Dear translation client,

This is not a translation issue, but I feel compelled to inform you of this anyway: When you put a 648 word story on a single Powerpoint slide, which already has illustrations and graphics on it, thus forcing the font size to be no bigger than 9... you are doing it wrong.

Dear translation client,

This is not a translation issue, but I feel compelled to inform you of this anyway: When you put a 648 word story on a single Powerpoint slide, which already has illustrations and graphics on it, thus forcing the font size to be no bigger than 9... you are doing it wrong.
Now you need to translate Better Nate Than Lever into Chinese.

--Patrick

Dear translation client,

My eyes are bleeding in sympathy.

We're officially getting a Denny's in the valley and everyone is losing their minds. I don't get it...

I mean, there is no night life here to even necessitate a 24 hour food joint - maybe the college kids I guess? But, we already have multiple breakfast places. Seems unnecessary.

We got a Denny's here, it stayed open for less than 2 years. The most horrible service, food wasn't good, and everyone avoided it after the first 2 months. I've been to "good" Denny's, and this one was the furthest from it in being acceptable.

I do have fond memories of going to Denny's at 3am while in college because we were up anyways and had nothing better to do. I don't know if I've been to a Denny's since then.

We're officially getting a Denny's in the valley and everyone is losing their minds. I don't get it...

I mean, there is no night life here to even necessitate a 24 hour food joint - maybe the college kids I guess? But, we already have multiple breakfast places. Seems unnecessary.
People go to Denny's for breakfast? I've only ever gone there at midnight for late dinner or coffee with whomever I'm with.

People go to Denny's for breakfast? I've only ever gone there at midnight for late dinner or coffee with whomever I'm with.
I mean, maybe? We've never had one so I don't know what people go there for. Everyone's posts, though, talk about 'Yay, breakfast at 3 AM!' so I'm only assuming things here.

I'm going to stick with the adorable locally run place either way.

GasBandit

Staff member

Depending on where you live in the US, Denny's (or Village Inn) is where you go to get food/coffee at 2 AM after a night of hard partying/drinking/smoking the chronic. So much of my late teen/early 20s nights were spent in such places. The food is ok, nothing to write home about, it's just... something that works out in those situations.

Depending on where you live in the US, Denny's (or Village Inn) is where you go to get food/coffee at 2 AM after a night of hard partying/drinking/smoking the chronic. So much of my late teen/early 20s nights were spent in such places. The food is ok, nothing to write home about, it's just... something that works out in those situations.
No no, I get it, it just seems silly. This is Utah. There is ONE bar in this valley. And one liquor store - so partying/drinking/smoking is pretty scare here.

Which, we already have a Village Inn, I wonder if that's where the Denny's is going to set up shop? Convert the old into the new. Or if they're going into a new location?

EDIT: I take that back - there's two bars. I forgot the creepy back alley bar that I've never actually seen anyone at. I'm not even sure it has a name. Anyway. It doesn't matter. I ramble.

Well, we went to Denny's when we were bored, I really didn't do party/drinking culture in college. I was a pretty boring person in THAT respect. It was more "Hey guys, we just played EQ until 2am, WHO WANTS PANCAKES?!" :p

GasBandit

Staff member
No no, I get it, it just seems silly. This is Utah. There is ONE bar in this valley. And one liquor store - so partying/drinking/smoking is pretty scare here.

Which, we already have a Village Inn, I wonder if that's where the Denny's is going to set up shop? Convert the old into the new. Or if they're going into a new location?

EDIT: I take that back - there's two bars. I forgot the creepy back alley bar that I've never actually seen anyone at. I'm not even sure it has a name. Anyway. It doesn't matter. I ramble.
Hah, there was a bar like that in the 'Springs. Called the Sufferin' Bastard. When I went back to visit the folks years later, I made it a point to stop by there to have a beer and see what it was like. Turns out it was a biker bar with friendly employees, cheap drink specials, and live rock music that was WAY TOO LOUD. Couldn't even carry on a conversation. I googled it again just now, and am sad to see that it closed.

Well, we went to Denny's when we were bored, I really didn't do party/drinking culture in college. I was a pretty boring person in THAT respect. It was more "Hey guys, we just played EQ until 2am, WHO WANTS PANCAKES?!" :p
Well, really, it was more of a high school thing for me than college, TBH.

Hah, there was a bar like that in the 'Springs. Called the Sufferin' Bastard. When I went back to visit the folks years later, I made it a point to stop by there to have a beer and see what it was like. Turns out it was a biker bar with friendly employees, cheap drink specials, and live rock music that was WAY TOO LOUD. Couldn't even carry on a conversation. I googled it again just now, and am sad to see that it closed.
Biker Bars in super conservative areas tend to be oasis's in the desert for eccentric people, which is why they tend to be friendly as hell. They know why you are there. It's the same reason THEY are there.

The few times I've been to a Denny's were in high school when the local diners were too crowded. There was something great about getting home from band competitions (or other events) at 11pm-midnight and then hitting the diner. Even better when they had SNL on the one tv, circa 1994-1998.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, I have heard enough about your teenage years already to believe that.
As for college, I don't think there even WAS a Denny's or VI in Socorro when I went to NMT. There was one non-chain diner that was open into the wee hours, but... uh... well, any night I'd been partying I was usually in no condition to go out to eat, unless Campus Security had the munchies on their way back to carrying me back to my dorm room.

Based on the last age poll, I think this article will ring true for a lot of us.

Why '80s Babies Are Different Than Other Millennials

Thanks to the evil genius of Sean Parker, most of us were in college in the heyday of Napster and spent many a night using the university's communal Ethernet to pillage our friends' music libraries at breakneck speeds. With mouths agape at having downloaded the entire OAR album in under five seconds, we built our music libraries faster than any other dorm-dwelling generation in history.

We were the first to experience the beauty of sharing and downloading mass amounts of music faster than you can say, "Third Eye Blind," which made the adoption of MP3 players and music streaming apps perfectly natural. Yet, we still distinctly remember buying cassette singles, joining those scam-tastic CD clubs and recording songs onto tapes from the radio. The very nature of buying and listening to music changed completely within the first 20 years of our lives.
SO MUCH THIS

When we get together with our fellow Oregon Trail Generation friends, we frequently discuss how insanely glad we are that we escaped the middle school, high school and college years before social media took over and made an already challenging life stage exponentially more hellish.
Also this. ;)

As for college, I don't think there even WAS a Denny's or VI in Socorro when I went to NMT. There was one non-chain diner that was open into the wee hours, but... uh... well, any night I'd been partying I was usually in no condition to go out to eat, unless Campus Security had the munchies on their way back to carrying me back to my dorm room.
Sometimes I feel like you are determined to one up yourself until you finally find something that shocks me.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sometimes I feel like you are determined to one up yourself until you finally find something that shocks me.
I'm pretty sure that I'm never going to tell you something that shocks you. Not that there isn't something there that would do the trick, but there's only so much I'm willing to share with someone on the internet.

GasBandit

Staff member
What's the alternative, other than luring said redhead to your chaotic cave of confusion plus cat?

--Patrick
... just not sharing the information in question, I guess.

Also, "Chaotic cave of confusion plus cat" sounds so much better than "Tyson's den of cat ass and murdered time."