The Lego appreciation thread

Yet another insanely big Lego set just announced:
75192 Millennium Falcon

7541 pieces.
US $799.99, CA $899.99, DE €799.99, UK £649.99, DKK 6999.00
Available from the 1st of October with VIP early access from the 14th of September.
Welcome to the largest, most detailed LEGO Star Wars Millennium Falcon model we’ve ever created - in fact, with over 7,500 pieces it is the biggest LEGO model ever sold! This amazing LEGO interpretation of Han Solo’s unforgettable Corellian freighter has all the details that Star Wars fans of any age could wish for, including intricate exterior detailing, upper and lower quad laser cannons, landing legs, lowering boarding ramp and a 4-minifigure cockpit with detachable canopy. Remove individual hull plates to reveal the highly detailed main hold, rear compartment and gunnery station. This amazing model also features interchangeable sensor dishes and crew, so you decide whether to play out classic LEGO Star Wars adventures with Han, Leia, Chewbacca and C-3PO, or enter the world of Episode VII and VIII with older Han, Rey, Finn and BB-8!
  • Includes 4 classic crew minifigures: Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia and C-3PO.
  • Also includes 3 Episode VII/VIII crew minifigures: Older Han Solo, Rey and Finn.
  • Figures include a BB-8 droid, 2 buildable Porgs and a buildable Mynock.
  • Exterior features include intricately detailed and removable hull panels, a lowering boarding ramp, concealed blaster cannon, 4-minifigure cockpit with detachable canopy, interchangeable round/rectangular sensor dishes, upper and lower quad laser cannons, and 7 landing legs.
  • Main hold features a seating area, Dejarik holographic game, combat remote training helmet, engineering station with turning minifigure seat and a doorway build with passageway decoration.
  • Rear compartment features the engine room with hyperdrive and console, 2 doorways, hidden floor compartment, 2 escape pod hatches, engineering console and an access ladder to the gunnery station.
  • Gunnery station features a minifigure gunner’s seat and detachable hull panel with fully rotating quad laser cannon. An additional quad laser cannon is also mounted on the underside.
  • Also includes an informational fact plaque.
  • Features a new cockpit canopy element.
  • Classic crew weapons include Han’s blaster pistol and Chewbacca’s stud-firing bowcaster.
  • Episode VII/VIII crew weapons include Han’s blaster, Rey’s small silver blaster and Finn’s medium blaster rifle.
  • Change out the features and crew characters to switch between classic and Episode VII/VIII versions of the Millennium Falcon!
  • Open individual hull panels to access the detailed interior while retaining the overall exterior appearance.
  • Slide the panel to reveal the concealed blaster cannon.
  • Turn classic Leia’s and Han’s head to reveal their breathing mask decoration.
  • Makes the perfect intergalactic toy or flagship display model.
  • Measures over 8” (21cm) high, 33” (84cm) long and 22” (56cm) wide.

(via Brickset)

Introducing LEGO® Ideas 21312 Women of NASA

Build, play and learn from inspiring women of NASA!
We're incredibly excited to finally show off the first official images of the inspiring LEGO Ideas 21312 Women of NASA set designed by LEGO Ideas member Maia Weinstock (a.k.a. 20tauri) from the USA.
The Women of NASA set will officially be landing on store shelves from the 1st of November, 2017 for a recommended retail price of USD/Euro 24.99.
However, if you're in New York City you can already get your hands on the set on the 28th of October, 2017 as Maia will be visiting the Flatiron District LEGO store to meet and greet fans and sign sets. More details below

Here is the official description:

Follow in the footsteps of 4 pioneering women of NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration—America’s space agency) with this fun and inspiring LEGO® set. Build the Hubble Space Telescope and learn astronomy with the ‘Mother of Hubble’ Nancy Grace Roman. Develop the software for space missions with computer scientist Margaret Hamilton. And launch the space shuttle with Sally Ride, the first American woman to fly in space, and Mae Jemison, the world’s first woman of color in space. Build, play, learn and one day you too could become a science, technology, engineering or mathematics superstar!

A personal tribute to pioneers

Science editor and writer Maia Weinstock combined three of her personal passions in designing the Women of NASA set for LEGO® Ideas: space exploration, the history of women in science and engineering, and LEGO building.
“I thought people might like to build their own display featuring minifigures of accomplished women in the STEM [Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics] professions. For the vignettes, I wanted to contextualize each person in terms of her contribution to NASA history.”
“I was absolutely elated when the project reached 10,000 supporters! The set clearly touched and inspired many, as it reached 10,000 supporters in just 15 days. The night on which it appeared we’d reach 10K, I stayed up until 4:30 or 5 in the morning so that I could watch the 10,000th vote come in. I didn’t get much sleep that day, but it was thrilling!”
LEGO® Designers Gemma Anderson and Marie Sertillanges were thrilled to help refine Maia’s model into an official LEGO set.
“I was extremely excited about working on this one, especially as I had already heard of it and really wanted it to become a set,” says Gemma. “My focus was on ensuring that the model had stability, the colors were aligned and the subjects were accurately portrayed, all while staying respectful to the design of the original model.”
For Marie, “The main challenge in designing the minifigures and the decorations was that I could not make anything up. Every detail was important and needed to match reality, since they represent real-life women. It was beautiful to hear some of the stories behind the scenes, like how Sally’s name tag was changed from ‘Sally Ride’ to just ‘Sally’ at her own request.”

Pre-release box signing event

To celebrate the upcoming release of the Women of NASA set we're happy to have Maia Weinstock join us at the Flatiron District LEGO Store in New York City to meet and greet fans, while signing the Women of NASA LEGO set at this exclusive pre-release event.
Date: 28th October, 2017 from 10am - 2pm
Location: LEGO Store, 200 5th Avenue, Flatiron District, New York City.

-----------------------------------------------------
From Ars Technica, Margaret Hamilton holds a LEGO figure of ... herself.

Last edited:
Very much enjoying Lego Marvel Superheroes 2, and so is Li'l Z. I just unlocked this super lady, and I didn't even know she was a playable character!

Peggy!!!

Hey, Lego, can I get this as a real minifig? Pretty please?

Possibly, but that might end up being more expensive than buying the minifig in the long run.
We'll just have to go with the most obvious backup plan.

Convince Marvel to do a 'What if' movie featuring the character so we can then get a Lego set based on it. :)

We'll just have to go with the most obvious backup plan.

Convince Marvel to do a 'What if' movie featuring the character so we can then get a Lego set based on it. :)
You know, they already do something like this with Lego Batman minifigs. I think they're already on wave 3 or 4? They have the rights to Marvel. They'd make a killing if they did a similar series.

ZQrA6nO.jpg

This is supposedly a shot of "The Lego room" just before the person involved had to pack up and move.

I'm guessing his name is Zack.

--Patrick

B

BErt

My brother is way into lego; he said something about a “brickfolio” worth $30K? Does that mean anything?

Anyway, i never wanted to really get into it because i have enough expensive hobbies already. But im staying with him currently and i got to put together the Ferrari F40 set last night. And maaaaan, that was a fun build. I just may have to get a few more.
182FD68F-3F56-4276-A445-35111BA64D7A.jpeg

My brother is way into lego; he said something about a “brickfolio” worth $30K? Does that mean anything?

Anyway, i never wanted to really get into it because i have enough expensive hobbies already. But im staying with him currently and i got to put together the Ferrari F40 set last night. And maaaaan, that was a fun build. I just may have to get a few more.
View attachment 26686
Li'l Z has been obsessed with the Speed Champions series, which is the tiny versions of these. He keeps eyeballing the bigger kits like this one, the VW Bug, the Mini Coop and I think there's a Mustang? I just look at the price tags and tell him as soon as he has his own income, he can get them.

figmentPez

Staff member
LEGO Chimera

Source
The chimera I designed for our new LEGO show. I cannot express how much of a labor of love this was. It took over 100 hours just to design, let alone build and is one of the largest and most complex sculptures I’ve done.

Fun fact: This model used every single LEGO color available in standard brick.