[Comics] The "Let's Bitch about Comics thread!"

Did She Hulk lose the ability to change back? I had thought she could, but never wanted to because she wasn't famous/popular/etc as Jennifer.
thebadnews.jpg

It's ok, she got better.
Wouldn't The Magnificent Seven but as a Comedy basically be The Three Amigos? Which is actually a very charming, very funny western?
It might be, but that's not what I said. I said "Take 7 actors famous for physical comedy, give them all flaws, put them in a serious Western, and tell them to play it serious and wrestle with their conscience a lot."
It would suck sooooo baaaad.

--Patrick

She got her powers through a blood transfusion, I think, so she's not a full-on Hulk. She retains total control, but has issues with how weak and powerless she feels as a human. Generally you rarely, if ever, see her as Jennifer as opposed to She Hulk.

Why DOES She-Hulk have only one personality while Hulk classic has...how many is he up to?
Bruce Banner suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder. It's why there's so many different versions of the Hulk, and everyone else who is Gamma irradiated just gets an amplified personality based on their desires.

Did he have that, like, before the gamma blast or was it always there? If the latter, I wanna see an elseworld comic to see what he'd be like with alt-personas without superpowers.

Did he have that, like, before the gamma blast or was it always there? If the latter, I wanna see an elseworld comic to see what he'd be like with alt-personas without superpowers.
It was always there, we first see it when he's a young child, Hulk shows up as a sort of coping mechanism against his dad's abuse. Hulk is all the pain, frustration, and rage finally getting the strength he needs to keep anyone from ever hurting him again, or at least a child's idea of it.

It was always there, we first see it when he's a young child, Hulk shows up as a sort of coping mechanism against his dad's abuse. Hulk is all the pain, frustration, and rage finally getting the strength he needs to keep anyone from ever hurting him again, or at least a child's idea of it.
Part of me feels he would've ended up like "Moon Knight" if he didn't get the Gamma treatment.

Superheroes and dissociative personality disorder, running theme it seems.

Back to bitching!

Looking over trades for stuff I'm interested in, it's clear how dumb Marvel is with the numbering. Ms. Marvel goes back to issue 1 in volume 4 or 5. Continuing the same story despite Secret Wars (thankfully) but the whole reset seems like something you do with bigger-numbered comics, not new stuff. It's pretty bad when stuff like Spider-Gwen or Squirrel Girl have two issues 1's in the same year. From what I've read, Squirrel Girl even makes a 4th wall joke about it.

If they wanted everything to be All New, All Different, they should've just had different titles to start the new run. I'm still confused as to whether the new run of Captain Marvel is in continuity with the previous 18 issues from before Secret Wars. Thankfully with Ms. Marvel, the writers decided that after the reset, Kamala is exactly where she was before the reset, and the only messing around is that one of the trades has to include a couple Spider-man issues that are significant to Kamala's story.

On the downside, as I mentioned earlier, Civil War II is coming. And Kamala's apparently going to not be fun anymore, because vol. 6 of her trade is title Ms. Marvel vol. 6: Civil War II. -_- I'm going to keep going with this one because it's worth it, and hopefully just reading it isn't awful. Guess I should grab A-Force as well since it's by the same writer (yay!) and at least a couple of its characters will be wrapped up in Civil War II (boo!)

On the downside, as I mentioned earlier, Civil War II is coming. And Kamala's apparently going to not be fun anymore, because vol. 6 of her trade is title Ms. Marvel vol. 6: Civil War II. -_- I'm going to keep going with this one because it's worth it, and hopefully just reading it isn't awful. Guess I should grab A-Force as well since it's by the same writer (yay!) and at least a couple of its characters will be wrapped up in Civil War II (boo!)
If it's any consolation, I've found out that the Civil War II stuff for Kamala Khan is just really in two issues. I haven't read them, but at least it doesn't sound like a lengthy connection.

If it's any consolation, I've found out that the Civil War II stuff for Kamala Khan is just really in two issues. I haven't read them, but at least it doesn't sound like a lengthy connection.
Weird then that they'd title the sixth volume with Civil War II. I guess it's also road to Civil War II. The trade isn't due out until December, long after Civil War II will be over, so who knows.

So far they have only solicited 4 issues of Civil War II, I think that it's a 6 issue series. So that means we have one to two more months of CWII that have to be solicited, and whatever tie-ins they may have.

I know this isn't very relevant, hell I know it barely qualifies as bitching but...wouldn't it have made more sense if Falcon was called "Eagle"? I mean, wasn't he ALWAYS intended to be Cap's partner? Just saying, symbolically Eagle would've made more sense.

I went to a comic book store and bought comics--probably been two decades since I did that; any other times it's been for D&D dice--and picked up random issues of a couple things to sort of sample what I might like to get into rather than plunk down much more on a trade blindly.

Comics are much thinner nowadays. Almost all the ads are for the company's own stuff, it seems. I remember when I was a kid there'd be ads for snacks, video games, anti-smoking, all sorts of stuff. I guess that says a lot about the industry now; the ad space is pretty much worthless. I checked out a comic sales chart just out of curiosity. Black Panther's reboot was the best selling comic for April 2016, with nearly 250,000 copies sold. The next comic after couldn't match half that, and most on the list are far, far below. Critically acclaimed stuff like Squirrel Girl can't even cross the 20,000 mark. Of course a big part of that is that people like buying trades instead. I wonder if the big two keep track of that in deciding whether stuff gets renewed.

So the DC Rebirth issue has been leaked.

And...wow. Just fucking WOW. Most of it isn't surprising since it's been leaked or theorized. But one thing? Jesus Christ, the audacity of them.

Not only is Watchmen now part of the DC universe (because THAT was totally necessary), but Dr. Manhattan was the one that created the nu52.

And...wow. Just fucking WOW. Most of it isn't surprising since it's been leaked or theorized. But one thing? Jesus Christ, the audacity of them.

Not only is Watchmen now part of the DC universe (because THAT was totally necessary), but Dr. Manhattan was the one that created the nu52.
....*SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMS!*

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO FUCKING NO! Just-UGH!

I mean of all the idiotic retcons, THIS is one of the fucking worst! Well...probably not THE worst, I've been told how bad Savage Dragon was, but this is STILL pretty bad.

I'm just gonna wait this bull-shit event over, and read reviews of what's good or not in this idiotic Rebirth universe that only exists because DC is run by idiots. I hope good things with that "Super Sons" series, but its fucking DC so who knows?

Last edited:
That is insanely stupid and doesn't really make sense in the context of that particular comic. That comic only works insulated from everything else.

Stop, DC. Just stop.

This was Zack Snyder's idea, wasn't it? That way he can just cut and paste his movies together and claim it's the MCU that he planned them to be one universe the whooooooooole time.

To be fair, Alan Moore hates everything and everyone that has any remote relation to comics. And movies. And probably any living thing in general.

Wow, Hellboy graphic novels aren't worth crap anymore. I bought a bunch of them and BPRD for reasonable prices a couple years back, and now that I'm ready to clear some shelf space I'm seeing that the prices aren't exactly great. Some people selling trades for only 1 cent.

Wow, Hellboy graphic novels aren't worth crap anymore. I bought a bunch of them and BPRD for reasonable prices a couple years back, and now that I'm ready to clear some shelf space I'm seeing that the prices aren't exactly great. Some people selling trades for only 1 cent.
Either because the series ain't as popular as it once was, the continuity of them sucks, or a combination of the two.

Either because the series ain't as popular as it once was, the continuity of them sucks, or a combination of the two.
Hellboy always played like an anthology book, where you would often have events taking part over many years, both backwards and forwards. But I think the bigger issue was that you had to follow... what, three books to get the complete story?

Another development that's been revealed as part of DC Rebirth:

There are now, or have been, three Jokers running around. The Golden Age Joker, the Killing Joke Joker, and the New 52 Joker.

More than one Joker running around ACTUALLY makes sense, even if I think it's dumb. It certainly explains the major tone shifts in his characterization over the years and A LOT of stuff with Harley.

I think it kind of undermines him as a character though. Instead of being one guy you can't predict and who will do anything to ruin your day, it's now three guys of varying means and style? That's dumb.