Target disk is a pre-boot hardware feature that basically turns the computer into an external device, so it's always something to keep in mind. It does not even require an operating system be installed, there have been times I've used it just to "lend" an optical drive to another computer.

--Patrick

Once again my copy of WinX fails to install the Fall Creator's Update (1709). Now, though, I have a code that it spat out at me: 0x80070652.

In doing a search on that, they suggest two things: disable (preferably uninstall) your antivirus, and disable your USB drivers.

Seriously? Seriously?

GasBandit

Staff member
Verdict on the steam controller: Not ready for prime time. Not even as good as a (yeech) standard contemporary XB/PS controller. Works fine one minute, becomes a confusing mass of errors the next. Stops working at random moments for no reason. Touchpad controls are squirrely as fuck. Relies on you knowing arcane button combinations to turn it on/off or connect it to steam link/dongle. Often just doesn't. Fucking. Work. And forums are so clogged with complaints and questions, it's impossible to find a useful fix other than "stand in a bucket facing south during a new moon and press steambutton-x while turning everything on and off in your house at once, then uninstall and reinstall all the drivers and start over, that worked for me."

Infuriating.

And, by some miracle, I managed to upgrade finally to 1709.

How, you ask? By disconnecting ALL of my USB connections - including the Apple iPod connector I had in back, along with all of the USB 3 external drives, and everything except my mouse.

And even then, I had to do a manual restart twice - once halfway through (which was expected) and the other after it finally hit 100% (which was unexpected).

Oh, surprise - unlike other versions of WinX, you can't shut off Cortana. Ugh.

surprise - unlike other versions of WinX, you can't shut off Cortana. Ugh.
It's no surprise. Most of the rest of us have been on 1709 for a while now, remember?
My biggest beef was the unsolicited addition of the additional "features" like the People bar. Listen, I didn't have them before. Don't go turning on all the new stuff by default, instead give me a menu or something on first boot that takes me through all the newly added features and lets me choose for each one.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh, surprise - unlike other versions of WinX, you can't shut off Cortana. Ugh.
So, is Cortana like Internet Explorer taking over file browsing, where you just have to get used to it because it's just how things are done now, and now most people have forgotten that there was resistance to the change? Or is it like Autoplay where it's not only a bad idea, but even Microsoft is going to eventually regret having it on by default because it causes to many problems?

So, is Cortana like Internet Explorer taking over file browsing, where you just have to get used to it because it's just how things are done now, and now most people have forgotten that there was resistance to the change? Or is it like Autoplay where it's not only a bad idea, but even Microsoft is going to eventually regret having it on by default because it causes to many problems?
When it comes to Microsoft, I suspect the answer is "yes."

figmentPez

Staff member
Tech that exists solely to be eye-catching:

And, no, this isn't another Linus Tech Tips bit of kludging together a tech monstrosity, this RGB fan display is a commercial product. I assume it's sole purpose is for businesses to create eye catching product displays, because I can't think of any practical use.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tech that exists solely to be eye-catching:

And, no, this isn't another Linus Tech Tips bit of kludging together a tech monstrosity, this RGB fan display is a commercial product. I assume it's sole purpose is for businesses to create eye catching product displays, because I can't think of any practical use.
Some convention halls should use them in every booth, imo, to deal with the heat.

figmentPez

Staff member
Some convention halls should use them in every booth, imo, to deal with the heat.
I wonder how warm the air coming off of them is? The LEDs probably don't make much heat, but the total amount of electronics, with processor, storage, etc might make for a warm breeze.

Huh. So, the Google Chromecast (gen 2) can be used to turn my TV on and change the video input to the one that it's plugged into; but it cannot detect when the TV turns off. However, with my FireTV stick (gen unknown), I can only turn the TV on if the video input on the TV is already set to the one that the FireTV stick is plugged into; but it can tell when I've turned off the TV, and will (at least in Amazon Video's native client) stop playback within 5 minutes or so. Odd.

Huh. So, the Google Chromecast (gen 2) can be used to turn my TV on and change the video input to the one that it's plugged into; but it cannot detect when the TV turns off. However, with my FireTV stick (gen unknown), I can only turn the TV on if the video input on the TV is already set to the one that the FireTV stick is plugged into; but it can tell when I've turned off the TV, and will (at least in Amazon Video's native client) stop playback within 5 minutes or so. Odd.
Have you tried switching the ports around? Our old TV had an issue where our Chromecast would stay powered indefinitely (after turning the TV off) in HDMI #1, but no such issue happened in HDMI #2-4.

I've run into more than one video display device now that didn't provide full functionality on every port. It's nice when they call it out (like my new monitor specifically states which port is 1.4 and which is 2.0) but that isn't always provided even in the manual.

Have you tried switching the ports around? Our old TV had an issue where our Chromecast would stay powered indefinitely (after turning the TV off) in HDMI #1, but no such issue happened in HDMI #2-4.
While I haven't done so specifically to test for this behavior, it's now been used in each of the three HDMI ports, and exhibited the same behavior each time. I think it would be really interesting to be tasked with tracking down all of the little idiosyncrasies between various brands and models and generations and such; but I have a feeling it would lead to people wanting to task me to track down things like Meltdown and Spectre and that's a whole lot less fun.

:Leyla:

Man, this has really been a ride, from the start of the month when we were only seeing signs of something big and guessing, to now where we have a solution that's broken...

Yeah it’s been a cluster all right.

Too bad my computer is too old for the companies to still care about it. Yes, too bad.

—Patrick

Yeah it’s been a cluster all right.

Too bad my computer is too old for the companies to still care about it. Yes, too bad.

—Patrick
This situation showing up is the first time in ages that I've been glad that I have a Phenom chip and don't have to worry about any of Intel's crap. My wife, however, was not so lucky.

GasBandit

Staff member
That InSpectre app says I'm okay with Meltdown, but not with Spectre... *SIGH*
Yeah. Meltdown can be mitigated with an OS patch (which Microsoft has already put out), but Spectre requires new firmware... and like the article I just posted said, Intel goofed on the firmware update and needs to rewrite it.

Shocking everyone, AMD actually made money last year.
Shocking no one, you mean.
They put out a CPU product that actually worked better than expected, turned the CPU market on its ear, and made Intel so scared they released their 7xxx-series CPUs haphazardly and without a clear plan. Also, while their current graphics cards are not able to keep up with NVIDIA's when it comes to gaming, they are essentially on par when it comes to mining (and who really uses GPUs for gaming any more?).
And AMD knows it.

--Patrick