1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

The Last Starfighter

Discussion in 'Movies, Movies, Movies' started by Cheesy1, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Cheesy1

Cheesy1 Nice Guy a la mode

Books:
    [​IMG]
    Title: The Last Starfighter

Tagline: He didn't find his dreams... his dreams found him.

Genre: Adventure, Science Fiction, Action

Director: Nick Castle

Cast: Lance Guest, Dan O'Herlihy, Catherine Mary Stewart, Barbara Bosson, Norman Snow, Robert Preston, Kay E. Kuter, Dan Mason, Chris Hebert, John O'Leary, George McDaniel, Charlene Nelson, John Maio, Robert Starr, Al Berry, Suzanne Snyder

Release Date:

Runtime: 101

Plot: A video-gaming boy, seemingly doomed to stay at his trailer park home all his life, finds himself recruited as a gunner for an alien defense force.

2. phil

phil I'm done with the internet for today.

Books:
    Uh huh.
    edit

Oh man, this is like, it's own sub forum. I just saw this in new posts and thought it was a thing you were doing. This makes more sense now.

also I really liked this movie back in the day.

3. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    Another movie I've actually seen.

--Patrick

4. Just Me

Just Me Contributor

Books:
    I actually saw it on the big screen back when, and loved it. Even then I loved the heck out of Robert Preston's performance, as well as O'Herlihy as Grig. Combined with the plot and the special effects, young me (14 years old) was blown apart.

Rewatched it as soon as it was available on DVD, I still love it.
    The effects have aged, a lot.
    But Preston, O'Herlihy, the Gunstar and its Death Blossom still captured my heart and took me in.And of course: Beta!
    Nostalgia is a bad drug and can blur one's vision, but I'd sign up without thinking to watch that version on the big screen again (though please not much bigger as they were back then in '84 ;) ).

• Like Like x 1
  5. stienman

stienman GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF ENERGY

Media:
    Books:
    That's what I worry about in regards to this film. I really enjoyed it, but I was the target audience - a male teenager. Good to know it's got legs.

6. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    To be fair, that's exactly the sort of thing that attracts the male teenage audience.

--Patrick

• Pun Pun x 1
  7. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    That guy getting his brain lasered stayed in my dreams for years.

8. Dave

Dave I'm not that fucking old! Staff Member

Media:
    Books:
    The ending battle was pretty dumb, though.

9. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Books:
    Yeah but
    "What do we do?!"
    "We die." #MonocleFlip

• Brofist Brofist x 3
  10. Null

Null Random Internet Nobody

Books:
    One of my favorite movies as a kid. And yeah, some of the deaths were pretty gruesome.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database