The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

Yeah, no fatalities. Which is kind of a miracle.

(in fact, babies were born during the fleeing of the population)

Meanwhile in Newfoundland, church attendance is up as everyone comes back home.
Also, ALL the fundraising concerts!
And everyone who's had family out there has gotten word that they are safe.
Nothing like a nice, healthy dose of Purpose to get people moving.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
The conspiracy theorist/oil employee in me can't help but think that it's awfully convenient that this fire threatened the overstocked oil sands, which conveniently bumped barrel prices back up.

The conspiracy theorist/oil employee in me can't help but think that it's awfully convenient that this fire threatened the overstocked oil sands, which conveniently bumped barrel prices back up.
Mr. Scientist! Could the oil sands catch on fire themselves? Sorta like that coal mine that has been burning for decades?

The Toronto Star published this political cartoon by Theo Moudakis recently:

View attachment 21073
The more I thought about it, the less I liked about it. So I decided to do a closer examination of it and criticized it. Have a look:

https://nickpiers.com/2016/05/10/theo-moudakis-fort-mcmurry-cartoon-a-criticism/
That was an awesome critique, Nick.

It makes me wonder what the artist was thinking, to decide to draw them looking like they're confronting a villain. :confused:

fade

Staff member
Mr. Scientist! Could the oil sands catch on fire themselves? Sorta like that coal mine that has been burning for decades?
I can't help but feel like this is a reference I'm missing. I'm more about the finding it than the sands themselves, to be honest. I would suspect there are volatiles being released that are quite flammable, but it's probably not something that would easily set off on its own, or it would've happened a lot by now.

fade

Staff member
They are asphalt, but asphalt that's been geologically sealed. Again, not an expert here, but they're going to have a higher volatile content than, say, a road surface.

Is the Fort Mac fire almost under control? It's having a rather "interesting" effect on our weather down here in the northern part of the Midwest.

As in, my wife can't recall it ever snowing on her birthday...

Well, the fuel around the city is spent so it's spreading away, but only divine intervention is going to stop that blaze. It's currently so fucking massive that it's likely to go until winter.

Apparently sometimes our ambassadors are somewhat "more badass" than the average Ambassador: Ambassador Kevin Vickers, former House sergeant-at-arms, tackles protester in Dublin

I can somewhat understand the protestor's perspective on this, though he snuck into an invitation-only event, and that's not necessarily the place to make a political point, though I'll admit sometimes it is.

Either way, apparently our Ambassadors see a problem and DO something once in a while.

Well done.

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparently sometimes our ambassadors are somewhat "more badass" than the average Ambassador: Ambassador Kevin Vickers, former House sergeant-at-arms, tackles protester in Dublin

I can somewhat understand the protestor's perspective on this, though he snuck into an invitation-only event, and that's not necessarily the place to make a political point, though I'll admit sometimes it is.

Either way, apparently our Ambassadors see a problem and DO something once in a while.

Well done.
"I got tackled by the Canadian Ambassador" will make a hell of a story down at the pub for the rest of that guy's life.

Who remembers the one last year when the guy bought a trip around the world then he and his girlfriend broke up so he needed to find a Canadian passport holder with the exact same name?

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm married (Hi @Dirona my lovely wife!) I'd be ideal. I'm FROM Alberta, but I live out east here, and thus could EASILY fake that I worked out west, or live there and came out, whatever. And Cape Breton is a ferry ride away from where I live, so that's easy too. And I own a suit, so I'm set for any wedding I'm not in the Wedding Party for.

If I was single, I'd totally browse these things For The Lulz, and maybe go on one or two!

This is legit.

Tabarnaque
My Dad went to McGill, and worked in Quebec for a couple of years before coming back to Alberta. He still (very) occasionally curses in French, in the ways described in the article. So not only accurate, but it sticks too!

No one noticed my little post over in "What's For Dinner?"...

Milwaukee Burger Company down in Wausau. Their pub burger was good with applewood smoked bacon, but it was the SIDE that blew me away.

Poutine.

Yes. POUTINE. With genuine fresh (and HUGE) cheese curds, homestyle fries, and brown gravy.

My wife was giving me hell over how much I was savoring every bite of the stuff.

They're expensive but I flew with them twice this past week. It was pretty good except for mediocre sandwiches.

They're expensive but I flew with them twice this past week. It was pretty good except for mediocre sandwiches.
Our family has about a 50% lost luggage rate with them. And seats are awful everywhere, but there it "feels" worse for some reason.

Westjet is better. Not a LOT better, but better.

Our family has about a 50% lost luggage rate with them. And seats are awful everywhere, but there it "feels" worse for some reason.

Westjet is better. Not a LOT better, but better.
Flew with WestJet 4 times, every flight was delayed by at least 15 minutes, last one by 2+ hours, in perfect weather conditions.

Beyond flight crashing, I'd say flight delays are 2nd worst to me. Lost Luggage sucks but never got the experience. I always fly with my more comfort clothes and anything of value on me or on my carry on. Still would suck to lose it but to be honest, it's more the fault of the airport than the airliner.

Air Canada seats aren't great but I pay for preferred seats and they're quite nice... just mediocre food.

Both suck hard compared to anything like Swiss Air though.

WestJet Customer Service "oooh, looks like there is a complimentary gratuity of $50 on your account, did we lose your luggage dear?"
@Squidleybits "No you caused irreparable nerve damage to my arm causing me to lose all function in it."
WestJet Customer Service "Alrighty then, would you like me apply this to your current charge?"
@Squidleybits "Oh, please do..."