[Other] The not so funny pic thread (some NSFL or gore)

No idea if this was a real quote or not. The idea of Bill Nye dropping F-bombs is as weird to me as if were coming from the spirit of Mr. Rogers.

No idea if this was a real quote or not. The idea of Bill Nye dropping F-bombs is as weird to me as if were coming from the spirit of Mr. Rogers.
Bill Nye has been an advocate of science literacy and outspoken against teaching creationism, but he always comes across as civil even if you can tell he's trying to keep himself from losing his cool.

Some of you may have remarked that I posted in another thread that I'd be gone for 2 weeks on a road trip through Europe (France-Germany-Croatia-Italy-France-Belgium).

Friday was our first day on the road, and here's a picture of our car, friday night, after a 135 kph (90 mph) tire explosion :
DSCF5128.JPG

(edit: spoilered for size)

Holy crap. Everyone okay?
Both my girlfriend and I are perfectly OK as far as we can tell. Just one bruise on her arm. Went to the ER of course, bunch of echo's and X-rays but everything seems to be a-ok with us, physically.

Currently in Croatia, btw... My girlfriend insisted we take the extra insurance for the car covering accidents abroad and replacement cars abroad. I thought it was a waste of money. Guess that showed me. We can continue the whole trip, have to switch cars a few times but otherwise it's all good.
Too bad it was her car and she hadn't even finished the payments on it...And we're not getting any money from the insurance since there's no fault anywhere. Random tire that blew, act of God...

Some of you may have remarked that I posted in another thread that I'd be gone for 2 weeks on a road trip through Europe (France-Germany-Croatia-Italy-France-Belgium).

Friday was our first day on the road, and here's a picture of our car, friday night, after a 135 kph (90 mph) tire explosion :

I'm glad you guys are OK, that car looks really tough for such a tiny thing.

Yikes. I had that happen to one of my tires, tread separated from the tire, going 75mph. Luckily the tire didn't blow and I didn't roll like you did, but it scared the living crap out of me. It sounded like someone was hiding in my backseat and fired a shotgun.

Glad everyone is OK.

GasBandit

Staff member
Jeez, look at the tires on that car. They look like american microspare donuts. And at 90 mph? Damn. You're a braver man than I to go so fast on such tiny tires and in such a tiny car.

Jeez, look at the tires on that car. They look like american microspare donuts. And at 90 mph? Damn. You're a braver man than I to go so fast on such tiny tires and in such a tiny car.
The tires look like normal car tires, it's just that the wheels have the same look as the donut spares. Not everyone needs flashy rims.

GasBandit

Staff member
The tires look like normal car tires, it's just that the wheels have the same look as the donut spares. Not everyone needs flashy rims.
The walls of the radials seem lower profile than normal to me, and the radius seems small. Really the whole thing looks like a roller skate.

those tiny tires are what come standard on most cars that size, note you are better off with bigger tires. my saturn sl2 came with 175-70-14 tires, I am now rocking 205-85-15 tires. because fuck that shit seriously!

The walls of the radials seem lower profile than normal to me, and the radius seems small. Really the whole thing looks like a roller skate.
It looks about normal for cars now, seems like that's the way they all are. Big white walls aren't in style anymore. They are probably just 14" tires, since it is a small car that's normal. The width is what gives it away though. Spares are a lot narrower.

Wait, 14" tires are normal these days? Shit... someone better tell 90% of my neighbors that running mid-2000's Crown Victorias and Chevy Luminas on 22" wheels isn't normal.

GasBandit

Staff member
It looks about normal for cars now, seems like that's the way they all are. Big white walls aren't in style anymore. They are probably just 14" tires, since it is a small car that's normal. The width is what gives it away though. Spares are a lot narrower.
14 inch tires are normal? Pssssfff....

Yeah they're wide as normal, but...

Why am I suddenly reminded of a very angry Randy Marsh...

southpark110518wide.jpg

They were 15", for the record...My car has 14"ers on them, though it's a smaller car. This one was actually a combi so sort of a cross-over between small town car and station wagon thingamabob.
Been declared a total loss in the meantime, not all that surprising but still.

Thanks for the sympathy all :)