so, in the Marvel thread @CeltZ says:

But the complaints about Luke Cage baffle me, much like the ones about The Force Awakens leads: we have NO shortage of white, male leads in ANY genre. Is it really so hard for some people to see a story though eyes that aren't their own sometimes?
Which reminded me. Peele (of Key and Peele) has written and directed a horror movie. Seriously.

And it looks freaking awesome. I can't wait to see it, not just because it looks good, but specifically because it has a black main character and looks like it'll give insight on black issues that I'll never experience, but that people of color experience practically every day.

Why did I post in this thread? Because it seemed random enough ;)

He just took the time to accuse my translation of "doing the thing again" but I guess he doesn't deign us worthy of his translatory prowess.
That was me? Ah, well, using the forum on the phone and all that.[DOUBLEPOST=1475795151,1475794736][/DOUBLEPOST]
Google says the "Loyalty" part isn't quite right, since Google thinks Loyalty should be ""忠誠 and suggests "忠诚" is more "Faith(fulness)."
So..."Family and Faith" instead?
EDIT: Google does have 忠诚 as an alternate for "Loyalty" further down.

--Patrick
Actually I'm almost sure that 忠誠 and 忠诚 are the exact same word except one is written in traditional Chinese and one is written in simplified Chinese.

It is impossible for me to look at the trailers for "Middle-School: Worst years of my life" without cynicism. "Oh no, my principal won't let me express my creativity like the snowflake I am!" TRY BEING BULLIED FOR FIVE STRAIGHT YEARS BECAUSE YOU HAD TROUBLE INTERACTING WITH PEOPLE!

I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Then I noticed who I assume is Chevy Chase sitting in the back.
Then I reverse-searched the image. So many places!

--Patrick

Cajungal

Staff member
"How could we deny her what the other children at school are getting?"

...that is a thing I heard today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I was sleeping!

Gasbandit is pretty much entirely correct.

家 means home, while 庭 means courtyard or court. (So, for example, 法庭, or "law court", means court in a legal context, the place where you conduct litigation. Another example would be 朝廷, or "dynasty court", which means the imperial regime back when China had emperors)

Put together, 家庭 means family. I'm not exactly sure why "home court" would mean family, I suppose we'd have to get a Chinese language historical etymologist to answer that. But 家庭 is pretty much a direct translation for the English word "family".

As another minor aside, "home court" (as in home court advantage) in Chinese is 主場, or "host venue".

The third character, 和, means "and". As another minor aside, this is one of many characters in Chinese that can mean "and", such as 與, 及, 跟 etc. They vary in their level of register and formality, so for example you would use 跟 in a text message to your friend, and 與 in a formal document. The character used in the tattoo, 和, would be considered of a moderate level of formality, usable in almost all contexts.

As yet another minor aside, when read out loud, 和 actually has two pronunciations, and Hàn. The former is considered more formal than the latter.

The last two characters, Terrik is correct that they're two variations of the same character due to different writing systems, 忠诚 in Simplified Chinese and 忠誠 in Traditional (the tattoo uses Simplified). They mean "loyalty" and "sincerity" respectively. Put together, however, they simply mean "loyalty", and the "sincerity" aspect is lost.

The tattoo in its entirety would be translated as "family and loyalty".

I was sleeping!

Gasbandit is pretty much entirely correct.

家 means home, while 庭 means courtyard or court. (So, for example, 法庭, or "law court", means court in a legal context, the place where you conduct litigation. Another example would be 朝廷, or "dynasty court", which means the imperial regime back when China had emperors)

Put together, 家庭 means family. I'm not exactly sure why "home court" would mean family, I suppose we'd have to get a Chinese language historical etymologist to answer that. But 家庭 is pretty much a direct translation for the English word "family".

As another minor aside, "home court" (as in home court advantage) in Chinese is 主場, or "host venue".

The third character, 和, means "and". As another minor aside, this is one of many characters in Chinese that can mean "and", such as 與, 及, 跟 etc. They vary in their level of register and formality, so for example you would use 跟 in a text message to your friend, and 與 in a formal document. The character used in the tattoo, 和, would be considered of a moderate level of formality, usable in almost all contexts.

As yet another minor aside, when read out loud, 和 actually has two pronunciations, and Hàn. The former is considered more formal than the latter.

The last two characters, Terrik is correct that they're two variations of the same character due to different writing systems, 忠诚 in Simplified Chinese and 忠誠 in Traditional (the tattoo uses Simplified). They mean "loyalty" and "sincerity" respectively. Put together, however, they simply mean "loyalty", and the "sincerity" aspect is lost.

The tattoo in its entirety would be translated as "family and loyalty".

I asked my wife about it too, and she told me 家庭和忠诚 sounds weird. Specifically the use of the word 和. Like, she gets what its trying to say, but is very unlikely to say it that way herself.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Poops are like penises, they're never as big as you thought they were. ~ anon

"Your cavalier attitude about the doohickey is going to tear this family apart."

~ things heard on Thanksgiving

Last edited:

Cajungal

Staff member
What was the context?
We don't have a cafeteria, so we started teaming up with local businesses to get hot lunch deliveries. Most of them are pretty gross and not nutritious. This parent was really concerned for her child's health, plus the extra cost, but reasoned that it's not fair for her to not have a lunch delivered if everyone else is getting it. (Everyone else is not getting it.)

So it wasn't said by an improbably malicious school administrator with a vendetta against some plucky young maverick? And here I was hoping you were teaching in an after school special. *kicks pebble down the road*

We don't have a cafeteria, so we started teaming up with local businesses to get hot lunch deliveries. Most of them are pretty gross and not nutritious. This parent was really concerned for her child's health, plus the extra cost, but reasoned that it's not fair for her to not have a lunch delivered if everyone else is getting it. (Everyone else is not getting it.)
That lady needs to get a costco card and stock up on some lunch pale classics. Then send her kid to school with a good lunch.

Costco is the way to go!

Our kids go to a really small school with no cafeteria as well. This year Pita Pit is bringing lunch once a week which is the first really good option the kids have had :)

Alrighty then, couple questions for the board tonight.

1) What the hell is the appeal of kombucha? It's like drinking lightly flavored, slightly carbonated vinegar. Guh.
2) For those of us who are less than follicularly challenged, what shampoo and/or conditioner would you suggest for someone who has long (mid-back length), coarse, fragile hair, who is looking to lose less hair? My wife has had long hair all of her life (except a few times when her mother chopped it off because... reasons?) and it's getting to be very fragile, and looks like it's thinning on top, but is mostly just getting thin individually. It's getting to be a concern for her. She's mostly using shampoo bars from Lush soap and cosmetics these days.