Export thread

The Lone Ranger

evilmike

evilmike

The Lone Ranger Official Trailer #2

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

OK, at least the Lone Ranger is going to be dangerous in this version... but it looks like he'll be a killer though. Of course 50's morality is a little bit long gone.

Bowielee

Bowielee

It would be nice to see Johnny Depp work with more than 2 directors :p

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

It would be nice to see Johnny Depp work with more than Helena Bonham Carter :p

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, the lone ranger's partner is Jack Sparrow disguised as an Indian?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I still love that Depp did not notice that the crow was behind the subject, not on his head.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Eh, I'm getting some Wild Wild West vibes from this. Definitely not a good sign.

Also, if the movie is called The Lone Ranger, why does Tonto's actor get top billing?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

... why does Tonto's actor get top billing?
Because have you heard of Armie Hammer?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Of course I have. I use Arnie Hammer to clean everything.

Wait...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Jerry: Hey Johnny, casting said your audition was great so your on for Tonto.

Johnny: Good, now about my terms...

Jerry: Hey buddy if you want some more zeros to your check thats fine with-

Johnny: No not that, how much face-paint or make-up will I be wearing?

Jerry: ....what?

Johnny: Because I won't do it unless I'm at least wearing eye-liner that would look gay on anyone else but me.

Jerry: Does it really matter?

Johnny: YOU BET YOUR ASS IT MATTERS! You think I'd star in a piece of shit like "Alice and Wonderland" or "At World's End" if it wasn't for the crazy make-up they let me wear? MY FACE MUST LOOK WEIRD!

Jerry: All-right christ, you can have as much make-up as you want!

Johnny: Good and make sure they dunk my face with white paint, I gotta reputation to make.

Jerry: Man, the shit me and Tim deal with.

Covar

Covar

Don't know about this movie, but I like the production team. I also can't help but think that they would do a phenomenal job making a movie about the Lone Ranger's great-nephew.

Britt Reid. The Green Hornet

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Does that count as a spoiler? That's been public knowledge for years.

Also does "That's" count as a contraction for "That has", or is it one of those things only said in conversation? I'm only asking on a forum topic about the Lone Ranger because its 11:55, I'm caught up on my home-work, I'm drunk, and I FEEL GOOD!

Just Me

Just Me

Does that count as a spoiler? That's been public knowledge for years.

Also does "That's" count as a contraction for "That has", or is it one of those things only said in conversation? I'm only asking on a forum topic about the Lone Ranger because its 11:55, I'm caught up on my home-work, I'm drunk, and I FEEL GOOD!
I didn't know that stuff but then I'm not into comics or superhero stuff *hangs his geek card in shame*

And I totally don't have a problem with spoilers, so I'm just here to wish you the best with your homework and a good time!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I still love that Depp did not notice that the crow was behind the subject, not on his head.
Did Depp design his costume?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Did Depp design his costume?
He picked that painting to base the costume on, I don't know if he actually sews or not...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He picked that painting to base the costume on, I don't know if he actually sews or not...
Well, then that was dumb.

phil

phil

He's an actor, not a tailor.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Damnit Jim, he's an actor, not a tailor.
FTFY

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Maybe he's payed in face-paint, I could totally buy that.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Wait a minute. You're telling me that Helena Bonham Carter is playing a woman with a pale face and wild hair? What a stretch.

Seriously, though, it doesn't look extremely terrible, but I'm just not interested.

evilmike

evilmike

The Superbowl commercial

strawman

strawman

I love that they're embracing the campiness of the original series, rather than trying to reinvent it as a serious work.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Of course I have. I use Arnie Hammer to clean everything.

Wait...
He is related to that Armie Hammer too.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Obligatory reminder that this is racist

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Does it count as racist if I'm part Native American and don't really care?

Dave

Dave

They couldn't find a real Native American actor? He says he's like 1/64 Indian, but that's a real damned stretch.

Shakey

Shakey

Does it count as racist if I'm part Native American and don't really care?
No. Tonto has always been a pretty racist depiction of Native Americans. We'll see what Depp and the writers do with it, but it's a tough role to turn around.[DOUBLEPOST=1372393296][/DOUBLEPOST]
They couldn't find a real Native American actor? He says he's like 1/64 Indian, but that's a real damned stretch.
That's what bugs me about him doing this. It looks like he's trying to be funny and do an over the top interpretation of it, but I don't think it will have the right effect.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ah, our good friend whitewashing in Hollywood.

As for the bird on the head thing, it was very common for shaman in Native American culture to wear talismans of transformation. It was commonly believed that by dressing as certain animals, one could channel their power.

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

Depp puts asses in the seats. There are at least ten women in my office who are going to see this movie strictly for that reason. I can see why they chose to go with him.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I hope Bjork wears her swan dress to the premiere.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I probably wouldn't bother with this movie if Depp wasn't in it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I always have a hard time with positive portrayals being racist.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Charlie has spoken. Therefore it is racist. :rolleyes:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't know if I'd really call it positive, it's just Johnny Depp playing Johnny Depp with a bird on his head.

Shakey

Shakey

"Native americans are dumb, therefore Tonto is dumb" is racist.
I wonder what Tonto means in Spanish.

I don't know that it was ever intentional, but I thought the fact that you mentioned that was kinda funny. I will admit it's more of a stereotype, and one many people do find negative. I'm sure it's something the writers were aware of, and Depp has said he's tried to turn around in his portrayal of him, so I doubt it will be an issue.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well, the portrayal of Asians being good at math is racist, even if it is positive...

yecch...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Well, the portrayal of Asians being good at math is racist, even if it is positive...

yecch...
But this is America, being good at math is not considered a good thing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

But this is America, being good at math is not considered a good thing.
Ok, how about the stereotype about black men having large penises?

fade

fade

I wonder what Tonto means in Spanish.

I don't know that it was ever intentional, but I thought the fact that you mentioned that was kinda funny. I will admit it's more of a stereotype, and one many people do find negative. I'm sure it's something the writers were aware of, and Depp has said he's tried to turn around in his portrayal of him, so I doubt it will be an issue.

Yeah I deleted my post because I didn't feel like arguing this afternoon. I figured it'd blow up.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, maybe they could have gotten an actual native to play the character then. I'm more Indian than Johnny Depp is (and I'm a dirty blonde norse looking mother fucker).

PatrThom

PatrThom

I was always under the impression that it was deliberate, that Tonto's image was crafted such that the Bad Guys would automatically underestimate him.
I'm more Indian than Johnny Depp is.
His comic timing is better.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Tonto was supposed to be Pottawatomie and Tonto in their language meant wild one. Also, what is a Michigan Indian doing in West Texas?

fade

fade

Isn't it amazing how the English countryside in no way looks like southern California?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Listen, everyone. I just saw The Lone Ranger.
DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.
It is bloated, cliched, astoundingly stupid and, most of all, utterly disrespectful to the source material. It almost feels like they want to apologize so much to Native Americans that they made their hero utterly unlikable
and indirectly responsible for the death of a Comanche tribe

I repeat, DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.

Gared

Gared

Listen, everyone. I just saw The Lone Ranger.
DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.
It is bloated, cliched, astoundingly stupid and, most of all, utterly disrespectful to the source material. It almost feels like they want to apologize so much to Native Americans that they made their hero utterly unlikable
I repeat, DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.
Yeah... I'd heard earlier today that it was a horrible movie. In fact, I'd heard that by the time the famous theme song finally shows up, the movie has sucked so badly that even it can't get you excited about the upcoming scene.

strawman

strawman

utterly disrespectful to the source material
Well then, guess I'm crossing this one off the list.

Covar

Covar

utterly disrespectful to the source material.
I had a hunch about that when the trailers had him a) out of a mask after he becomes the Lone Ranger and b) using contractions.

strawman

strawman

Don't get me wrong, the original show was terrible, but its was western fun for kids who liked playing cowboys and indians so it didn't have a high bar to reach for success.

They obviously tried to reinvent it, but it really sounds like they took a wrong turn somewhere. It needed to be reinvented, but probably not into this.

Frank

Frank

The funny thing about the original show? It had an actual native playing Tonto, something almost unheard of in most westerns. Jay Silverheels was a Mohawk from Ontario.

Frank

Frank

So, how was Lone Ranger everyone? What, none of you saw it? Well, according to the weekend box office, very few of you did.

It did worse than John Carter did it's opening weekend. That's a trrrrrible sign.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, how was Lone Ranger everyone? What, none of you saw it? Well, according to the weekend box office, very few of you did.

It did worse than John Carter did it's opening weekend. That's a trrrrrible sign.
Why didn't they just call it Tonto?

Dave

Dave

My sister saw it and said it was bad and SHOULD hade been just called Tonto.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

At least this does not sound as bad as the last Lone Ranger movie.

klew

klew

Why didn't they just call it Tonto?
Same reason they called it Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I never had an inclination to see it in the first place. I love Johnny Depp, but I don't BLINDLY love his work. This whole thing was destined to be a trainwreck from the start.

PatrThom

PatrThom

At least this does not sound as bad as the last Lone Ranger movie.
The last of these movies I watched was The Legend of the Lone Ranger. (trailer) Even as a teen, I thought it was dumb.
When a male teenager thinks a movie about cowboys and indians with guns and explosions is dumb, that's how you know it's dumb.

--Patrick