[TV] The General Marvel TV/Streaming Thread

Didn't the first season end with a Ward face turn?
Season 1 was such a character motivation mess that it was hard to keep track of who was on which side at any given episode, but at the end:

On Danny's side: Ward, Colleen
Against Danny: Joy, Gary from Pallet Town (I can't remember the guy from Kun Lun's name but he is standard rival), and the audience

So has anyone actually watched Iron Fist season 2 yet? Is it actually watchable, or dare we hope, worth watching?
I'm at the same spot as Pez, and my impressions are the same. They did a far better job with Season 2, although I think it helps that they got someone else to be a whiny shit instead of Danny. It's a 10 episode season, so I'm hoping to finish either tonight or tomorrow, but it's been worth the watch so far.

I'm at the same spot as Pez, and my impressions are the same. They did a far better job with Season 2, although I think it helps that they got someone else to be a whiny shit instead of Danny. It's a 10 episode season, so I'm hoping to finish either tonight or tomorrow, but it's been worth the watch so far.
I'm surprised they finally lowered one the episode count on one of these (besides Defenders). Maybe it'll be a tighter season overall than some of the others.

Boy it would have been nice to cast someone as Danny Rand with ANY martial arts experience, but nooooooo, we had to have someone with little charisma and nearly non-existent acting chops ON TOP of no martial arts experience.
Yeah, at least Taimak knew martial arts, going in.

—Patrick

Ward actually has a bit of life in him now. The fight scenes are not just quick cuts anymore. Danny hasn't said "I am the immortal Iron Fist" even once and I'm six episodes in. I still consider it to be the weakest of the Marvel Netflix series, but this season doesn't suck. I don't hate it.

Well okay, then.

So I finished the season. Definitely better than Season 1 by a lot. Also, much tighter plotting than than the other Netflix shows. 10 episodes seemed to keep things on track. I liked the finale, especially. They're going to have to answer a few questions if there's a Season 3. And some nice links to the MCU in there, too.

So, I’m running behind and I just finished Jessica Jones S2. I thought it was a letdown, mostly due to slow pacing, a weak “villain,” and needless fluff in the middle. I’m guessing other people’s reviews were lost in that accidental wipe... so is just me? Or did that season meander?
I felt the same way. I didn't finish the Punisher. I stopped at episode 3 or 4. Just not compelling enough. Somebody needs to pump some life back into these characters or they need to tighten up the season with only 4 or 5 episodes.

Really curious what happens with the Iron Fist characters now that the show is cancelled. Will the other Defenders series just have to pretend they don't exist or will those characters continue? I feel like it'd be weird to forget Iron Fist now.

My hope is that they continue to show up in the other Defenders series and that this ultimately leads to Luke Cage getting cancelled after season 3, and the creation of "Heroes for Hire" and "Daughters of the Dragon" series.

And now Luke Cage is done too.

Sounds like Netflix is winding down it's relationship with Marvel ahead of their big Disney split.

So Disney kills off the Marvel/Netflix shows in order to create a new set of shows on their new streaming service.

That new streaming service doesn't appear in my country because we are too small to bother with.

The new shows get licensed to Netflix in my region

Dave

Staff member
And now Luke Cage is done too.

Sounds like Netflix is winding down it's relationship with Marvel ahead of their big Disney split.
Which sucks because Luke Cage is anazing. Fucking Disney.

These idiot companies are bringing back piracy in a big way. None of them seem to get it.

Which sucks because Luke Cage is anazing. Fucking Disney.

These idiot companies are bringing back piracy in a big way. None of them seem to get it.
Disney is a big enough interest that it can realistically afford to and expect people to pay for it's content, ESPECIALLY if they decide to start putting up exclusive Disney productions and unlocking the Disney vault for the service. FOX could have too, but it just got bought by Disney! But basically no one else has the sheer volume of hits and must haves to justify it. Like... CBS has ALL of classic Star Trek, plus the new show and I wouldn't pay 5 dollars a month for their service (which is actually more like 15) and that's ENTIRELY because I can just watch it in syndication. Discovery is great and I hope we get it for years to come, but I'm not paying 15 dollars year round for Discovery. I'll just pay 15 bucks in May/June when the season's over and binge it then (like I want to to begin with!).

Netflix works because it has a lot of stuff you can't easily access elsewhere and because it has tons of great exclusive content... but there isn't a single network that could wow me into their service. They can't and won't gate old content, which is what drives the service... CBS isn't going to stop syndicating Star Trek. It makes too much money doing it. NBC's not going to stop syndicating Law and Order and it's spin-offs. It would KILL the networks and THAT is why this is going to fail; they won't dive in whole hog and risk making the network slimmer, even if slimming down is what the network needs to do.

This season, on Daredevil Doesn't Want Me to Ever Sleep Again :

I can't remember a time Bullseye wasn't creepy and fucked up, but I just finished Ep. 5 and I'm having trouble continuing. I am seriously creeped out. And a know the baseball stuff and everything from the comics, but there is something extra awful about the way they're portraying it. DD Season 1 had me covering my eyes a whole bunch of times, and I didn't think any season would make me squirm like that again. But this is worse in a different way. Like, "too close to the news, people being like this and getting away with it" that it's hard to separate the fiction from reality. Probably just bad timing, but I seriously need to watch something happy if I want to sleep tonight.
Post automatically merged:

Also,
I hate you so much, Fisk.

Bullseye's date with his stalkee made me cringe. I've been on awkward dates before, including dates where I was the reason why it was awkward. I'm even keenly observant to the point where it can come off as creepy (a habit I've been breaking). But I wanted to lock my door after Bullseye crashed and burned.

Oh man, I really liked this season of Daredevil. It's waaaay better than DD season 2, and probably my favorite of the current returning seasons. I reminded me of what I loved about DD season 1 and got me on board for the whole Marvel/Netflix world. If they cancel it, it HAS to be Disney pulling their properties.

Dave

Staff member
I have only watched the one episode. I'd planned on bingeing this last weekend but life got in the way.

DD Season three was great. Liked their take on Bullseye and Fisk was fantastic as always. Good development on the characters but I won't be surprised when after S3 of Jessica Jones and S2 of Punisher air they will all join Luke ad Danny as canceled.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Another vote for S3 of Daredevil being fantastic. I was really impressed with Wilson Bethel as Benjamin Poindexter. The last show I saw him on was "Hart of Dixie" as a redneck bartender. There's very little of him as Wade to be found in his performance as Dex. Really impressive to see such a strong divide between two characters played by an actor.