So yeah I signed up for a 7 day free trial of what I THOUGHT was an internet business scam. Turns out...its a internet education scam. UGH! Glad I got the free version, cos I don't want to pay 45 bucks a month to learn how to set up an ebay account.

I have never experienced freezing rain before. And I just want to say...it's absoutely terrifying! Trying to drive in it...I just...haven't experienced that before. I hope it warms up by the time I need to go home. I leave somewhat early to go in to work, so the roads were pretty empty, I know they'll be much busier when I go home. Ugh...please, bring back the fog! I can handle fog! I'm well seasoned to drive in fog, but not freezing rain!

I have never experienced freezing rain before. And I just want to say...it's absoutely terrifying! Trying to drive in it...I just...haven't experienced that before. I hope it warms up by the time I need to go home. I leave somewhat early to go in to work, so the roads were pretty empty, I know they'll be much busier when I go home. Ugh...please, bring back the fog! I can handle fog! I'm well seasoned to drive in fog, but not freezing rain!
Even by us northerners who are used to such things, freezing rain can be completely terrifying.

It's just weird because we have NEVER gotten it down/over here. We get this insane inversion because of being in a valley - the air has no where to go (so it's ridiculously foggy). And we get quite a bit of snow - 3 to 4 feet is pretty average (I actually think I'm underestimating...). But this rain!?? Crazy. I'm sorry you guys have to go through it more often than I do.

See, I've grown up with strong winters and I love them. I never get cabin fever as there's so much to do! Skiing, sledding, snow-shoeing, winter hiking, snowmobiling. Admittedly I haven't gotten to do as much of those since my sons rolled around but that will change once they're a little older.

Freezing rain still sucks though.

See, I've grown up with strong winters and I love them. I never get cabin fever as there's so much to do! Skiing, sledding, snow-shoeing, winter hiking, snowmobiling. Admittedly I haven't gotten to do as much of those since my sons rolled around but that will change once they're a little older.

Freezing rain still sucks though.

I find that doing those activities I get cold. There are 2 things in this world that I truly hate. Spiders are one, and being cold is two, so most of that stuff is out for me. I do enjoy snowmobiling, but we don't have the toys, just my in-laws do, so we go with them when we can. (Although, they probably hate it when I go cause I've rolled or done something else almost everytime we go.)

Summer is where it's at for me. I can go frolfing/play frisbee, hiking, jogging, swimming, more jogging (I love jogging can you tell?), lay out in the sun, wear actual clothes and not a hoodie (it's to cold for anything but a hoodie from Nov-March), I can walk to the store, I can bike to work and best of all, it's con season in the summer. :) Also...fruit is back in season in the summer...now, it's all out of season so I don't get any...boo hiss.

it's to cold for anything but a hoodie from Nov-March
Holy crap... if I were to just wear a hoodie up here during that time I would be a human popsicle.

I don't like being cold either but you learn how to stay warm during outdoor activities. Proper thermal layering is very important plus I always bring emergency stuff like hand warmers and the like just in case I'm having a cruddy cold hating day.

The thing I like the best about having a cold snowy winter is that spring is that much more amazing when it rolls around. I really like the changing seasons.

This company is starting to make my head swim with its apparent disregard for success. What started as one of the most successful tech contracting companies in the northwest, with several very high-priced contracts with MSFT, Expedia, T-Mobile, and others; has now almost completely turned its back on its bread and butter. We have another State-of-the-Company address tonight (all-hands, of course), and the CEO sent out a 2013 strategy primer for us to review before the meeting. In it, there is not one single mention of the still-very-successful contract employees division, or any mention of any of our accomplishments, leaders, expansion, new clients, etc. Instead, the entire thing is about the Business Intel division taking over as the primary means of generating capital, and the new Marketing and Software Design divisions being the benefactors of that capital, as the company moves toward making their own CRM software (like the world needs more shoddy CRM software); for which one of their main focus areas was to "opportunistically invest in outsourcing partnerships in order to keep costs low while providing high quality products for their customers." Apparently, the new CEO (who used to work at Microsoft) has decided that he was so successful at Microsoft that he's qualified to run his own software development company, in direct competition with Microsoft. We're completely fasterisked.

This company is starting to make my head swim with its apparent disregard for success. What started as one of the most successful tech contracting companies in the northwest, with several very high-priced contracts with MSFT, Expedia, T-Mobile, and others; has now almost completely turned its back on its bread and butter. We have another State-of-the-Company address tonight (all-hands, of course), and the CEO sent out a 2013 strategy primer for us to review before the meeting. In it, there is not one single mention of the still-very-successful contract employees division, or any mention of any of our accomplishments, leaders, expansion, new clients, etc. Instead, the entire thing is about the Business Intel division taking over as the primary means of generating capital, and the new Marketing and Software Design divisions being the benefactors of that capital, as the company moves toward making their own CRM software (like the world needs more shoddy CRM software); for which one of their main focus areas was to "opportunistically invest in outsourcing partnerships in order to keep costs low while providing high quality products for their customers." Apparently, the new CEO (who used to work at Microsoft) has decided that he was so successful at Microsoft that he's qualified to run his own software development company, in direct competition with Microsoft. We're completely fasterisked.

That sounds kind of similar to a small engineering company I used to work for who completely changed their focus before I left. They wanted a bigger piece of the pie and the president deemed that we were going to bid on central plant facility work in the oil and gas sector (our bread and butter at the time was SAGD pads and pipelines). Needless to say we didn't have the experience or the manpower to do central plant work so we abandonded all of our SAGD work in favour of some wildcard companies who were super risky just so we could do CPF work. I spent an hour and a half in my exit interview ranting about why this was a bad idea and that it was the primary motivator for me to leave.

Guess which company is now near bankruptcy? Yeah. Losing track of your core competency is dangerous... and I swear sometimes management lives so far up in the clouds they have no idea what actually goes on in the real world. Good luck Gared... it sounds like the company is starting a death spiral :(. You take care of yourself no matter what happens.

Oh yes, believe me, I've done the "loyal to a fault, ride the sinking ship into the vortex" thing before. It's not always such a horrible thing, especially if you're young and single, and resilient enough to bounce back. I'm not as young, I'm married, and I'm not as resilient anymore (though the current project I'm on, in conjunction with my new boss, means that I can now honestly put "Business Intelligence Analyst, Microsoft Corporation" on my resume, which helps a lot). My wife and I were already planning on moving in July when our lease is up here, and if we save well enough and can con some money out of her brother, we should be able to move to an area with a low enough cost of living that her paychecks will support us completely while I look for work, and still be a better quality of living than what we have now. This latest development just means that we need to be a lot more serious about getting ready to move than we have been so far.

So yeah at my mother's hospital today...she saw a guy with a purple dick. What makes the story even more ridiculous is that this was the LAST thing he decided to tell the nurses. A story as gross as it is hilarious.

So yeah at my mother's hospital today...she saw a guy with a purple dick. What makes the story even more ridiculous is that this was the LAST thing he decided to tell the nurses. A story as gross as it is hilarious.
Ya gotta watch where you put those things. Otherwise....stuff can happen.

--Patrick

Ya gotta watch where you put those things. Otherwise....stuff can happen.

--Patrick
Now thats what I thought, but apparently he had some weird disease where all his blood was rushing down-stairs. And the fact that he decided to put this at the bottom of his list of things to fix makes me wonder how chill this guy was.

--Patrick

I have very few relatives left from my grandparents' generation. In fact, I have exactly one remaining: my great Aunt Florence.

Today is her 97th birthday.

The taco ranting made me think of how in Canada what we call yams, Americans call sweet potatoes, and what we call sweet potatoes, Americans call Yams. It's super confusing when I Google recipes.