Well here's what's happening in my neck of the woods starting tomorrow...

Missile Warning Siren Tests to Begin

Civil Defense sirens throughout the state will sound off twice each month starting Dec. 1 as officials start testing their missile warning system.
In addition to testing the general warning typically used for tsunami alerts, the sirens also will play a wailing tone traditionally used for air raids the first workday of each month.
State officials are resurrecting the latter because of tensions between the United States and North Korea over the reclusive country’s nuclear weapons program.
Talmadge Magno, Hawaii County Civil Defense administrator, said the first tone will sound at 11:45 a.m. followed about 15 minutes later by the air-raid warning.

In the event of an actual attack, residents should seek immediate shelter, he said.
Magno said the county is working through its community emergency response teams to help spread the word.
He said both siren tones will be tested each month into the foreseeable future.

@WasabiPoptart

I recall doing duck and cover siren tests in elementary school in the early 80's. As a child I was worried that war would break out in our own back yard, it caused some anxiety which I never expressed to an adult at the time. I imagine with your connection to the military there may be additional stresses involved.

I'm sure you're going to spend time discussing this with your kids - I don't know what the best advice is for how to reassure them and what mental tools you can give them to help them feel safe and capable of handling likely possibilities, though, but please give it some thought and ask them how they're feeling to make sure they don't store anything unresolved for long.

OMG somebody broke into our house and took pictures of our lunch boxes!

Mine being the awesome looking one by the way.

Well you know how pepole add ginger ale to Crown Royal to make the whiskey easier to drink. I add ginger ale to Crown Royal because I can't taste the whiskey anymore....

fade

Staff member
I bring my lunch everyday thank you very much. I just bring it in a fine, upscale reused grocery bag.

Man, as easy as it is to clean vinyl we don't even use that because someone eventually figures out you can poke holes in it. Hardwood chairs are both easy to clean and difficult to damage, so they're the best for the dining area.

Dave

Staff member
So my aunt went into the hospital yesterday with pneumonia. She had the same thing in January and it almost killed her (she went into cardiac arrest but was resuscitated). I went to see her yesterday and while visiting found out that her granddaughter and her family would have to move out because they have a new baby that can't be in the same house as her when she returns. This is a problem because the granddaughter and her husband have been doing all of the housework - cooking, cleaning, etc. - that my elderly aunt & uncle can't do themselves. So I started looking around for a way to help them with meals at the very least.

Holy shit. It's either Meals on Wheel - which is losing out big because of Trump and would not be able to help - or to pay for an elderly person meal service, which the only ones I can find are about $1200 a month. Each. So now we're going to be taking turns making food for them, which will be a huge pain in the ass but it's got to be done.

Am I missing something obvious here? If you can't say because of "family reasons" OK, but I don't instinctively see why this is true.
There are certain illnesses where treatment requires separation from children for typically one of two reasons:

- Immunosuppressants make one particularly vulnerable to colds, flu, pneumonia, and as such living with children may increase risk of receiving such an illness
- Certain types of radiation therapy, usually for cancer, cause the person to emit low levels of radiation, and precautions require that very young children and pregnant mothers do not live with an individual being treated with these therapies.

The first is exactly the reason why.
I'm going through that now to a lesser extent. My kids each brought home several plagues to me in early November and I'm still sick. I'm on two immune suppression drugs and my immune system wasn't awesome to start with.

So this is kind of random but...

I mentioned watching Hidden Figures recently. Excellent movie, I highly recommend it. But interestingly, I found out there's a family connection to it. See, one of the nameless background guys in many of the scenes is my mom's cousin Melvin. Not like he was an extra, I mean Mel worked for NASA at Langley at the time (and still does) and he was literally part of those projects. He had this to say about the movie: "It was good and all but the bathroom thing was nonsense. Kathy used the nearby bathroom because no one cared, she just ignored the 'Whites Only' sign. Also, she was never pretty like that actress."

Melvin has been working for NASA for close to 60 years and is one of the few remaining experts on the characteristics of solid fuel rocket propulsion. He's also currently working on potential manned Mars landing projects, including Hypersonic Inflatable Aerodynamic Decelerators. https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=20160010176

I just thought that was cool.

Dave

Staff member
WHY CAN I NOT GET GOOD NEWS WITHOUT IMMEDIATELY HAVING IT FOLLOWED UP WITH BAD? WHAT THE ABSOLUTE FUCK?!?

*pant**pant**pant*

Taking a deep breath...

Dave

Staff member
So my father in law had surgery on his hip two days ago. He got out of the hospital either yesterday or this morning. My brother in law (who is unemployed - not really pertinent, just outlining the fact that he's in the perfect position to help out) volunteered to stay with my FIL to help him out until he can do things on his own. This morning my BIL packed up and left and nobody quite knows why. So my FIL is hardly able to move and in great pain...and he's stuck all alone. Oh, and he's the one whose wife died a couple of months ago.

So, Sunday I'm driving to Colorado. I've taken next week off so that I can stay with him and take care of him. Last time I was there he treated me like shit (because he's turned into a Fox News, paranoid, cranky old bastard) so this is NOT going to be fun. A friend of his will be staying the night with him, my OTHER BIL will stay Saturday but has to leave when I get there Sunday. The rental car will cost me anywhere from $250 - 450 (they usually put a $200 hold on the card), but my sister in law is going to help us out with that.

But what the ever-loving fuck, man? He just fucking left him there! Who does that?!?[DOUBLEPOST=1512163538,1512163485][/DOUBLEPOST]I'd be leaving sooner, but I have a gig tomorrow night that I can't get out of so I have to do it.

"You've opened up a can of worms."

Why is this phrase used to describe trouble and complications? They're worms in a can, what problems are they gonna get into?

Why is this phrase used to describe trouble and complications? They're worms in a can, what problems are they gonna get into?
Well, if you thought you had originally canned apples, then opening up a can of worms might be problematic.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/31039/how-did-term-open-can-worms-originate

Apparently the trouble isn't what the worms do, it's that they tend to stop being where you want them to be once they're not sealed in the can anymore. You open the can of worms and it causes problems because soon you don't have worms anymore.

What a weird idiom.

Huh. Here I also thought it was that they were going to escape and get into everything.
I assume it's due to the "tradition" of keeping the worms you're going to use for fishing in a can.
(reads article)
Yep. You'll notice in old cartoons that's how a fisherman carries his bait.

--Patrick