Sometimes I try to predict comment threads on posts. Like, someone updates the Whine thread here, and I anticipate what will be said (very occasionally I even try to guess by whom), and I don't contribute to the conversation, even though I have stuff to say, because I feel like after people say stuff I expect, I shouldn't... say... other... things.

It doesn't really make sense.

Sometimes I try to predict comment threads on posts. Like, someone updates the Whine thread here, and I anticipate what will be said (very occasionally I even try to guess by whom), and I don't contribute to the conversation, even though I have stuff to say, because I feel like after people say stuff I expect, I shouldn't... say... other... things.
I shall forever endeavor to keep life interesting.
Feel free to join in.

--Patrick

I mean, I'm not that interesting. Everyone else is boring, but I'm not interesting.
Man's got sideburns made of pure shadow, still doesn't see he has all the makings of a supervillain. What more do you want? :p

Chad, you're plenty interesting...And even if you're not, people still care for what happens in your life, because it happens to you, not because the actual happenings are all that impressive/important/special. Heck, most of what goes in both this and the Minor Rant and Minor Win threads are just small everyday occurrences. Doesn't mean it's not fun to share a win/nice to get a rant off your chest/have someone, even from across the globe, sympathize about that asshole bus driver who closed the doors in your face/helpful to have someone to support you while you stop smoking/whatever.

fade

Staff member

It doesn't really make sense.
Isn't knowing what people are going to say just part of friendship? We've all been together for a while, so I imagine we've all done a fair bit of that.

@WasabiPoptart, you'll find this interesting:

So remember that idiot I posted about not long ago that had been harassing Brianna Wu, claimed to be a marine, yadda yadda yadda?

The whole thing was one huge, ad-libbed trolling.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephberns...really-a-trolling-sketch-comedian#.wqn1785zay

I have to admit, I'm a little impressed he and his friend managed to keep this facade going for TWO YEARS. I think he took things too far with the Brianna Wu shit, though. She's already harassed enough as it is and he wasted her time when she tried to file a restraining order against the fictional Jace Conners. He incited harassment and made a bad situation worse.

Worse, in a final livestream, towards the end, they started saying they were going to make pro-feminist, anti-patriarchy videos while screaming that GamerGate ruined his life, and to support Wu's Patreon. So not only has he done all this shit, but he clearly thinks the whole thing is still for shits and giggles, hasn't apologized, and is still trolling people. Though apparently now he's getting incessantly harassed, himself. So at least he'll get a taste of the sort of thing he's incited or supported.

Still, like I said, I admit I'm a little impressed he managed to keep up this act for two years in this day and age. I'm surprised it took this long for internet "detectives" to make him come clean.

I really think up until the car accident video people just thought he was a dumbass stoner with nothing better to do than make up a fantasy life online.

I've given it a lot of thought and if I could give my family a power through a wish it'd be one thing: Comfortable skin. My hands itch in extreme weather, my brother's face need all SORTS of creams, and my dad's feet are nightmare. Fuck super strength, super speed, fuck stopping time which is the absolute best solo power, I WANT TO STOP ITCHING!

GasBandit

Staff member
Why. Why why WHY DID NONE OF YOU EVER TELL ME ABOUT POPCORN TIME

THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER

ALL THE FREE PIRACY OF BITTORENT

ALL THE CONVENIENCE OF NETFLIX

IT WORKS ON PC

IT WORKS ON ANDROID/IOS

IT STREAMS TO CHROMECAST

IT DOES EVERYTHING

Apparentely work is sending me to Oman in a couple of weeks. I get to escape the shittiest March weather for nice, dry, 25° desert weather.[DOUBLEPOST=1425766905,1425766870][/DOUBLEPOST]

IT WORKS ON PC

IT WORKS ON ANDROID/IOS

IT STREAMS TO CHROMECAST

IT DOES EVERYTHING
Wait, it works on PC? When I try to open it on PC all I get is an image. I've been watching Agents of Shield on my tablet.

Attachments

GasBandit

Staff member
Apparentely work is sending me to Oman in a couple of weeks. I get to escape the shittiest March weather for nice, dry, 25° desert weather.[DOUBLEPOST=1425766905,1425766870][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wait, it works on PC? When I try to open it on PC all I get is an image. I've been watching Agents of Shield on my tablet.
Works fine on mine. I just watched Big Hero 6 on my PC, then using my phone and chromecast, watched Lucy on my TV, both in 1080p.

Get the PC client from popcorntime.io, get the android client from popcorn-time.se[DOUBLEPOST=1425767485][/DOUBLEPOST]
popcorn.png

GasBandit

Staff member
Weird. I just re-downloaded it and it works now. This changes everything.
The only downside to it is the selection. For example, in their anime section, they have anime going back as far as detective conan (and more maybe), and as ecchi as Kiss-x-Sis, but they don't have all the perfectly ordinary, yet underappreciated niche titles like Big O. Checking IPTorrents, the torrent for it there has 14 seeds despite it being years old (the torrent is 3 years old, but the series came out in 1999).

So... not as comprehensive as genuine high-grade piracy... but no licensing/region snarls like Netflix. And I'm astounded at how quickly what I want to watch streams. It's just as fast as streaming from netflix or crackle. Can't tell a difference at all.

I've been using it on my (android) tablet since last summer; someone at work recommended it. But I've been frustrated with it not working on my PC.

Now if only I had a smart TV or at least a laptop, I could get it on my TV...

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been using it on my (android) tablet since last summer; someone at work recommended it. But I've been frustrated with it not working on my PC.

Now if only I had a smart TV or at least a laptop, I could get it on my TV...
Pony up 30 bucks for a chromecast. Totally worth it. Plugs into an HDMI port, boom. With the right app, you can stream just about anything to it. I use VideoStream for stuff I already have downloaded, and Popcorn Time supports chromecast natively.

Pony up 30 bucks for a chromecast. Totally worth it. Plugs into an HDMI port, boom. With the right app, you can stream just about anything to it. I use VideoStream for stuff I already have downloaded, and Popcorn Time supports chromecast natively.
$40 plus $10 monthly in Canada.

GasBandit

Staff member
$40 plus $10 monthly in Canada.
For videostream? That's the "premiere" version with the phone client.

The chrome (browser) app for PC is free. I just remote control my pc from my phone with teamviewer and load files that way to stream to the chromecast.

But like I said, that's only for stuff I already downloaded the old hard way. You can chromecast straight out of popcorn time.

For videostream? That's the "premiere" version with the phone client.

The chrome (browser) app for PC is free. I just remote control my pc from my phone with teamviewer and load files that way to stream to the chromecast.

But like I said, that's only for stuff I already downloaded the old hard way. You can chromecast straight out of popcorn time.
Ah, I see. I was looking at some iTunes music offer thing. The Chromecast itself is only $40, no monthly fee.

I think I'm sold on this. Definitely seems worth it. Also it's insane to me they think they can charge $10 a month to stream my iTunes to my TV when USB drives exist, let alone the dozens of free music streaming options available.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Lol I just looked at their "Detective conan" thinking "you know, I kinda fell off that one but maybe it'd be interesting to see more of it..."

And the list goes

...episode 29
episode 30
episode 31
episode 641
episode 642..."

WELL THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY

IT WORKS ON PC

IT WORKS ON ANDROID/IOS

IT STREAMS TO CHROMECAST

IT DOES EVERYTHING
Honestly? I thought you already knew.
Also, I'm not one to foment casual piracy.

--Patrick

Popcorn time is interesting, but a lot of user already getting cease and desist orders and have to pay up to 815 €. So I will pass.