[Comics] The "Let's Bitch about Comics thread!"

Something I noticed, going back to what's for kids and what isn't:

On the Marvel site, each comic issue has a rating. T, T+, etc. DC comics on the DC site don't have any rating.

Something I noticed, going back to what's for kids and what isn't:

On the Marvel site, each comic issue has a rating. T, T+, etc. DC comics on the DC site don't have any rating.
DC comics use the same rating system. It's on the books in the same place on the barcodes.

Yeah, we always make sure to point them out and explain them to parents. There's no industry standard or third party board, but most publishers that rate their books use a very similar systems. I think Action Lab does the best job, they make sure it's on the front cover and color coded. They based it off Marvel and DC so they wouldn't be adding more confusion to parents.

image.jpeg

Yeah, we always make sure to point them out and explain them to parents. There's no industry standard or third party board, but most publishers that rate their books use a very similar systems. I think Action Lab does the best job, they make sure it's on the front cover and color coded. They based it off Marvel and DC so they wouldn't be adding more confusion to parents.

View attachment 21180
Amazon should probably pay attention this. Stuff marked as T on the books is listed as being for audiences several years younger on their site for the trades.

So recently, I've been contacting DC Comics through they're Contact Us section on their website. I specifically address the e-mails as "c/o Collected Editions," because I want to suggest tweaks or suggestions to solicited collections.

For example, Nightwing Vol. 5, continuing Chuck Dixon's amazing run on the book, includes issues that are smack dab in the middle of the Hunt for Oracle storyline. It crosses over with two issues of Birds of Prey. I feel it absolutely should be included because Nightwing plays a major role in that story and it affects him and his book.

I also actually sent them a long snail-mail letter, largely thanking them because they really do put out quality work in their collections. But it was mainly to point out that the solicitations for the new editions of the Death and Return of Superman books (4 books this time) doesn't list the issue of Justice League where Doomsday completely decimates the League. That was a huge part of that story and to exclude it is crazy. I was very polite in my letter to them, but I'm honestly surprised it was overlooked.

I look at it from a new reader's point of view. You go from Volume 4 to 5, expecting a full story. But if, say, a talking gorilla sudden shows up in Nightwing, talking with the head mob boss, you'd like to see where the hell he came from. Especially since it was an issue that Dixon wrote, as well, introducing the character.

BananaHands

Staff member
Read the CW2 leak.
She-Hulk dies. From a little missle that hit her in the boob. She flatlines in the hospital telling Carol to "be strong".

I just want Bendis to leave. Slott too.

Read the CW2 leak.
She-Hulk dies. From a little missle that hit her in the boob. She flatlines in the hospital telling Carol to "be strong".

I just want Bendis to leave. Slott too.
Bendis? You don't like Bendis? Bendis the writer? His style. It's his style? You don't like it?

Last edited:

BananaHands

Staff member
Bendis? You don't like Bendis? Bendis the writer? His style. It's his style? You don't like it?
It's such a shame that Ultimate Spider-Man was so good, even with Bendis putting himself in the comic as Kong.[DOUBLEPOST=1464750350,1464750294][/DOUBLEPOST]
Okay, now that it's out commence bitching about the boob death missile.
Oh, it's coming. I'm so mad about it. The whole FCB Day issue fight was so painful as it was, with Thanos showing up with Guns and getting smacked around by C-Listers.

Okay, now that it's out commence bitching about the boob death missile.
Don't mind if I do.

Makes zero sense. The shit she's been able to withstand in the past, stuff that doesn't even faze her much ... and yet one of Warmachine's missiles puts her down. Maybe there's some other explanation to come, something else going on with her, but the weakness of how she's killed just underscores how the point is to kill her, no matter what. Give Carol Danvers more reason to push her side, presumably break Amadeus Cho, probably make the Hellcat comic no fun anymore. I'm pretty sure this month's A-Force still has She-Hulk running around with her team, while somehow Hellcat's issue has She-Hulk and Hellcat going to Coney Island (though that might have been the May issue). If only they could ignore this entirely.

As it is, She-Hulk doesn't die for some greater purpose, to a great threat, or even getting to complete some story arc of her own or where she's a prominent figure. She dies by accident, to a Rhodey missile, for a bigger event that's just using her as an excuse. Bleh.

Supposedly one of the Marvel heroes is going to be a big problem later in Civil War II. My two guesses are Cho Hulk, angered over the death of his mentor, or Vision, because it's been foreseen by Ulysses, so in trying to take him down we get a self-fulfilling prophecy, and maybe Carol Danvers will learn the dangers of this kind of shit.

EDIT: Thought I was done, but nope.

She-Hulk has often been a character of a humor comic. Something to take this nonsense down a peg. She's also a great character, but it seems pointless to take away a character like that.

Singularity is a character from Secret Wars who can mess with reality and such, so as I said in spoilers on an earlier page, I'm hoping she'll be able to bring Jennifer Walters back. She-Hulk does with her words what she could, but chooses not to do with her fists. I appreciate that. I don't appreciate her being killed by, for a Hulk, what is essentially the equivalent of a Nerf dart, for shallow storytelling reasons.

Just read Civil War II #1.

Hot.

Garbage.

The team gets the jump on Thanos, and he blows a hole in Rhodes and apparently beat She Hulk down enough to kill her.

How do you beat a Hulk to death?

Tony decides that Rhodes, a soldier, shouldn't have died in combat. Because reasons. I get he's Tony's BFF but dude, you don't pull what Tony does on Marvel over it (DON'T YOU SAY HIS NAME, IT'S YOUR FAULT ETC ETC).

And of course, Bendis-speak. So much Bendis-speak.

I thought Tony's motivation would involve right or wrong of using Ulysses, but instead it's just self-absorbed shit. It's one thing to pull a Minority Report on would-be crimes; it's another to pre-empt disaster-level problems like inter-dimensional monsters or Thanos. I know the core of the problem comes later when Ulysses predicts one of the good guys will be the next big disaster, but still ... it really feels like Ulysses could be the villain in all this.

But even if the story was interesting (it's not), the writing is crap. I didn't know the term for this before today, but IGN clued me in--teamspeak. You have things that need to be said, and there's a group of characters, so you just toss out lines in fair share regardless of personality, motivation, etc. Banter is interchangeable. Blegh. I just hope this doesn't poison other titles too much.

So we get this for seven months, and sometime near the end of that we get the renewed Marvel Now, with new titles coming, maybe even reboots! Again! Who knows? I'll just drag in a thing from my blog: Interview with Tom Brevoort of Marvel discusses stuff with this. A choice quote:

Having #1s for even the key titles, it's sort of critical to the publishing, and to giving people the feeling that, here's a place they can jump on board and get into a story with one of the characters they're seeing in the cineplex. There's some place they can instantly go when they make the trek to the comic shop, or they open up whichever app they're using to buy digital comics. "Where do I start?" Particularly for an older reader who has never read comics. Just the wall of new releases in a comic shop can be daunting to know where to begin. There's so much, there's so many. People learn the lay of the land and they get it fairly quickly, but to start out, it's very difficult. Way more difficult than starting on a TV show.

And these days, you don't start on TV shows the way you used to. If you hear that, "Hey, this 'Better Call Saul' show is pretty cool," you typically don't just watch the next episode that's on. You go to Netflix and start at the beginning and binge the first season, or you go out and buy the DVDs, or you get a season pass from iTunes and you start at the beginning. You don't start this week. Or even if you do, you happen to catch one episode, and go, "That was pretty interesting, I wonder what that's about," you probably don't just start watching from that point, you go back and you binge all the stuff that's been there.
He has a point, but his analogy falters because shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul then move onto season 2, season 3, etc. They don't just keep doing a new season 1 each year, and that's where Marvel is headed lately with have world-shattering events each year. Beginnings are great for bringing people in, but you then need continuations to keep those people. If the new series I fall in love with this year gets cancelled after just 12 issues, why should I bother getting attached to the next new thing?

Last edited:
He has a point, but his analogy falters because shows like Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul then move onto season 2, season 3, etc. They don't just keep doing a new season 1 each year, and that's where Marvel is headed lately with have world-shattering events each year. Beginnings are great for bringing people in, but you then need continuations to keep those people. If the new series I fall in love with this year gets cancelled after just 12 issues, why should I bother getting attached to the next new thing?
Except marvel doesn't just start telling the story over either. The volumes are very much like the next season of a story.

I've gone from being amused to annoyed and amazed at the number of people who jumped on to Marvel comics because of their rolling restarts to being upset by them, and unable to see their own place in it. No one who started reading with the Heroic Age, Marvel Now, All-new Marvel Now, or All-new, All-different Marvel has been reading long enough to be a crumudgeon about it.

Except marvel doesn't just start telling the story over either. The volumes are very much like the next season of a story.

I've gone from being amused to annoyed and amazed at the number of people who jumped on to Marvel comics because of their rolling restarts to being upset by them, and unable to see their own place in it. No one who started reading with the Heroic Age, Marvel Now, All-new Marvel Now, or All-new, All-different Marvel has been reading long enough to be a crumudgeon about it.
Then why does it need to feel like it's just getting started in the next season? I can't speak for all titles, and I know someone warned me this particular title has been in bad hands for a bit, but going from Marvel Now Captain Marvel to ANAD Captain Marvel, it feels like the start of a new series, starring the same character, rather than a next season for that character. I doubt that's the only title like this.

Part of me wishes I could contribute more to the Civil War 2 conversation...but that would involve READING Civil War 2, so I'll just cut my losses here.

...for EACH issue? Sweet strawberry Jesus that's too expensive! Are there at least fun holographic trading cards?
I don't know if it's each issue, but for the first one. And it's told really haphazardly too. In the middle of the comic, there's a gap where the FCBD comic would go. So big battle, aftermath, skip ahead, aftermath of a different battle that took place in a different comic. :confused: Not sure where Civil War II #0 fits in.

BananaHands

Staff member
This event is handled by Bendis. We're all just going to have to find shelter from the messy, dialogue storm and hope our beloved characters make it out unscathed. I just hope that Night Thrasher makes it through THIS Civil War considering we just got him back.

For anyone who read the first Civil War while it was happening: how much were other titles affected? Were they just an impossible to decipher mess? Did you have to read a bunch of other shit to keep up?

Ms Marvel's writer assured readers that they wouldn't have to read other books to keep up with Ms Marvel, for example. Is that a general truth for most titles or did she have to say something because Ms Marvel in this case would be going against the grain? It probably doesn't affect me much as besides A-Force (still haven't cancelled it ...) I'm mostly reading humor books. Which shouldn't matter, but the I see Hellcat #8 has a Civil War II stamp on top and pictures of Hellcat and She-Hulk hanging out, so that'll probably be a pretty miserable time.

BananaHands

Staff member
For anyone who read the first Civil War while it was happening: how much were other titles affected? Were they just an impossible to decipher mess? Did you have to read a bunch of other shit to keep up?
Aside from the 'Nextwave' series, all the tie-ins were basically characters arguing about the ongoing Civil War and/or reeling about Spider-Man's identity.

Marvel's got a nice racket going.

My wife got the FCBD Preacher comic to promote the AMC show, read through it, and said she wanted to check out the real deal. So I bought her the first volume for her birthday later this month, and figured I'd get something for me too, so I threw in Ms Marvel vol 3. The low-down:

Ms Marvel vol 3, 90 pages or so. Price: $11
Preacher vol 1, OVER 300 PAGES, Price: $12

Wow. I'm still gonna buy Ms Marvel because I love Ms Marvel, but I thought the Lucifer and Sandman books were sizable. This volume's a monster.