The Man of Steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why all the fucking Zod? I know Luthor's been done to death in the movies (though never in the awesome Clancy Brown way) but Superman has tons of actual interesting villains. Do we need to retread past movies so closely in reboots? At least Spider-Man's reboot is giving us a villain we've never seen on film.
*shrug* Those are probably the two biggest villains in Superman mythos. Certainly the two that the mainstream film audience is most familiar with. Mind you, I'm not arguing.

Personally, I'd love to see Braniac, Bizarro or Metallo.

Bizarro could be like a full-length version of the only good part of Superman III (where he fights himself). Treat it like a horror movie or something. Although, Bizarro being a clone, you'd probably have to have some kind of motivating force that clones him. Which likely means Luthor. At least then, he'd be more a secondary character.

Braniac? Alien invasion movie, done with a superhero twist. Nuff said.

Metallo, I'm not sure if you could get a full movie out of him. I've always felt he would make a great bodyguard for Luthor (I know, I keep bringing him up. Luthor just fits perfectly with the Superman mythos. There's a reason he keeps popping up in different mediums).

Oh HELL yes. You could have all kinds of insane, Kirby-inspired sciencey stuff. Heck, you could do a cloning trilogy there. Start with Cadmus and Bizarro. Maybe end it with Doomsday? Or the second one could be Doomsday, kill 'em in the end and have his return in the third.

For some reason I really want to see Doomsday in a Superman movie, which is weird because he's really not that interesting.

For some reason I really want to see Doomsday in a Superman movie, which is weird because he's really not that interesting.
I've read (I think) two unused movies scripts from the mid-90's that featured Doomsday. And yeah, he literally shows up for one big fight scene and then is gone. Which has the ability to be epic, if handled well.

As an aside, those scripts also featured really fucking random Batman cameos. In an earlier draft, Batman literally swings down from a roof, joins the funeral procession as pall bearer, leaves his glove on Superman's coffin inside his tomb, and leaves. All without saying a word or any explanation whatsoever. In Kevin Smith's draft, he hijacks the video screens at the funeral to give a brief eulogy. Still pretty random.

I've read (I think) two unused movies scripts from the mid-90's that featured Doomsday. And yeah, he literally shows up for one big fight scene and then is gone. Which has the ability to be epic, if handled well.

As an aside, those scripts also featured really fucking random Batman cameos. In an earlier draft, Batman literally swings down from a roof, joins the funeral procession as pall bearer, leaves his glove on Superman's coffin inside his tomb, and leaves. All without saying a word or any explanation whatsoever. In Kevin Smith's draft, he hijacks the video screens at the funeral to give a brief eulogy. Still pretty random.
You really can't pull that shit in a live-action film where the series haven't crossed over before. It would've made more sense to happen in the DCAU (though they stated the Superman: Doosmday movie existed separate from the DCAU and no heroes except Superman existed) where they've already had crossovers.

Well yea, what's the point of being a lurker without following all the awesome (*ahem*) people that do post? ;)

I now have zero hope for this movie, especially after:

Listening to Johnathan Kent figure that letting a bus load of elementary school children die was an option to people discovering that Clark isn't from around here.

At least this movie will hopefully more than just the director masturbating to Superman 1.

I now have zero hope for this movie, especially after:

Listening to Johnathan Kent figure that letting a bus load of elementary school children die was an option to people discovering that Clark isn't from around here.

At least this movie will hopefully more than just the director masturbating to Superman 1.
Yeah, that's an exact 180 from the classic character. But in todays world, you can't be a super hero without daddy issues.

I can't wait for the day when Warner Brothers stops being ashamed of their super-hero properties. Then maybe we can get a good Superman movie.

Huh. That actually looked far better than I expected. I'll be there to see if this soars or crashes.

Well, I'm a huge Superman fan and the trailer left me...still feeling apprehensive. When the first trailer for Superman Returns was released, I was giddy like a four-year old. John Williams' score likely helped a lot.

This, however, I have to say, has left me feeling a little more confident about the movie. It'll certainly LOOK amazing because, say what you will about Synder, but he has a great cinematic eye. Regardless of what I've said about Watchmen, it looked astounding. This does, too. Just hoping they don't do all action and remember that Superman can be a great character, too. The best Superman stories are where he's morally torn, like the bus in the trailer.

Which, honestly, I don't see Pa necessarily saying, "Yes! Leave the kids to die!" I think it was more like he was saying, "I don't know? Maybe?" because I mean, seriously, when has any father ever been in that kind of situation before? Where his kid gains the powers of a god and uses it to save dozens of kids, threatening not only revealing himself to the world, but his family, who would be just as heavily scrutinized.

Clark Kent is Superman because of his parents who taught him right from wrong, and to always do the right thing. Those people when presented with "Should I have let them die" answer with "No of course not" not "Maybe, let me think about that."

Also it looks like the incredibly annoying and inaccurate Jesus comparison is present. Really wish WB and DC would just drop it already.

Clark Kent is Superman because of his parents who taught him right from wrong, and to always do the right thing. Those people when presented with "Should I have let them die" answer with "No of course not" not "Maybe, let me think about that."
Like I said above, that's not how I heard it. I heard it in a "Maybe?" kind of way because of how 1) completely out of his element he is at this and 2) because of the horrors it might bring Clark and the rest of the family.

Plus, that's only a snippet of the conversation. Who's to say Pa doesn't continue on with that with a "No, of course not" very soon after? I imagine whoever cut this trailer (which wasn't Snyder because it's rarely the director) used that for the shock value of it.

Like I said above, that's not how I heard it. I heard it in a "Maybe?" kind of way because of how 1) completely out of his element he is at this and 2) because of the horrors it might bring Clark and the rest of the family.

Plus, that's only a snippet of the conversation. Who's to say Pa doesn't continue on with that with a "No, of course not" very soon after? I imagine whoever cut this trailer (which wasn't Snyder because it's rarely the director) used that for the shock value of it.
I figured we'd have different opinions on this trailer. :)

Which is a pretty stupid thing to do for something designed to get people excited to see something. I know what you're saying about part of the conversation but considering that was what they wanted to show (which based on what presented is yet another awful Jesus metaphor) I will still criticize. They could have just as well cut a different part of the conversation, but they didn't.

Visually I'm glad to see something other than bad real estate schemes for Superman to deal with, but am not looking forward to what is going to be navy blue and dark maroon battling Grey alien ships. There's 1.5 billion reasons why Primary colors will not frighten away audiences. Suit still looks like ass, it's been said before, and there's nothing that's going to change the fact that it looks like ass.[DOUBLEPOST=1355254022][/DOUBLEPOST]How strange is it that one of the best decades for Superman was the 90s?

I'm inclined to think that I'm going to hate this movie, but I'll give it a shot.

But what's my most prominent question is this.

WTF is up with the overtexturing on every single super hero who's not Batman? Why do they make them look like their wearing basketballs?

Nothing strange about the 40s. Now the 90s despite the reputation of what was popular is comics, had Superman titles rising to new heights (with a few lows sure but you can't say they weren't huge) and two successful TV shows. All this while Superman was still going around being Superman, while good chunks of DC and pretty much all of Marvel were doing their damnedest to 90's it up to the EXTREME![DOUBLEPOST=1355255112][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm inclined to think that I'm going to hate this movie, but I'll give it a shot.

But what's my most prominent question is this.

WTF is up with the overtexturing on every single super hero who's not Batman? Why do they make them look like their wearing basketballs?
Batman's Costume's over detailed if not over textured. Just give it time and hopefully Warner Brothers will realize what Marvel Studios did, and no longer be ashamed to have characters in brightly colored tights.

Status
Not open for further replies.