The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

Like has been said, it's something you folks in the US does that no other people do. I have an electric kettle. Everyone I know has an electric kettle or just a plain stove top one we use.

I rarely even use my microwave. To heat water? Jesus christ.

Just plug in the electric kettle.

figmentPez

Staff member
Just plug in the electric kettle.
I don't own one, and I don't know many people who do.

Although, I do wonder about your extreme reaction to using the microwave for the task. What's so terrible about using a microwave?

If cultural means lazy and irresponsible, then yes you're correct.

In practical terms, it's actually dangerous.

As someone who always drinks distilled water and never tap water....

Get an electric heater, you uncivilized dirty people.

figmentPez

Staff member
If cultural means lazy and irresponsible, then yes you're correct.

In practical terms, it's actually dangerous.

As someone who always drinks distilled water and never tap water....

Get an electric heater, you uncivilized dirty people.
It's not dangerous if you're not using distilled water. If you are using distilled water, you can just put a wooden skewer in the cup and that will provide enough nucleation sites to allow the water to boil.

I use filtered tap water, so it's not going to explode on me. Maybe there's something wrong with your tap water, but mine is perfectly fine to drink (it tastes better filtered, though).

Canadian cities are fine to drink. It's only places like reserves that we allow to get undrinkable usually.

I've been using an electric kettle in China for years now that I couldn't imagine not using one anymore---despite the fact I never had one in the US.

I'll admit that growing up I used the microwave for boiling water, though that was because the ancient microwave we had (an Amana one from 1970-something) had a temperature probe that it would heat it to exactly what temperature you wanted. And the probe itself meant that we never had an explosion either, though by definition, if you set it below boiling, again, it was never an issue.

But since modern microwaves don't have that, I use a kettle now. I don't have a strong opinion on either method, so this is actually fascinating as a Canadian that has done both.

The bagged milk thing blew my freaking mind when I went to Quebec, and a girl from Ontario was picking up bagged milk like it was just some regular thing. NO

That is weird.

The bagged milk thing blew my freaking mind when I went to Quebec, and a girl from Ontario was picking up bagged milk like it was just some regular thing. NO

That is weird.
Growing up, that's the way we had it. TBH? It's a bitch. Firstly, they flop around like saggy tits. One wrong maneuver and you'll be cleaning. Secondly, they spoil frequently. Thirdly, we don't drink milk enough before at least 1 bag spills.

Thus I've been buying plastic containers for a decade now and it rules.

I go through so much milk that the bags never bothered me. Never known it any other way.

And I don't boil water in the microwave, that's crazy to me. I have re-heated hot beverages in the microwave though, like if I sit down to do something and forget about my cup of coffee for 2 hours.

The greatest injustice in the world is that even though I now live north of the 45th parallel, I am no closer to a Timmies than I was in Waukesha.

The first two on that website is wrong.

Power bill isn't called a hydro bill everywhere in Canada. I live in Alberta, I do not get my power from hydroelectricity. We call it the power bill. And the second one is technically correct, some cream soda is pink, but they show a can of Fanta, which is clear in colour.

So many are things that are from such localized areas of Canada too. Canada is a big place. Not all Canadians pronounce words the same way or have bagged milk (one of the ones that I've personally have never seen in my entire life).

The tea kettle thing isn't just Canadians, that's almost everywhere on Earth USA. No one but you microwaves water to boil it.
I don't think those were even listed when I posted it. But yeah, their "Canadianisms" are not exactly Canada-wide. It seems to aggregate posts from elsewhere or something? I noticed a few that were kind of repeats.

And microwaving water is weird. My dad always told me it was dangerous. Since he's a firefighter I believed him. Years later I found out that's only really true if you use distilled water, but even so the concept of microwaving water is so incredibly foreign to me it honestly would never even occur to me as an option even if my electric kettle died (And even if I had a microwave). I'd just boil it over the stove.[DOUBLEPOST=1370392918][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's not dangerous if you're not using distilled water. If you are using distilled water, you can just put a wooden skewer in the cup and that will provide enough nucleation sites to allow the water to boil.

I use filtered tap water, so it's not going to explode on me. Maybe there's something wrong with your tap water, but mine is perfectly fine to drink (it tastes better filtered, though).
Town/ City water is definitely safe to drink, but I still prefer not to unless I have at least a Brita filter. My brother in law used to work for one of those proper water filtration system companies, and he had access to lists of what was federally and munipally allowed in water and bottled water- it's pretty gross.

Growing up, we were on a well until I was about 15 at which point my town got town water and everyone had to convert. At one point our well had e-coli and we were told that the only reason we weren't getting sick off it was cause we had been drinking it for so long AS the e coli was spreading and strengthening.

I boiled water in the microwave this week.

Just like an animal!

Ok so it was day old coffee brewed to my standards of manliness, but it counts for microwaving a liquid.

"Do you know who I am?" - Mulcair

Funny to read about. Not going to change anybody's opinions on the guy for any longer than a day, but you can laugh at it just the same.

sure, a bald eagle might claw your eyes out or even abduct your child, but Beavers will straight up level your whole town, destroying everyone and everything you hold dear. they don't fuck around.

(just a joke calm down Muricans)