figmentPez

Staff member
Bubble, You and I have already been down this road, if you are talking to a north american person they probably have never had what you consider milk chocolate. I remember being told that our chocolate is mostly filler and wax compared to chocolate from continental europe.
Just how rare is "real chocolate" anyway? Does the real stuff not even get imported to the US? Are even niche chocolate makers like Chocolove making crap? Because I can sure as hell tell the difference between something like Hershey or Russell Stover, and what I consider to be good chocolate.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna throw this out there, I didn't think the chocolate in Europe was anything special compared to the non-hersheys stuff here. I admittedly didn't go to Germany or Belgium but still...

Of course now I'm thinking about the pastries over there and am becoming incredibly bitter and jealous.

GasBandit

Staff member
"Give me all the bacon (and eggs) that you have. Wait. Wait, I'm worried what you just heard was "Give me a lot of bacon (and eggs)." What I said was, "Give me ALL the bacon (and eggs) that you have." Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

"Give me all the bacon (and eggs) that you have. Wait. Wait, I'm worried what you just heard was "Give me a lot of bacon (and eggs)." What I said was, "Give me ALL the bacon (and eggs) that you have." Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson
I know what I'm about, son.

It's time to rewatch Parks...

Went to my Aunt and Uncle's place this weekend, THE FOOD it was an absolute delight. I wish my stomach had more shelves, otherwise I'd have ate five more plates.

Went to my Aunt and Uncle's place this weekend, THE FOOD it was an absolute delight. I wish my stomach had more shelves, otherwise I'd have ate five more plates.
I just had a sudden flashback to my childhood. Wasn't there a book where this boy claims his ribs are shelves that hold the food he eats?

fade

Staff member
After working on a webcomic for years I know I will never tease an inker as a tracer. I am a pretty good penciler, but I cannot ink worth a damn. There is a ton of skill involved in translating a medium with subtle gradations into one without.

While I agree that bacon is mighty tasty, I think we have gone a little nutso with it. It doesn't need to be in, on, under, infused with EVERYTHING. It's like Hedberg's bit about turkey.

While I agree that bacon is mighty tasty, I think we have gone a little nutso with it. It doesn't need to be in, on, under, infused with EVERYTHING. It's like Hedberg's bit about turkey.
In the late 90's, there was a bit of a pork belly surplus, so the marketing wizards tried to build demand. The glut receded in the early 00's but we were stuck with baconeverything by then.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Holy crap, this is brilliant:

"guys the hyatt is having a 'cleanest room' contest for anime midwest and the 5 cleanest rooms will win their rooms free for the whole weekend :O"

With all the horror stories that I've heard of how rooms are left after geek conventions, this seems like a really good idea for the hotel.

figmentPez

Staff member
When did society get to the point where an ad for a four bladed razor is mocking other brands for having "blades out the wazoo"?

I know, it's like some people can't just shave a second time, or something.
I still want to see some (parody) razor commercial talk about how it has "infinite blades" and have them all mounted on a conveyer system like a belt sander.

--Patrick

When the two bladed razor came out when I was a kid, Dan Aykroyd did and SNL commercial for a 3 bladed razor, "because you will buy anything."

God, I wish I could find that video.

Not Dan.

One of the very first commercial parodies on SNL (ever!) was for the Triple Trac Razor Blade, which boasted “not just two blades in one system, but three stainless, platinum teflex-coated blades melded together to form one incredible shaving cartridge.” This was hilarious in 1975, when two blades were already a “crazy” amount of razor blades. But as we all know, the Gillette Mach 3 was created in the 1990s, followed by the Schick Quattro, which has four blades. The Triple Trac was created for the guy who would “believe anything.” So clearly, some guys still do.
[DOUBLEPOST=1404394793,1404394401][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh heck! I watched the first episode of SNL! I was like, 8!

Triple-Trac

Announcer.....Andrew Duncan
Caveman.....Al Franken

[ FADE IN on a caveman on his knees by a river ]

Announcer (V/O): In the dawn of civilization, long before the Bronze Age, man first began his search for the close shave.

[ The caveman takes a club and hits himself in the face. DISSOLVE to the announcer speaking to the camera against a black background ]

Announcer: Since then, man has been ardently striding to design the perfect shaving instrument.

[ Shots of various razors are shown ]

Announcer (V/O): From the straight razor, to the safety razor, to the injector system, amd finally the highly acclaimed twinblade cartridge.

[ The announcer picks up a twinblade and shows it to the camera ]

Announcer: Almost perfect, yet not quite the superlative groom. Introducing the Triple-Trac.

[ DISSOLVE to a close-up of the three-bladed Triple-Trac razor ]

Announcer (V/O): Not just two blades in one system, but three stainless, platinum teflex-coated blades melded together to form one incredible shaving cartridge, easily fitted into your old twinblade holder. Triple-Trac's triple-threat cartridge, with more close shaves than ever before. Here's how it works.

[ DISSOLVE to a cartoon showing a how the Triple-Trac shaves a whisker ]

Announcer (V/O): The first blade grabs at the whisker, tugging it away from your face to protect it from the second blade.

[ The cartoon shows how the Triple-Trac yanks painfully at the whisker ]

Announcer (V/O): Blade number two catches and digs into the stubble before it has the chance to snap back and injure you, pulling it farther out so that it is now ready for shearing.

[ The cartoon shows an even more painful whisker-yanking ]

Announcer (V/O): Triple-Trac's third blade, a finely-honed bonded platinum instrument, cuts cleanly through the whisker at its base, leaving your face as smooth as a billiard ball.

[ Finally, the cartoon shows the Triple-Trac completely shaving the whisker ]

[ DISSOLVE back to the announcer against the black background, holding up a Triple-Trac ]

Announcer: The Triple-Trac. Because you'll believe anything.

[ FADE ]

Those crappy multi-bladed over-expensive razors make me break out every time. And I never get a clean shave. I always find little spots of stubble that need touching up later.

I find that I get a better shave, no break-outs, and save money using a safety razor (and not that overpriced Art of Shaving hipster bullshit, either)

The blades I use cost me 43 cents apiece and I usually get a lot shaves out of them before I toss them--I haven't even used up a 10-pack after a year and a half. The little jar of mug shaving soap I got cost like $8, but I'm not even close to making a dent in it. It'll probably last me til I'm 50. Heh. I've always hated shaving. And I've especially hated the huge cost associated with it. Who'd have thought that I'd have to go back to 50-year-old technology to get a decent fucking shave that didn't cost me an arm and a leg?

The blades I use cost me 43 cents apiece and I usually get a lot shaves out of them before I toss them--I haven't even used up a 10-pack after a year and a half. The little jar of mug shaving soap I got cost like $8, but I'm not even close to making a dent in it. It'll probably last me til I'm 50. Heh. I've always hated shaving. And I've especially hated the huge cost associated with it. Who'd have thought that I'd have to go back to 50-year-old technology to get a decent fucking shave that didn't cost me an arm and a leg?
Hmm. Feathers usually have the reputation of super-duper-uber sharp for the first shave or two, then a very steep dropoff. I'm about halfway through a 200 blade set of NOS Gillette Super Stainless I got in 2009 for $20 off the bay. It'll still be a couple years before I need more.

Hmm. Feathers usually have the reputation of super-duper-uber sharp for the first shave or two, then a very steep dropoff. I'm about halfway through a 200 blade set of NOS Gillette Super Stainless I got in 2009 for $20 off the bay. It'll still be a couple years before I need more.
I only shave about once a week (though sometimes I skip a week or two), and clearly (based on my photos) not my entire face--just my neck and cheeks. I usually get 5-6 shaves out of them before I toss them.

I got Feather blades because some shaving site recommended them when I was researching safety razors. Looking on the internet now, I see countless horror stories about how they're "too sharp" and can cut you bloody if you're not super experienced with them. Heh. I never had any problems, starting from my first shave with a safety razor.

Too sharp? The sharper the razor, the less likely you are to accidentally cut yourself, so long as you're not a doofus and dragging the blade laterally across your face.

Though, those of you that have seen my pictures know that I gave the boot to razors a long time ago.

After doing a bit more research, I'm convinced there's a large degree of hyperbolic Internet Expert One-upmanship-ism at play on shaving forums