[Webcomic] The Order of the Stick thread

Dave

Staff member
Could you just imagine if they ended the strip with a TPK? Like, if this was it?

People would be SO PISSED!

I still haven't quite figured out how this memory is going to save the group - as we are all supposing it'll do, I guess. Did Durkon do something similar himself, sacrificing himself for the party, off-page? Is some sort of wrong-made-right in the works? It seems doubtful that even this sort of memory could fase/touch Durkula.

I still haven't quite figured out how this memory is going to save the group - as we are all supposing it'll do, I guess. Did Durkon do something similar himself, sacrificing himself for the party, off-page? Is some sort of wrong-made-right in the works? It seems doubtful that even this sort of memory could fase/touch Durkula.
I think it's more a "Evil begins to comprehend Good" moment, where the vampire servant of Hel is basically coming to terms with what an indisputable act of kindness is. Durkon's mom sacrificed personal wealth, glory, and even her own health and mobility to give dwarves who would otherwise be forsaken a chance to work their way out of Hel's clutches. It can't really be played any other way; she had NOTHING to gain by this act and she asked for nothing in return. Furthermore, she's able to refute Durkon's own selfishness by making it clear that those choices wouldn't have done anyone any good anyway. He can't play it off and still pretend to have moral superiority.

This is what alignment change looks like.

I think it's more a "Evil begins to comprehend Good" moment, where the vampire servant of Hel is basically coming to terms with what an indisputable act of kindness is. Durkon's mom sacrificed personal wealth, glory, and even her own health and mobility to give dwarves who would otherwise be forsaken a chance to work their way out of Hel's clutches. It can't really be played any other way; she had NOTHING to gain by this act and she asked for nothing in return. Furthermore, she's able to refute Durkon's own selfishness by making it clear that those choices wouldn't have done anyone any good anyway. He can't play it off and still pretend to have moral superiority.

This is what alignment change looks like.
There’s also the real possibility that her motive was purely an economic one, with potential movement of 5 game pieces from Hel’s side over to Odin’s being worth more than the gp expenditure in her mind.

—Patrick

"I'm glad he didn't space out like this during the fight."
Hah! Lampshaded.

Durkon. Playing the long game by playing the loooong game.
Also I don't remember what the stone does, can anyone find the ref?

--Patrick

Oh shit. Just when Durkon defeats the vampire, Belkar is going to kill him.
Wouldn't it make more sense that Durkon is forced to kill Belkar? He's due to die soon anyway, and Durkon would be a proper answer to the "who will kill Belkar?" Oracle question thing.

Being a fan of the movie Dark City, the question there is "Are we more than the sum of our memories?" Rich Burlew obviously says "No" to that question. My opinion (and that movie... maybe) differs.

(enough posts down to not spoiler anymore)

"I'm glad he didn't space out like this during the fight."
Hah! Lampshaded.

Durkon. Playing the long game by playing the loooong game.
Also I don't remember what the stone does, can anyone find the ref?

--Patrick
His cloak clasp is a Protection from Evil spell when rubbed that specifically breaks domination, but also constantly hurts him. He got it in Tinkertown specifically for this purpose.

Dave

Staff member
Oh yeah! So
the cat accidentally rubbed it and woke him up!

God damn you people remember things I'd forgotten a LONG time ago. **slow clap**!

Being a fan of the movie Dark City, the question there is "Are we more than the sum of our memories?" Rich Burlew obviously says "No" to that question. My opinion (and that movie... maybe) differs.

(enough posts down to not spoiler anymore)
I prefer The Big O's (heavily inspired by Dark City) answer: We are if want to be, but sometimes the memories we have are the best parts of us.

I prefer The Big O's (heavily inspired by Dark City) answer: We are if want to be, but sometimes the memories we have are the best parts of us.
Not familiar with The Big O. Googling (safe search on, otherwise probably NSFW) revealed it to be an anime series, which the wiki page says is about memory loss in a city. The right one? If so, I can see why it's applicable.

Not familiar with The Big O. Googling (safe search on, otherwise probably NSFW) revealed it to be an anime series, which the wiki page says is about memory loss in a city. The right one? If so, I can see why it's applicable.
Yeah, that's the one. It's basically what if Batman: The Animated Series' overseas art team decided to make Dark City, but also have Giant robots in it.

Big O was a good anime. I watched the whole thing on Adult Swim when that program was mostly anime.

And Belkar is still a sexy, shoeless god of war.

His cloak clasp is a Protection from Evil spell when rubbed that specifically breaks domination, but also constantly hurts him. He got it in Tinkertown specifically for this purpose.
I remember him calling it out in whatever comic it was, but I couldn't remember what it was and didn't have time to search before work.

--Patrick