[TV] The General Marvel TV/Streaming Thread

If Disney is willing to stop this "Disney Vault" nonsense and put EVERYTHING... and I mean -EVERYTHING- that they've released on their service, I'd consider it. I'm talking full runs of stuff like Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, and Darkwing Duck, alongside stuff like the entire run of The Wonderful World of Disney and their movies and TV movies. There is so much of their content that simply isn't readily available and THAT is what I want.

At today’s Disney Investor Day, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige outlined the superheroic side of the upcoming streaming service Disney+.

That includes a number of original shows: “Wanda Vision,” which will star Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlet Witch and Paul Bettany as The Vision; “Falcon and the Winter Soldier” starring Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan as the titular characters; a Loki series starring Tom Hiddleston and an animated “What if?” series. The first episode of "What if?" will consider "What if Peggy Carter became Captain America?" (Tech Crunch)

Maybe it's like a sitcom. How stoked would you be for a live-studio-audience type thing where Vision is constantly getting into wacky hijinx due to his lack of humanity, with Wanda having to use her magic to fix it all.

Maybe it's like a sitcom. How stoked would you be for a live-studio-audience type thing where Vision is constantly getting into wacky hijinx due to his lack of humanity, with Wanda having to use her magic to fix it all.
This WOULD be a good way to introduce Vision's daughter to the MCU... she hangs out with Ms. Marvel, doesn't she?

This WOULD be a good way to introduce Vision's daughter to the MCU... she hangs out with Ms. Marvel, doesn't she?
Okay, I was kidding before, but if this is in any way the method to bringing Ryan North's Squirrel Girl to television, I will subscribe twice.

So like Bewitched, only inverted?

—Patrick

More streaming madness from Marvel:

Marvel and Hulu announced today that they are expanding their partnership with two new live-action series that will invoke the Spirits of Vengeance: Marvel’s Ghost Rider and Marvel Helstrom. Both are set to debut on the streaming platform in 2020.​
No word yet on whether or not the S.H.I.E.L.D. version of Ghost Rider will be associated with the new Hulu series.​
In Helstrom, Daimon and Ana Helstrom are the son and daughter of a mysterious and powerful serial killer. The siblings have a complicated dynamic as they track down the terrorizing worst of humanity​

More streaming madness from Marvel:

Marvel and Hulu announced today that they are expanding their partnership with two new live-action series that will invoke the Spirits of Vengeance: Marvel’s Ghost Rider and Marvel Helstrom. Both are set to debut on the streaming platform in 2020.​
No word yet on whether or not the S.H.I.E.L.D. version of Ghost Rider will be associated with the new Hulu series.​
In Helstrom, Daimon and Ana Helstrom are the son and daughter of a mysterious and powerful serial killer. The siblings have a complicated dynamic as they track down the terrorizing worst of humanity​
Same actor for GR, different continuity.

Also, having watched some HULU originals, and other things. I wouldn't worry about Dis-Vel having somewhere to put their R rated properties

Jessica Jones season 3 is up.

There's been so little fanfare or attention, I forgot it was coming, like Netflix just wanted to get it out of the way.

Jessica Jones season 3 is up.

There's been so little fanfare or attention, I forgot it was coming, like Netflix just wanted to get it out of the way.
Agreed. But I did catch the first 2 episodes last night and enjoyed them.
I like all the nods to Hellcat's comic-self.

If you read the article, it becomes obvious the author was being sarcastic when they call it “cool.”
Netflix has now issued a statement about the show, clarifying via a spokesperson that participants were paid for the time, and knew they weren’t applying for long-term jobs: “The pranks in Prank Encounters are spooky, supernatural, and over the top, and everyone had a great time. All participants came in with the expectation this was a one-day, hourly gig and everyone got paid for their time.

Getting back to the Marvel part of this thread... finished Jessica Jones Season 3. First off, I'm really going to miss these shows. Even at their worst *coughIronFistcough*, they were pretty good interpretations of darker, more street-level characters. I thought the casting was dead-on all-around. Now, without getting spoilery, I thought Season 3 was better than Season 2, and in some unexpected ways, completed a 3-season arc. They could have condensed an episode here and there, imo. The only thing that bugged me was
they really needed to be more consistant with Hogarth. Yes, I get she's an opportunist, but after everything she's been part of in the whole Netflix MCU, and her character development across the shows, some of her choices seemed absurd, even for her. Carrie-Ann Moss continues to play her with aplomb, which makes with a little more palatable, I guess.
And as always, I did like the little easter eggs and nods to the comic characters and their histories.

You think a dude with no martial arts abilities or charisma was dead-on for Iron Fist?

Really?

I question your sanity.

Your sanity is being currently questioned.

You think a dude with no martial arts abilities or charisma was dead-on for Iron Fist?

Really?

I question your sanity.

Your sanity is being currently questioned.
I think a dude who manages to be whiny, out-of-touch, self-important and spoiled was pretty dead-on. That was a big part of his pairing with Luke Cage in Heroes for Hire. I'll give you the fight choreography, particularly Season 1 where they shouldn't have rushed shooting and/or used a stunt double/better film cuts. Season 2 got better.

I LOVE that bit where Patsy gets into her comic book outfit. She's also a much better character this time around.

And I never thought I'd say this, but I actually like Patsy's Mom in this season.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Yar, tis a great time to be a pirate, again. Between gigabit internet, a seedbox in the netherlands, radarr, and sonarr... I'm not even paying for basic tv cable anymore.

But because I also want to encourage the things that carved the path to legitimacy 10 years ago, I still subscribe to Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Amazon Prime (mostly for the shipping but Amazon Prime Video comes with it, so I'm counting it).

I know I've said this before, but I figure if what I want isn't on one of those three things, I've done my due diligence and am justified in hoisting the jolly roger.

If what I want isn't on one of those three things, I've done my due diligence and am justified in hoisting the jolly roger.
What with all the flux going on right now and everyone launching their own streaming service just so they can have a place to hoard all their content behind a monthly payment, It's getting to the point where even I'm starting to entertain the idea. If I somehow manage to concatenate enough free time to be able to watch something, I don't want to have to worry if my favorite show(s) got moved to some other service while I wasn't looking. I already had that happen when Babylon 5 moved to TNT before I ever had cable, and I'm still sore about that.

I shouldn't have to chase my Movies/TV around from service to service just because SOMEbody decided they wanted a bigger cut of the rights to something that was created 50 years before they were even born. I already get enough running around and making sure everyone is still "in-network" with my HEALTH INSURANCE, I don't need nor want that bleeding over into my entertainment. Entertainment is supposed to be relaxing.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Pay-TV (as an industry) has lost almost two million subscribers between Jan1-Apr1 2020.
Seems once the idea of Sports went away (and wallets got tight what with all the SIP orders), people (and hotels!) are canceling their TV subs and just going with Netflix/Disney+/et al for their viewing entertainment.
what is especially sobering is that most of the first quarter activity pre-dated the virus—the numbers are likely to get considerably worse in the second quarter. [...W]ith sports off the air, and with the pain of the tsunami of unemployment just beginning to hit as the quarter ended, all these numbers will get worse in Q2
If Cable TV as a service dies, my only regret will be that I did not get the chance to help set it on fire and push it into the hole it dug itself.

--Patrick