The Guilty Pleasure Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Guilty pleasures? I don't know... I love the new Avengers cartoon. My kids, too. All three of us get all giddy when a new one comes on. My 3 yr old daughter loves Thor. I'm hoping the live action movie isn't too highly rated. I also love most of the popular shonen manga and anime series, especially Bleach. I couldn't care less that there's some (subjectively) better stuff out there. I'm on mangastream every Thursday for my fix.

Bumble: My son loves Phineas and Ferb. I'm not much of a fan. I asked him, "Why? It's the same friggin' plot every time! It's almost like they animate new pictures, but use the same dialogue." Though, I do have "Doofenschmirtz Evil Incorporated" as my ringtone.

Bumble: My son loves Phineas and Ferb. I'm not much of a fan. I asked him, "Why? It's the same friggin' plot every time! It's almost like they animate new pictures, but use the same dialogue." Though, I do have "Doofenschmirtz Evil Incorporated" as my ringtone.
The same plot thing does get kind of old. I'm still amazed they can keep cranking out such great songs every episode! I love it :3

Cajungal

Staff member
That's a pretty cute show. It's also enough proof for me that most TV is terrible for kids. A lot of people think that shows about kids who like to do creative and interesting things will inspire kids to try and do the same thing themselves. They think the same thing about The Wiggles. Those guys are constantly moving around, so the kids will want to also! Not so... They imitate TV until they start to realize that the parents might want them to imitate TV... crafty little bastards.

That said, Perry is adorable.

N-N-N-Necro!

I love The Rocky Horror Picture Show as a film to just watch. I don't really like going to live showings with people yelling out and throwing shit around.[DOUBLEPOST=1353321931][/DOUBLEPOST]
>_>

<_<

Boyzone
Also, best part of necroing this thread.

Soda. I know the stuff is basically battery acid with 40 pounds of sugar/HFCS added, but it's soooooo good. Other people have coffee, cigarettes, etc. Let me have my Coke.

Soda. I know the stuff is basically battery acid with 40 pounds of sugar/HFCS added, but it's soooooo good. Other people have coffee, cigarettes, etc. Let me have my Coke.
Ditto. Its especially bad for me as I have a damn bone condition.

Mid-night snacks. I stay up late a lot and I end up making ramen or something.

Japanese or Korean pop music. The tunes are just so damn catchy! Even if I don't know the words most of the time.

This version by Led Zepplin of The Maid Freed from the Gallows. The change in the lyrics and the twist ending make me giggle every time I listen to it.
I'm a bad person.

I have to admit, finally, that my guiltiest of guilty pleasures is... Starbucks coffee. I know, I know, I've been horribly derisive towards it in the past, and I still don't like the kinds of seattleites that hang out at Starbucks, and I still have a few coffee houses I prefer over Starbucks, but I do like their drinks, and I do like the fct that you can get it almost everywhere.

fade

Staff member
I've honestly never understood the hate for Starbucks coffee (not the corporation or the culture). I've had coffee at a pretty wide selection of places, and Starbucks isn't some kind of far-field outlier. It tastes pretty good to me.

Cajungal

Staff member
I used to really dislike their coffee because every drink seemed to have a really strong burnt taste. Somehow, I haven't had the same experience at every store, though. So far I've had passable coffee from Starbucks in California, London, and an Atlanta airport... But not Louisiana. Not sure why it tastes different in different places; the preparation can't be *that* different. The best coffee for me comes from a stainless steel French press. Stays hot foreeeever!

I've honestly never understood the hate for Starbucks coffee (not the corporation or the culture). I've had coffee at a pretty wide selection of places, and Starbucks isn't some kind of far-field outlier. It tastes pretty good to me.

It's cause it's mainstream, yo.

I personally am a Chock full o nuts man.

Around here they used to have the nickname Charbucks, and for good reason, as CG pointed out. They used to really, really burn their coffee during roasting and an especially nasty burnt flavor carried over into the coffee - no matter how much flavored syrup you had them add. I was also displeased with them when they cut back on the varieties of syrups they offered, because my favorite drink was a tall Irish cream latte, and then they stopped offering Irish cream. Now all I drink from them is their caramel macchiato, or their dark roast coffee, and I enjoy both of them - as they've stopped burning the damn coffee. It's just that I don't really have time most work days to enjoy a cup of coffee, to really sit down and relax and have a nice cup of coffee, so what I tend to drink instead is just a way to transport caffeine from the coffee to my bloodstream, and it's usually the free stuff they have at work, which is pretty damn nasty. Which says more about how it's brewed then anything else, because it's a medium roast Starbucks breakfast blend, which I also enjoy at home.

I used to really dislike their coffee because every drink seemed to have a really strong burnt taste. Somehow, I haven't had the same experience at every store, though... But not Louisiana. Not sure why it tastes different in different places...
It is because they forgot to strain the Swamp out of the water...

There is one Starbucks near my house that has very tasty coffee drinks. There is another one nearby that always has burnt tasting coffee. I think it has to do with the barristas and how the new people working at the stores are trained by them. But I will say that after 10 days of drinking "cafe" at a bar every morning in Rome, I got spoiled. My mom brought me a Starbucks latte, my usual go to drink then, when she picked me up at the airport and it was repulsive. Dunkin' Donuts coffees tasted closer to what I had in Italy.

It's like anything else, if the employees of the Starbucks are lazy douchebags, the coffee is going to be terrible because they probably leave the pots on to burn and don't descale or thoroughly clean their equipment often. Just because we have chain stores/restraunts/coffee shops doesn't change the fact that some people do their jobs properly and some people just squeek by doing the minimum amount of work. It's always baffled me that people expect different branches of chains to be exactly the same everywhere they go in terms of quality and service.

Also, that wasn't directed at any particular post or poster in the thread, just something that I've observed.

fade

Staff member
Some people don't like dark roasts, and Starbucks made them popular. That's cool--to each their own. I like them personally. I'm not much for really light roasts myself. But then, the light roasts don't inspire hatred in me, either.

One think I did notice is that back in the UP of Michigan, they make THE most watered down coffee. It's basically slightly brown water. I never noticed it until I visited back home a few times. If I can see the bottom of the mug on a full cup of coffee, it isn't worth even drinking.

It actually has way more to do with starbucks using mediocre beans that have little flavor. They buy cheap, mediocre coffee beans and don't really care about the quality. They aren't the worst beans mind you, they are just ok. Their drip coffee, while improved using Clovers and Pour over methods, is nothing special but it's decent if you need a cup of coffee.
I do feel extremely comfortable saying that they have the worst espresso of any chain for the most part and they have no desire to make sure you get a good shot in any of their drinks. It's honestly just horrible.

I say this as someone who loves dark and light roasts. There are dark roasts that are actually very good and flavorful out there but you won't find them at Starbucks for the most part. You will find a decent cup of coffee. And usually thats just fine. They treat their employees great so they are a good place to support if you don't have a good indie shop near you though.

fade

Staff member
That's odd to me, because I actually was going to write earlier that I like the strong flavor of Starbucks over the weak stuff the mom and pops usually make. Especially their Verona blend. I'll buy that stuff in a heartbeat. I'm not trying to preach from the pulpit of starbucks here--I've had some awesome blends elsewhere, but really, they weren't what I'd call radically different. Maybe I don't have a sophisticated coffee palate.

Status
Not open for further replies.