The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

Pretty sure hosting the summer games is ALSO a massive scam.

What was the last time the Olympics ACTUALLY increased tourism/ job rates/ quality of life for the city it was held in? Seems to me that the only buildings that ever get much use after the fact are the Olympic Villages which get converted to social housing. Nobody has got any use for a fucking velodrome.

I'm so proud of Calgary for not falling for this shit.
That's the funny part, Calgary in '88 might qualify for that label, but considering I was 6 at the time, I don't exactly know the political history of such things, costs, etc. All I remember from things said after-the-fact is that at least we didn't have a decades-long debt like Montreal did.

GasBandit

Staff member
IIRC, it's said that Calgary '88 actually managed to turn a profit, the facilities remained in use for 25 years after the games, and Calgary '88 is credited with kickstarting a boost in Canadian winter olympic sports, leading to them getting more medals over the years.

Granted I was also 9 at the time, so this is all second hand info.

Looks like the glow in the dark dinosaurs are no longer for sale through the mint. EBay has some, though. Didn't realize they were collectors coins. I thought they were just a special run of coins like our state quarters. Sift through a change jar and you could find half of them, kind of thing. Still, they are really cool.

Looks like the glow in the dark dinosaurs are no longer for sale through the mint. EBay has some, though. Didn't realize they were collectors coins. I thought they were just a special run of coins like our state quarters. Sift through a change jar and you could find half of them, kind of thing. Still, they are really cool.
The thing about currency/coinage destined specifically for the collector/collectible market is that when a national Treasury strikes a quarter but then sells it for $5, it’s still technically only worth 25¢, which means they are literally printing “free” money.

—Patrick

Power out at work.
Power out at home.
But I'm at the service centre with coffee and wifi getting snow tires put on my wifes car.

Source of outage said to be primary line in Port Hawkesbury generating station failed in storm causing cascade faillure across the maritimes.

There are two types of people in Nova Scotia;

The chunk donkeys that live on the Penninsula.

And the normal people who have to deal with them.

Reminds me of the Texas cop who entered the wrong apartment.

This probably would have ended tragically if the SUV hadn't been white.