I may actually be functionally insane. We have a memorial service for my wife's grandmother tomorrow, and it's going to be a potluck. My wife (aka the sensible one of the two of us) is taking tiropita. I'm taking pasta salad, cheesecake, and a lime curd and pastry cream pie (but not key lime pie). I uh... I don't have much to do these days.

Maybe I should open a bakery.

BananaHands

Staff member
I may actually be functionally insane. We have a memorial service for my wife's grandmother tomorrow, and it's going to be a potluck. My wife (aka the sensible one of the two of us) is taking tiropita. I'm taking pasta salad, cheesecake, and a lime curd and pastry cream pie (but not key lime pie). I uh... I don't have much to do these days.

I've been in a real cooking frenzy lately too. It's weird.

Hey, if you think one in your area could be successful, you can raise the capital to start one, and you have the passion to do it then why not?

That feeling when you misread your flight info to think it's an hour later than it is, have to cut a ton of people at security, happen to be the randomly checked person, have to dash through the airport holding your pants up because TSA took your belt off, and find out that your flight is boarding later than it was supposed to.

GasBandit

Staff member
That feeling when you misread your flight info to think it's an hour later than it is, have to cut a ton of people at security, happen to be the randomly checked person, have to dash through the airport holding your pants up because TSA took your belt off, and find out that your flight is boarding later than it was supposed to.
Oh man. I've been there. Except I didn't make it. I had to drive like a madman to make my "connecting" flight in Dallas. That was a bad beginning to the suckiest trip ever.

Yeah all things considered it worked out fine. I just feel like a jerk cutting people even if they were ok with it. My flight is direct so not a big deal about the late departure

Happened to me at JFK. Fortunately Mother Nature came to my rescue by blanketing the airport with about 1/2" of snow. Delayed everything about 90m.

--Patrick

For @Bubble181 I was measuring a rod to 0.000001" accuracy and used the wrong reference standard, so I was off by .0104" instead of my expected result of .0004".

Sort of like expecting to find a kitten and instead finding a Volvo.
I once tuned an entire fortepiano to modern pitch by mistake because at the time I did not know there was such a thing as baroque pitch. I was so proud of what I had accomplished, too. I thought, "This whole thing was flat. Boy! Won't he be happy when he finds out I fixed it for him?"

--Patrick

Last edited:
I've been up since 7 AM. SEVEN. In fact, I've been on a regular sleeping schedule for the last month, going to bed usually around midnight and waking at 8. But I woke up at 7 this morning, totally awake and alert.

WHAT KIND OF MONSTER HAVE I BECOME?

I've been up since 7 AM. SEVEN. In fact, I've been on a regular sleeping schedule for the last month, going to bed usually around midnight and waking at 8. But I woke up at 7 this morning, totally awake and alert.

WHAT KIND OF MONSTER HAVE I BECOME?
Have you been doing your 100 situps, 100 pushups, 100 squats, and 10K run like a good little @ThatNickGuy? :D

I haven't mentioned it here yet but my parents left and moved to Sweden two month ago. Since I lived nearby they asked me to go and see if everything is OK with their old house here in Germany now and then.

So this morning my parents old house burned down. Thankfully nobody was hurt but it's still a little weird to see the ruins.
Even weirder, I wanted to go there yesterday but decided to go the next day instead. Good thing I didn't go.

The windmill is (was) part of the building

So I went to Starbucks earlier today to do some reading. There was a guy there who's a regular. I've run into him a few times. Good guy, just REALLY talkative. Like, the kind of person who talks your ear off. He's also the type where ALL his stories are about how great he is (outsmarts or beats up martial artists, shoots better than anyone else, etc). Makes me wonder how many of his tall tales are actually true. For example, he talked about how lightning fast he was and how a Golden Gloves boxer came at him once. He kicked the guy over 5 times before the guy could even hit him once.

Anyway, even though I wanted to read, I did enjoy talking to him. So he gets up to leave and I think, "Cool, now I can continue on my book." But then a friend of his comes in and they start chatting it up. Then this guy sits down with me and he ALSO starts talking my ear off in a very similar way. At that point, I checked my phone and went, "Oh shit, I gotta go. I have a...thing."

So I went to Starbucks earlier today to do some reading. There was a guy there who's a regular. I've run into him a few times. Good guy, just REALLY talkative. Like, the kind of person who talks your ear off. He's also the type where ALL his stories are about how great he is (outsmarts or beats up martial artists, shoots better than anyone else, etc). Makes me wonder how many of his tall tales are actually true. For example, he talked about how lightning fast he was and how a Golden Gloves boxer came at him once. He kicked the guy over 5 times before the guy could even hit him once.

Anyway, even though I wanted to read, I did enjoy talking to him. So he gets up to leave and I think, "Cool, now I can continue on my book." But then a friend of his comes in and they start chatting it up. Then this guy sits down with me and he ALSO starts talking my ear off in a very similar way. At that point, I checked my phone and went, "Oh shit, I gotta go. I have a...thing."
99.99999999995% chance dude is full of shit.