The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

""It's ridiculous. It's another Toronto Star whatever," he said before getting into his Cadillac Escalade."

Cadillac Escalade?! -> GUILTY

Before it's gone tomorrow, and in case anybody (For some strange reason) never visited google today:
NWMP.jpg

140th anniversary of the formation of the Northwest Mounted Police.

Oh. No, they've kept it in the Hockey Hall of Fame here in Toronto for much longer than that.
And the tradition of players getting it for one day (so that it spends the majority of its time here in Canada) goes back to its inception. I'm really surprised you guys don't know about that.

Make disparaging comments about Alberta beef.
There's a quote from a movie I can't remember by Graham Greene (relatively well known Native Canadian actor) that he uses as a prayer that I'm going to paraphrase here.

"There's no beef like Alberta beef and I'll kill any corn-fed son of a bitch who says otherwise."

lol the new super unfakeable 100's have had a drawback. The super promoted you cannot ever fake these bills reputation has lead to people not checking for forgeries, resulting in? a wave of forgeries being passed off as the new unfakeable 100's

Americans who still find themselves checking this thread may find the following link useful:
http://whatsdifferentincanada.tumblr.com/

Although I do take issue with a few their notes (ie: "washroom" vs "bathroom"- we definitely use the term bathroom, it's "restroom" you never hear here. For my part, it's a bathroom if it's got a bathtub or shower in it, it's a washroom if it doesn't)

Yeah restroom is the weird thing. Fo' sho.

My mother is American so I learned a lot of "American" stuff. For instance, I always said "zee" instead of "zed" when I was young because it was my mom who taught me the ABC's.

My favourite difference is the answer to any question similar to this.

"How far is it from Dallas to Houston?"

An American will give you an answer in terms of length to travel, while a Canadian will give you an answer in how much time it takes to travel.

Yeah restroom is the weird thing. Fo' sho.

My mother is American so I learned a lot of "American" stuff. For instance, I always said "zee" instead of "zed" when I was young because it was my mom who taught me the ABC's.

Ah so nice to see a sliver of civilization remains in the frozen north

figmentPez

Staff member
My favourite difference is the answer to any question similar to this.

"How far is it from Dallas to Houston?"

An American will give you an answer in terms of length to travel, while a Canadian will give you an answer in how much time it takes to travel.
What? You're obviously not asking anyone in Houston then.

Travel is measured in time around here. Going from Houston to Dallas is about 4 hours, shorter if you're a fast driver and don't hit traffic.

Americans who still find themselves checking this thread may find the following link useful:
http://whatsdifferentincanada.tumblr.com/

Although I do take issue with a few their notes (ie: "washroom" vs "bathroom"- we definitely use the term bathroom, it's "restroom" you never hear here. For my part, it's a bathroom if it's got a bathtub or shower in it, it's a washroom if it doesn't)
The first two on that website is wrong.

Power bill isn't called a hydro bill everywhere in Canada. I live in Alberta, I do not get my power from hydroelectricity. We call it the power bill. And the second one is technically correct, some cream soda is pink, but they show a can of Fanta, which is clear in colour.

So many are things that are from such localized areas of Canada too. Canada is a big place. Not all Canadians pronounce words the same way or have bagged milk (one of the ones that I've personally have never seen in my entire life).

The tea kettle thing isn't just Canadians, that's almost everywhere on Earth USA. No one but you microwaves water to boil it.