[TV] The General Marvel TV/Streaming Thread

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/02/03/daredevil-teaser-trailer-exclusive-debut

Here we go. First official trailer for the upcoming Daredevil series.

Looks like they're going from the Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker runs, which are dark and gritty, as opposed to Mark Waid's more light-hearted style. And that's fine. Bendis & Brubaker's runs were phenomenal. A noir style suits Daredevil just fine.

Still not crazy about the all-black costume, but it does go back to Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear costume. They could easily put him in the proper red and horns later on, like in the second season.

My only complaint? It doesn't look like Murdock's eyes are opaque, as they should be as a blind man. It's such a unique, iconic to the character that I'm really disappointed they didn't include it here. It's not like the actor will have to wear contacts often, since his eyes will be covered by a mask or sunglasses.

My only complaint? It doesn't look like Murdock's eyes are opaque, as they should be as a blind man.
It's a common TV/comic/movie trope for blind people to have white pupils, but his eyes would only be opaque if he developed cataracts.

If the blindness was due to radiation damaging the optic nerve, there's no reason for eyes to be opaque "as they should be".

It's a common TV/comic/movie trope for blind people to have white pupils, but his eyes would only be opaque if he developed cataracts.

If the blindness was due to radiation damaging the optic nerve, there's no reason for eyes to be opaque "as they should be".
They were also burned. Honestly you could probably get away with either choice. Like Nick mentioned you rarely if ever see his eyes anyways.

Still not crazy about the all-black costume, but it does go back to Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear costume. They could easily put him in the proper red and horns later on, like in the second season..
Or his Fall From Grace costume! Okay maybe not.

I figured they would go the noir route. Old Hornhead lends himself well to it, while being a versatile enough character to not be bound by it. Noir makes more sense for this.

I need to watch this when I get home from work.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/02/03/daredevil-teaser-trailer-exclusive-debut

Here we go. First official trailer for the upcoming Daredevil series.

Looks like they're going from the Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker runs, which are dark and gritty, as opposed to Mark Waid's more light-hearted style. And that's fine. Bendis & Brubaker's runs were phenomenal. A noir style suits Daredevil just fine.

Still not crazy about the all-black costume, but it does go back to Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear costume. They could easily put him in the proper red and horns later on, like in the second season.

My only complaint? It doesn't look like Murdock's eyes are opaque, as they should be as a blind man. It's such a unique, iconic to the character that I'm really disappointed they didn't include it here. It's not like the actor will have to wear contacts often, since his eyes will be covered by a mask or sunglasses.
I think the 'normal' eyes are a bolder choice actually: they make it less obvious that he's blind so they'll have to rely on the acting to convey that

I honestly have very low expectations of this Daredevil show, but then again, I also did for Arrow. Let's hope that I'm just as pleasantly surprised.

Going by Netflix'es track record with original content and Marvel Studio's record with their product, I'd say the odds of these being 'not good' are slim to none.

Going by Netflix'es track record with original content and Marvel Studio's record with their product, I'd say the odds of these being 'not good' are slim to none.
I think the more prolific their stuff gets, the higher the odds that the next thing to come out is going to suck on toast.

A bad apple here and there and the bunch is spoiled? Well, no more House of Cards or Orange is the new Black it is. *needs to finish watching Lillyhammer <sp?>*

No, not at all .But claiming their track record as a reason to assume it'll be good, is suggesting their track record is spotless, which it isn't.

Heck, I'm a huge Blizzard fan, and I'll buy Starcraft II: Part III the day it comes out (you know, 31st of February 2018 or so), but I won't claim their track record means it'll be great - they've screwed up too much too often for that. I'll state it'll end up good, sure, but on release? Heh. We'll see.

Do not presume to compare the Kingpin of crime to a tawdry Hollywood actor, dolt! The Kingpin has utilized his not inconsiderable brilliance and peerless skill to gather all the mobs under one banner. Every racketeer, every safe cracker, every pickpocket dares not lift a finger without the express command of the Kingpin! No costumed do-gooder can ever hope to prevail against the Kingpin's intricate plans!

This will always be my Kingpin.

It was basically the only interesting thing the Daredevil movie did and one of the few things that worked.

As much as MCD got the physical part of Kingpin down, D'onofrio has the most menacing screen presence of like, any, actor of the last two decades.

fade

Staff member
As much as MCD got the physical part of Kingpin down, D'onofrio has the most menacing screen presence of like, any, actor of the last two decades.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of D'onofrio. I think he's a highly underutilized actor who really plants himself in a role. Very excited to see him as Kingpin.

Except there has been a history of Daredevil being more of a noir comic. It's clear they're taking influences from Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, and Ed Brubaker. They mention Mark Waid's current run, but don't mention the stuff that put Daredevil back on the map in comics? Where it was more gritty and noir?

And that's fine. Daredevil is a versatile enough character that you can get away with that. I love Waid's light-hearted run, but it's way too out there with crazy, over the top superheroics for it work as a TV series. I'm totally okay with the noir take on 'ol Hornhead.