[TV] The General Marvel TV/Streaming Thread

fade

Staff member
I really like Vincent Donofrio. He was great as Detective Goren.

On the other hand, I always found Daredevil to be a silly, silly character. He's friggin' blind. But his superpower is that despite being blind, he's really not...blind.

On the other hand, I always found Daredevil to be a silly, silly character. He's friggin' blind. But his superpower is that despite being blind, he's really not...blind.
Eh, most superheroes are silly if you put too much thought into it. I love the fact that he's blind but his other senses compensate or even over-compensate. Plus, he's one of the few disabled superheroes, which you can't deny is very encouraging for those with disabilities. He's probably my second favourite superhero.

As the LEOG once said in one of their podcasts, his real power isn't his increased senses, it's his ability to deliver horrible, punitive beatings.

Well, because of his remaining and improved four senses, he's got a 360 degree radar. It's all but impossible to get the drop on him. He also instantly knows if somebody's lying by listening to their pulse.

Nope, he is completely blind. His eyes do not see at all. His superpower is that all his other senses are more powerful and he has a radar sense. He is also a top notch martial artist and a one of the few Marvel heroes with a steady day job, that of a defense lawyer. He is also the one Marvel hero to give Spidey a run for his money as far as superhero life effing up his real life. Mark Waid's current run on him is great and you are seriously shorting yourself if you write him off as silly. I think he is one of Marvel's coolest heroes and I am stoked for the Netflix series as it's the perfect medium for the character.

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
Okay, I get that. I'm a huge comic nerd, and I even wrote a few of my own. I know what DD's powers are, and I do get that it's a "radar sense", but my point was that it basically ends up being a sight replacement.

Okay, I get that. I'm a huge comic nerd, and I even wrote a few of my own. I know what DD's powers are, and I do get that it's a "radar sense", but my point was that it basically ends up being a sight replacement.
Not really. He's still blind. He still can't see properly. The radar sense only gives him outlines of people.

fade

Staff member
That varies with the artist. Plus the other "heightened senses" make up the rest. E.g the boobs above.[DOUBLEPOST=1410911263,1410911139][/DOUBLEPOST]And I have read some good dd stories. I'm not sure why you guys think I haven't read him or am dismissing him outright. I can read his stories and still think the character premise is silly.

I think the disconnect is that because comics are a visual medium, artists have to visually convey his radar sense. To us, it is presented as being similar to sight, but to the character, it's a sensation that we have no way to experience. It's not sight in any way anymore than you being able to tell that there's a wet dog in the room and in what general direction based on its smell.

fade

Staff member
Again, I get that it's not actually in any way sight from his eyeballs, but it still functions as an ersatz sight in that it functions for all intents and purposes as a replacement for his sight. You're welcome to interpret this the way you please, but to me, it reads as he lost his sight but his superpower is that he got it back (not literally, explicitly, through his eyeballs, tax, title, and tags). I just think it's funny in a haha way. Sure he kicks ass and doesn't have fear, but those aren't superpowers in the preternatural sense. I don't want to eat his babies or anything.

Again, I get that it's not actually in any way sight from his eyeballs, but it still functions as an ersatz sight in that it functions for all intents and purposes as a replacement for his sight. You're welcome to interpret this the way you please, but to me, it reads as he lost his sight but his superpower is that he got it back (not literally, explicitly, through his eyeballs, tax, title, and tags). I just think it's funny in a haha way. Sure he kicks ass and doesn't have fear, but those aren't superpowers in the preternatural sense. I don't want to eat his babies or anything.

I feel like Toph in Avatar the Last Airbender was a great interpretation of this character archtype. Like Daredevil, she is blind, but is able to compensate using her power (in this case, earthbending) to 'see' via vibrations through the ground. And while being blind never limits her (she kicks tons of ass) there are limitations that can inhibit her, such as Aang using airbending to fly and never touch the ground, thus appearing invisible to her when they first battled. Or how everything looked 'fuzzy' and hard to make out when they were in the desert, due to the sand not transversing the vibrations as well as solid earth did.

Also, don't forget that this strength is also a weakness. You can basically take him down with an airhorn and a gun, really. :p

Also, don't forget that this strength is also a weakness. You can basically take him down with an airhorn and a gun, really. :p
Dammit all, I don't know how to search for that meme image with the dude raising a finger to argue, then lowers his hand because he can't argue.

But you know. That image. I'm posting that image hypothetically.

Another picture released for Daredevil:

And concept promo art for the series:

(both via io9)

It's worth checking out the link. io9 has a breakdown of clips that were shown at NYCC. They are reportedly dark, intense, and impressive.

From what I've heard, that costume is serving as Daredevil's first costume, so presumably we'll get the standard red one sometime later down the line.

It sounds more like this is what they're going with:

I heard somewhere that the plan is for him to get the iconic red costume by the end of the first season. Let's hope because I don't like the dull black one for a long period.

Season 1 of “Marvel’s Daredevil” will premiere with 13 one-hour episodes on April 10, 2015 at 12:01 a.m. PT in all territories where Netflix is available. (Marvel)