Export thread

The General Marvel TV/Streaming Thread

Limit: 500

evilmike

evilmike

Marvel has signed a deal with Netflix to produce 4 13-episode series on Netflix as well as a mini-series. The shows will be based around Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. The mini-series will be "The Defenders".

(via The Hollywood Reporter)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hell yes. I'm in.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I knew one of the shows would be Daredevil! Glad they're going that route with the character.

Covar

Covar

Jessica Jones? Really? Well at least Netflix knows Brian Michael Bendis will be watching the show.

Frank

Frank

Michael Jai White for Luke Cage.

FUCKING DO IT!

Bowielee

Bowielee

So, remember when everyone freaked out because Disney bought Marvel? I'd have to say I'm sure that the vast majority of this wouldn't be happening if they didn't have Disney backing them. So, in the end, it was probably a good thing.

It kind of gives me hope for the Star Wars franchise.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I just wish there was a spin-off of Luke Cage and Iron Fist from The Avengers cartoon. I hope it's good! Daredevil done right would be awesome too.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, Heroes for Hire would be way radder than just either of them on their own.

Covar

Covar

I know people really want to rag on and complain about Disney, but they're very smart about acquiring successful creative outlets and enhancing their creative skills with their improved funding and distribution systems.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I know people really want to rag on and complain about Disney, but they're very smart about acquiring successful creative outlets and enhancing their creative skills with their improved funding and distribution systems.
This is true, but Disney has also been known to... well...

Gryfter

Gryfter

Holy crap! That sounds awesome.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, Heroes for Hire would be way radder than just either of them on their own.
I now want to see an A-Team/Hercules-styled show with Cage and Rand drifting from place to place, answering classified ads placed by the downtrodden, writing wrongs and kicking ass.
...something like Showdown in Little Tokyo, but less corny.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This could be great. Might actually get Netflix just for this.

Is it just me or is Netflix turning into a network on it's own rights now? It's producing original content, but it's doing it on it's own terms.

Covar

Covar

This could be great. Might actually get Netflix just for this.

Is it just me or is Netflix turning into a network on it's own rights now? It's producing original content, but it's doing it on it's own terms.
Netflix now has more US subscribers than HBO, with a lot less pretentiousness and need to add breasts to everything.

The way they're approaching the original programming is interesting as well. They're looking at the analytics of their users, and ordering shows according to the different audiences. So Netflix doesn't intend or care that people who watch House of Cards don't watch Hemlock Grove for example. They know there's an audience that likes horror and Eli Roth, so they ordered Hemlock Grove. It's really clever.

Frank

Frank

Their original programming is generally good too (beyond the analytics of who watches what). Hemlock Grove being the only stinker.

They're definitely on their way to becoming an eminent power in what we watch.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I now want to see an A-Team/Hercules-styled show with Cage and Rand drifting from place to place, answering classified ads placed by the downtrodden, writing wrongs and kicking ass.
...something like Showdown in Little Tokyo, but less corny.

--Patrick
I'm suddenly reminded of Shannow's signature.

Gryfter

Gryfter

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Start spreading the news!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Now, I'm just wondering if we'll be seeing them in the present day or if they'll be setting these shows in the 1970s.

Bowielee

Bowielee

A Marvel story taking place in New York? The hell you say!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04...ill-be-part-of-the-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Daredevil - and assumed by association, the rest of the Netflix series - will tie in with the rest of Marvel's cinematic universe. So it's in the same universe as SHIELD and The Avengers. Interesting. Hopefully, it doesn't get too bogged down with crossovers so it can breathe on its own.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04...ill-be-part-of-the-marvel-cinematic-universe/

Daredevil - and assumed by association, the rest of the Netflix series - will tie in with the rest of Marvel's cinematic universe. So it's in the same universe as SHIELD and The Avengers. Interesting. Hopefully, it doesn't get too bogged down with crossovers so it can breathe on its own.
Indeed. I'm hoping that they end up setting these shows in the 1970s, personally.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Indeed. I'm hoping that they end up setting these shows in the 1970s, personally.
Unlikely, but hopefully they can retain some of that vibe.

Having a Defenders Mini that doesn't have Dr. Strange *who was one of the first people listed on the kill list in Cap 2* just feels wrong to me, though. :(

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Unlikely, but hopefully they can retain some of that vibe.

Having a Defenders Mini that doesn't have Dr. Strange *who was one of the first people listed on the kill list in Cap 2* just feels wrong to me, though. :(
To be fair, Dr. Strange is just too big a character to be slumming it on TV. Much as I love Daredevil, the TV setting is good for him.

PatrThom

PatrThom

To be fair, Dr. Strange is just too big a character to be slumming it on TV.
Amen.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/27/report-charlie-cox-is-marvel-and-netflixs-daredevil/

Current rumour has Charlie Cox is (or will be) cast for Daredevil/Matt Murdock. He's best known as starring in Stardust (a criminally underrated movie) and several appearances in Boardwalk Empire. I've never seen the latter, but heard it was great.

Personally, I'm definitely okay with this news if it's true. He seems to be a solid actor and looks like he could play the part well. We'll see.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They have their Kingpin for the Daredevil series: Vincent D'Onofrio.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=119386

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Man, I wish Vincent was not such a good choice for the role...

I liked him when he was thinner.

Gryfter

Gryfter

They have their Kingpin for the Daredevil series: Vincent D'Onofrio.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=119386
Good choice!

evilmike

evilmike

Another actor added to Daredevil in an unknown role: Rosario Dawson. (via io9)

Frank

Frank

Hopefully as Kirsten McDuffie. Seriously.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Deborah Ann Wolf has joined the Daredevil cast as Karen Page.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=120711

evilmike

evilmike

E! has set pictures of Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Looking good. I'm wondering who they'll get as Foggy Nelson.

My goal for the next Comic Con is to get into good enough shape so I can wear the Daredevil outfit and look passable. I'm talking about the original costume. Incidentally, the gf is being very supportive.

evilmike

evilmike

More casting news for Daredevil: Scott Glenn has been cast as Matt Murdock's martial arts mentor , Stick. (via Topless Robot, TheWrap)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

More casting news for Daredevil: Scott Glenn has been cast as Matt Murdock's martial arts mentor , Stick. (via Topless Robot, TheWrap)
I don't recall seeing him in anything, off hand, but just a quick look at his IMDB page photos made me go, "Ooh, good choice!"

fade

fade

I really like Vincent Donofrio. He was great as Detective Goren.

On the other hand, I always found Daredevil to be a silly, silly character. He's friggin' blind. But his superpower is that despite being blind, he's really not...blind.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

On the other hand, I always found Daredevil to be a silly, silly character. He's friggin' blind. But his superpower is that despite being blind, he's really not...blind.
Eh, most superheroes are silly if you put too much thought into it. I love the fact that he's blind but his other senses compensate or even over-compensate. Plus, he's one of the few disabled superheroes, which you can't deny is very encouraging for those with disabilities. He's probably my second favourite superhero.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

As the LEOG once said in one of their podcasts, his real power isn't his increased senses, it's his ability to deliver horrible, punitive beatings.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

As the LEOG once said in one of their podcasts, his real power isn't his increased senses, it's being the man without fear

and the beatings.

FTFY.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Well, because of his remaining and improved four senses, he's got a 360 degree radar. It's all but impossible to get the drop on him. He also instantly knows if somebody's lying by listening to their pulse.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Nope, he is completely blind. His eyes do not see at all. His superpower is that all his other senses are more powerful and he has a radar sense. He is also a top notch martial artist and a one of the few Marvel heroes with a steady day job, that of a defense lawyer. He is also the one Marvel hero to give Spidey a run for his money as far as superhero life effing up his real life. Mark Waid's current run on him is great and you are seriously shorting yourself if you write him off as silly. I think he is one of Marvel's coolest heroes and I am stoked for the Netflix series as it's the perfect medium for the character.

fade

fade

Okay, I get that. I'm a huge comic nerd, and I even wrote a few of my own. I know what DD's powers are, and I do get that it's a "radar sense", but my point was that it basically ends up being a sight replacement.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Okay, I get that. I'm a huge comic nerd, and I even wrote a few of my own. I know what DD's powers are, and I do get that it's a "radar sense", but my point was that it basically ends up being a sight replacement.
Not really. He's still blind. He still can't see properly. The radar sense only gives him outlines of people.

fade

fade

That varies with the artist. Plus the other "heightened senses" make up the rest. E.g the boobs above.[DOUBLEPOST=1410911263,1410911139][/DOUBLEPOST]And I have read some good dd stories. I'm not sure why you guys think I haven't read him or am dismissing him outright. I can read his stories and still think the character premise is silly.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think the disconnect is that because comics are a visual medium, artists have to visually convey his radar sense. To us, it is presented as being similar to sight, but to the character, it's a sensation that we have no way to experience. It's not sight in any way anymore than you being able to tell that there's a wet dog in the room and in what general direction based on its smell.

fade

fade

Again, I get that it's not actually in any way sight from his eyeballs, but it still functions as an ersatz sight in that it functions for all intents and purposes as a replacement for his sight. You're welcome to interpret this the way you please, but to me, it reads as he lost his sight but his superpower is that he got it back (not literally, explicitly, through his eyeballs, tax, title, and tags). I just think it's funny in a haha way. Sure he kicks ass and doesn't have fear, but those aren't superpowers in the preternatural sense. I don't want to eat his babies or anything.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Again, I get that it's not actually in any way sight from his eyeballs, but it still functions as an ersatz sight in that it functions for all intents and purposes as a replacement for his sight. You're welcome to interpret this the way you please, but to me, it reads as he lost his sight but his superpower is that he got it back (not literally, explicitly, through his eyeballs, tax, title, and tags). I just think it's funny in a haha way. Sure he kicks ass and doesn't have fear, but those aren't superpowers in the preternatural sense. I don't want to eat his babies or anything.

I feel like Toph in Avatar the Last Airbender was a great interpretation of this character archtype. Like Daredevil, she is blind, but is able to compensate using her power (in this case, earthbending) to 'see' via vibrations through the ground. And while being blind never limits her (she kicks tons of ass) there are limitations that can inhibit her, such as Aang using airbending to fly and never touch the ground, thus appearing invisible to her when they first battled. Or how everything looked 'fuzzy' and hard to make out when they were in the desert, due to the sand not transversing the vibrations as well as solid earth did.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Also, don't forget that this strength is also a weakness. You can basically take him down with an airhorn and a gun, really. :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Also, don't forget that this strength is also a weakness. You can basically take him down with an airhorn and a gun, really. :p
Dammit all, I don't know how to search for that meme image with the dude raising a finger to argue, then lowers his hand because he can't argue.

But you know. That image. I'm posting that image hypothetically.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dammit all, I don't know how to search for that meme image with the dude raising a finger to argue, then lowers his hand because he can't argue.

But you know. That image. I'm posting that image hypothetically.
Allow me to be of some assistance...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Allow me to be of some assistance...
Not exactly the image I had in mind, but close enough.

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

evilmike

Another picture released for Daredevil:

And concept promo art for the series:

(both via io9)

It's worth checking out the link. io9 has a breakdown of clips that were shown at NYCC. They are reportedly dark, intense, and impressive.

Bowielee

Bowielee

So... they went with the costume from Trial of the Incredible Hulk?[DOUBLEPOST=1413095477,1413095371][/DOUBLEPOST]
the-trial-of-the-incredible-hulk-original.jpg

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

From what I've heard, that costume is serving as Daredevil's first costume, so presumably we'll get the standard red one sometime later down the line.

evilmike

evilmike

So... they went with the costume from Trial of the Incredible Hulk?[DOUBLEPOST=1413095477,1413095371][/DOUBLEPOST]View attachment 16283
That would explain the cameo by Rex Smith. :)

I suspect the inspiration may be from another source:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It sounds more like this is what they're going with:

I heard somewhere that the plan is for him to get the iconic red costume by the end of the first season. Let's hope because I don't like the dull black one for a long period.

Gryfter

Gryfter

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's...pretty good casting, actually. Okay, I'm in.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

My favorite Daredevil panel:

evilmike

evilmike

Mike Colter has been cast as Luke Cage. (io9)

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Daredevil has a teaser now.

evilmike

evilmike

Season 1 of “Marvel’s Daredevil” will premiere with 13 one-hour episodes on April 10, 2015 at 12:01 a.m. PT in all territories where Netflix is available. (Marvel)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm seriously ultra excited for this. Daredevil is my second favourite superhero.

Gryfter

Gryfter

He works.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

A.K.A. Jessica Jones has its Purple Man, by way of David Tennant.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...e-marvel-cinematic-universe-as-the-purple-man

Gryfter

Gryfter

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...e-marvel-cinematic-universe-as-the-purple-man
Better and better...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hot damn, that's exciting.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Goddamn that's great casting.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

He's a good choice for Luke Cage; looking forward to these series.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I fully expect, nay, DEMAND that Luke Cage sport a yellow disco shirt and matching wrist and head bands for at least one episode.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The newest addition to the A.K.A. Jessica Jones cast is Rachael Taylor as Patsy Walker, better known as Hellcat.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I fully expect, nay, DEMAND that Luke Cage sport a yellow disco shirt and matching wrist and head bands for at least one episode.
and the fro.... don't forget the fro....bro.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

If I don't hear a "Sweet Christmas" I will never laugh again.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Now, what I wonder is if he's going to get the idea for his Luke Cage alias from watching a Nicolas Cage film.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Now, what I wonder is if he's going to get the idea for his Luke Cage alias from watching a Nicolas Cage film.
Cageception!

BWOOOOOOOOOM!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/02/03/daredevil-teaser-trailer-exclusive-debut

Here we go. First official trailer for the upcoming Daredevil series.

Looks like they're going from the Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker runs, which are dark and gritty, as opposed to Mark Waid's more light-hearted style. And that's fine. Bendis & Brubaker's runs were phenomenal. A noir style suits Daredevil just fine.

Still not crazy about the all-black costume, but it does go back to Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear costume. They could easily put him in the proper red and horns later on, like in the second season.

My only complaint? It doesn't look like Murdock's eyes are opaque, as they should be as a blind man. It's such a unique, iconic to the character that I'm really disappointed they didn't include it here. It's not like the actor will have to wear contacts often, since his eyes will be covered by a mask or sunglasses.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

My only complaint? It doesn't look like Murdock's eyes are opaque, as they should be as a blind man.
It's a common TV/comic/movie trope for blind people to have white pupils, but his eyes would only be opaque if he developed cataracts.

If the blindness was due to radiation damaging the optic nerve, there's no reason for eyes to be opaque "as they should be".

Covar

Covar

It's a common TV/comic/movie trope for blind people to have white pupils, but his eyes would only be opaque if he developed cataracts.

If the blindness was due to radiation damaging the optic nerve, there's no reason for eyes to be opaque "as they should be".
They were also burned. Honestly you could probably get away with either choice. Like Nick mentioned you rarely if ever see his eyes anyways.

Still not crazy about the all-black costume, but it does go back to Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear costume. They could easily put him in the proper red and horns later on, like in the second season..
Or his Fall From Grace costume! Okay maybe not.

I figured they would go the noir route. Old Hornhead lends himself well to it, while being a versatile enough character to not be bound by it. Noir makes more sense for this.

I need to watch this when I get home from work.

tegid

tegid

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/02/03/daredevil-teaser-trailer-exclusive-debut

Here we go. First official trailer for the upcoming Daredevil series.

Looks like they're going from the Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker runs, which are dark and gritty, as opposed to Mark Waid's more light-hearted style. And that's fine. Bendis & Brubaker's runs were phenomenal. A noir style suits Daredevil just fine.

Still not crazy about the all-black costume, but it does go back to Frank Miller's The Man Without Fear costume. They could easily put him in the proper red and horns later on, like in the second season.

My only complaint? It doesn't look like Murdock's eyes are opaque, as they should be as a blind man. It's such a unique, iconic to the character that I'm really disappointed they didn't include it here. It's not like the actor will have to wear contacts often, since his eyes will be covered by a mask or sunglasses.
I think the 'normal' eyes are a bolder choice actually: they make it less obvious that he's blind so they'll have to rely on the acting to convey that

Gryfter

Gryfter

I am so effing down for this, April 10th can't come soon enough.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Maybe he thought it was red!
That's what I always figured what the reason for his first costume. Oh, lord. That costume.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I honestly have very low expectations of this Daredevil show, but then again, I also did for Arrow. Let's hope that I'm just as pleasantly surprised.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Going by Netflix'es track record with original content and Marvel Studio's record with their product, I'd say the odds of these being 'not good' are slim to none.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Going by Netflix'es track record with original content and Marvel Studio's record with their product, I'd say the odds of these being 'not good' are slim to none.
I think the more prolific their stuff gets, the higher the odds that the next thing to come out is going to suck on toast.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Going by Netflix'es track record with original content

....You were the one fan Marco Polo had?

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

A bad apple here and there and the bunch is spoiled? Well, no more House of Cards or Orange is the new Black it is. *needs to finish watching Lillyhammer <sp?>*

Bubble181

Bubble181

No, not at all .But claiming their track record as a reason to assume it'll be good, is suggesting their track record is spotless, which it isn't.

Heck, I'm a huge Blizzard fan, and I'll buy Starcraft II: Part III the day it comes out (you know, 31st of February 2018 or so), but I won't claim their track record means it'll be great - they've screwed up too much too often for that. I'll state it'll end up good, sure, but on release? Heh. We'll see.

evilmike

evilmike

New pictures of the Kingpin

(via io9)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Goddamn, that's Kingpin right there. I am getting so stoked for this show.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'd barely recognize Vincent D'onofrio in those pictures.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'd barely recognize Vincent D'onofrio in those pictures.
I thought the first pic was Michael Chiklis.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Do not presume to compare the Kingpin of crime to a tawdry Hollywood actor, dolt! The Kingpin has utilized his not inconsiderable brilliance and peerless skill to gather all the mobs under one banner. Every racketeer, every safe cracker, every pickpocket dares not lift a finger without the express command of the Kingpin! No costumed do-gooder can ever hope to prevail against the Kingpin's intricate plans!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This will always be my Kingpin.

It was basically the only interesting thing the Daredevil movie did and one of the few things that worked.

General Specific

General Specific

If Michael Clarke Duncan was still alive, I'd be wanting his return as well, but as it is, this seems to be a good fit.

Frank

Frank

As much as MCD got the physical part of Kingpin down, D'onofrio has the most menacing screen presence of like, any, actor of the last two decades.

Bowielee

Bowielee

As much as MCD got the physical part of Kingpin down, D'onofrio has the most menacing screen presence of like, any, actor of the last two decades.
The Cell would have been a terrible movie if not for him.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The Cell would have been a terrible movie if not for him.
It's still kind of a terrible movie, but it would have been more terrible without him.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

One month. ONE MONTH.

fade

fade

Yeah, I'm a big fan of D'onofrio. I think he's a highly underutilized actor who really plants himself in a role. Very excited to see him as Kingpin.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Except there has been a history of Daredevil being more of a noir comic. It's clear they're taking influences from Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, and Ed Brubaker. They mention Mark Waid's current run, but don't mention the stuff that put Daredevil back on the map in comics? Where it was more gritty and noir?

And that's fine. Daredevil is a versatile enough character that you can get away with that. I love Waid's light-hearted run, but it's way too out there with crazy, over the top superheroics for it work as a TV series. I'm totally okay with the noir take on 'ol Hornhead.

fade

fade

Except there has been a history of Daredevil being more of a noir comic. It's clear they're taking influences from Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, and Ed Brubaker. They mention Mark Waid's current run, but don't mention the stuff that put Daredevil back on the map in comics? Where it was more gritty and noir?

And that's fine. Daredevil is a versatile enough character that you can get away with that. I love Waid's light-hearted run, but it's way too out there with crazy, over the top superheroics for it work as a TV series. I'm totally okay with the noir take on 'ol Hornhead.
Yeah, I kind of had the same feeling. I remember when I first got into Daredevil in the late 80s, it was one of the darker comics out there. I remember him being in Japan in the snow, and ruminating that his actions were probably going to result in the deaths of some of his enemies. Jeez, even Bats doesn't do that.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I kind of had the same feeling. I remember when I first got into Daredevil in the late 80s, it was one of the darker comics out there. I remember him being in Japan in the snow, and ruminating that his actions were probably going to result in the deaths of some of his enemies. Jeez, even Bats doesn't do that.
Or the fact that he broke pretty much all of Bullseye's bones and left him a quadriplegic after Bullseye had killed Elektra. Not even Batman goes that far.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, it kind of felt like the article author was leaning too much on the more recent run of DD where the Murdock stuff is a bit more light than it used to be. I mean, at the moment he's in San Fransisco dealing with Superior Iron Man (not to mention getting his sight back for a few hours and constantly getting his ass kicked).

evilmike

evilmike

Reviews of the first five episodes of Daredevil are starting to be posted, and they are quite positive: io9, Den of Geek, Variety.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Reviews of the first five episodes of Daredevil are starting to be posted, and they are quite positive: io9, Den of Geek, Variety.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Suit reveal:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Maybe a little too padded/armoured to my liking, but it still looks great from what I can tell. I'm just more of a fan of Daredevil wearing cloth or something like it to go with his ninja training background. That's a minor nitpick, though, believe me. I'm still stoked.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Maybe a little too padded/armoured to my liking, but it still looks great from what I can tell. I'm just more of a fan of Daredevil wearing cloth or something like it to go with his ninja training background. That's a minor nitpick, though, believe me. I'm still stoked.
Yeah, I cannot wait. It goes live on the East Coast at 3 AM.

One thing I am curious about is what members of Daredevil's rogues gallery we'll see turn up in the show. Obviously we've got Kingpin, who I hear is pretty much the show's second main character right alongside Daredevil, but I've also heard that Melvin Potter (Gladiator) and Leland Owlsley (The Owl) will be appearing in the series.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I cannot wait. It goes live on the East Coast at 3 AM.

One thing I am curious about is what members of Daredevil's rogues gallery we'll see turn up in the show. Obviously we've got Kingpin, who I hear is pretty much the show's second main character right alongside Daredevil, but I've also heard that Melvin Potter (Gladiator) and Leland Owlsley (The Owl) will be appearing in the series.
Come on, Stilt Man. Come oooooon, Stilt Man!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Come on, Stilt Man. Come oooooon, Stilt Man!
The odds are pretty low, but I'd love to see Stilt-Man show up, especially since Turk Barrett (who stole his armor once) is also going to turn up.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I shall be very much put out if the mysterious masked Matador doesn't make an appearance.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

IT'S ALIVE

53-minute episodes, 13 in total.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm on the first episode right now. I want to savor this series. I really do. But I think I'll probably binge and blow through the whole thing in two days.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm on the first episode right now. I want to savor this series. I really do. But I think I'll probably binge and blow through the whole thing in two days.
I devoured the first three episodes and had to force myself to stop and sleep at 2:30am. Good luck.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Just finished the second episode. Daredevil proves that you can film a great fighting sequence without resorting to the queasy cam effect.

Dave

Dave

Fuck is this good.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Just finished the second episode. Daredevil proves that you can film a great fighting sequence without resorting to the queasy cam effect.
It was very Oldboy, I loved it.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Fuck is this good.
GOD DAMN IT! I'm buried in end of semester homework, so I have to be strong and resist the temptation to binge watch, or watch at all, this show. As such, I probably won't be opening up this thread for a while to avoid spoilers.

Gryfter

Gryfter

2 episodes in and it's fan-fucking-tastic!

Dave

Dave

Episode 4 HOLY FUCK!!

We need a thread with spoilers. Holy shitsnacks.

fade

fade

sb.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm about to unfollow some people on Tumblr because they feel the need to reblog every Daredevil gif. It's been out one fucking day.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm about to unfollow some people on Tumblr because they feel the need to reblog every Daredevil gif. It's been out one fucking day.
They're slowing down. I've seen gifsets posted while episodes were still airing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They're slowing down. I've seen gifsets posted while episodes were still airing.
With Daredevil, that isn't possible :p. I'm sure they were up as soon as they could be made; I'm complaining that it's only been a day, which is a little soon for "oh, everyone's seen the season finale already." I'm not even going to be able to go online May 1st since I can't see Avengers: Age of Ultron until May 2nd.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

With Daredevil, that isn't possible :p. I'm sure they were up as soon as they could be made; I'm complaining that it's only been a day, which is a little soon for "oh, everyone's seen the season finale already." I'm not even going to be able to go online May 1st since I can't see Avengers: Age of Ultron until May 2nd.
Spoiler: they fight Ultron.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Stayed up till 4am to finish the series.

Worth it.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I've seen six episodes so far. I have to finish reading 300 pages by the 15th so I'm going to allow myself ONE episode a day after all my work's done. You know, to reward myself.

Although I could probably do two episodes a day. Maybe watch one episode to get me psyched up for studying, then the next episode after work.

And I can watch a third episode before bed.

Okay, maybe two more episodes before bed.

I'm going to binge.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm only two episodes in so far, but holy crap, it's great. Won't give full thoughts until it's done, then I'll post in the new, main Daredevil thread. One thing I REALLY like is the subtle ways they showcase his abilities. Rather than flashy special effects like the movie, it's all nuanced like raising the volume on someone's heartbeat or a little turn of the head by Daredevil. So great. And any concerns I had about his eyes not being opaque are gone because the actor is doing a phenomenal job making me a believer.

In the meantime, I've also written the first of two posts on my blog. They're comic book recommendations for people that liked the show. Really, it's running down the majority of the best Daredevil runs by different creators. Have a look.

https://nickpiers.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/if-you-liked-daredevil-tv-series-part-1/

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I wanted to watch another yesterday, but the wife said no, she doesn't want to go through it too fast.

So I might see the rest of it before 2016.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I wanted to watch another yesterday, but the wife said no, she doesn't want to go through it too fast.

So I might see the rest of it before 2016.
She's got a point, you know. Binge watching is great for catching up or watching series that've finished, but for new series it isn't always the best option. No matter what, there's production time. Even if the're already busy making season 2, it'll still be 6 months before it's finished and on line (realistically probably a year). I don't say you should try to stretch watching it out that long, but there's a point where you can say "oh, hey, I'm finished with S1 and S2 is a few weeks away!" while others have finished S1 5 months ago and have forgotten half of what there is to see, and/or aren't as interested anymore, etc.

Of course, some shows work much better watched in closer succession because you don't forget everything and there's lots of larger story being told in the background, while other shows work better at a slower pace, and YMMV.

I'm just saying, not binge watching isn't necessarily evil or bad.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

She's got a point, you know. Binge watching is great for catching up or watching series that've finished, but for new series it isn't always the best option. No matter what, there's production time. Even if the're already busy making season 2, it'll still be 6 months before it's finished and on line (realistically probably a year). I don't say you should try to stretch watching it out that long, but there's a point where you can say "oh, hey, I'm finished with S1 and S2 is a few weeks away!" while others have finished S1 5 months ago and have forgotten half of what there is to see, and/or aren't as interested anymore, etc.

Of course, some shows work much better watched in closer succession because you don't forget everything and there's lots of larger story being told in the background, while other shows work better at a slower pace, and YMMV.

I'm just saying, not binge watching isn't necessarily evil or bad.
I agree with you. I don't want to watch it all at once, but I don't want to be watching it for the next six to eight months like she stretches out a Game of Thrones season.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I agree with you. I don't want to watch it all at once, but I don't want to be watching it for the next six to eight months like she stretches out a Game of Thrones season.
Well, no.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Unless the quality drastically changes by the end, Daredevil is going to be a first-day buy for me when it comes out on BluRay. Goddamn, it just keeps getting better and better. Just finished Episode 4 and...damn. That ending. I assume that's what @Dave was talking about. Also, the end of the fight in episode three made me shout, "HOLY SHIT!"

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I just finished the episode that fleshed out Kingpin's backstory. That was intense.

I also like how the Kingpin's personal assistant is his best friend. Sometimes even comic book villains need a hug.

fade

fade

I'm really enjoying it. Especially the fighting. It feels like a real fight, even with the superhuman garnish on top. I really, really like that he gets winded and hit during fights. Anyone here who has ever practiced martial arts can tell you that a 5 minute long fight would be no different than a five minute long near-sprint run.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I've finished up on the first season of Daredevil and thought it was great. Having seen it and just how dark it's willing to get, they've got me really curious now about how they'll realize the Purple Man in a.k.a. Jessica Jones.

evilmike

evilmike

First look at the Purple Man

Gryfter

Gryfter

Actually glad that he doesn't have purple skin and approve of the wearing of purple clothes.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Actually glad that he doesn't have purple skin and approve of the wearing of purple clothes.
I was guessing they wouldn't go all the way and give him purple skin or hair. I'm actually pleased with how good the purple outfit looks.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Though it would be cool if well into the series it's revealed that he does have purple skin, but because of his power no one realizes it.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Though it would be cool if well into the series it's revealed that he does have purple skin, but because of his power no one realizes it.
I mean, that's basically how it works in the comics anyway, so it wouldn't be much of a stretch.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://marvel.com/news/tv/24478/netflix_orders_a_second_season_of_marvels_daredevil

Daredevil has been renewed for a second season! Wooooo!

And here's a Forbes article that raises some good points about this news, such as questioning the fate of The Defenders crossover among all four shows:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2015/04/21/daredevil-season-2/

One question that jumps out for me from the article: "Is it possible that Netflix and Marvel are really willing to commit – in the best of cases – to four original Netflix series a year if all the series end up becoming breakout hits?"

Between this and the other planned TV series by ABC (that'll spin from Agents of SHIELD), on top of the movies, I'm starting to wonder if all this will be sustainable.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm thinking not. At some point in time, there's going to be over-saturation. I also foresee the same problem that comic books in general have. Convoluted back story and having to have seen a bunch of various media to know what's going on in a story.

I think by the time we hit Infinity War, the public may be done with an interwoven universe. I hope that's not the case, but I can see it happening very easily.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Interwoven universe is already an issue for people. Especially abroad. Consider that other TV networks don't feel any need or want to broadcast stuff in the right order and split amongst different shows.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Interwoven universe is already an issue for people. Especially abroad. Consider that other TV networks don't feel any need or want to broadcast stuff in the right order and split amongst different shows.
Somehow i doubt that the people who are into these type of shows "abroad" are dependent on TV networks...

Bubble181

Bubble181

Somehow i doubt that the people who are into these type of shows "abroad" are dependent on TV networks...
Hello, let me introduce you to...me. I live abroad, I'm interested in these shows, and I'm waiting for TV to show them. Have we met?

Assuming everyone outside of the US is a filthy pirate and/or rich enough to buy DVDs (which, usually, don't come out till after it's aired, so....) is pretty, eh, sweeping.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well that's your choice, what i was saying is that there's an easy alternative to having to wait on local networks and most people into these kind of shows are tech savy enough to use those alternatives.

So "not being able to follow them right" is not what the problem will be...

Dei

Dei

I'm pretty sure that there it's not enough of a population of that type to singlehandedly keep the genre afloat internationally. It is way easier for average movie goer to gain media fatigue when not only are they expected to know backstory from a whole bunch of mediums, but would also have to acquire such things illegally.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm pretty sure that there it's not enough of a population of that type to singlehandedly keep the genre afloat internationally. It is way easier for average movie goer to gain media fatigue when not only are they expected to know backstory from a whole bunch of mediums, but would also have to acquire such things illegally.
This is why it's pretty much a guarantee that Agents of SHIELD won't be having a huge effect on the movies until Inhumans rolls around in 2017: international audiences may not be getting the show, so Marvel can't rely on it for much because most of their take is international now.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Didnt the latest GoT season have more pirated copies then people that actually tuned in? (while breaking records in both)

Granted, a lot of those are just gonna pirate the films too...

But of course having each film work on it's own witohut having to watch anything else is still a better idea anyway.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Didnt the latest GoT season have more pirated copies then people that actually tuned in? (while breaking records in both)

Granted, a lot of those are just gonna pirate the films too...

But of course having each film work on it's own witohut having to watch anything else is still a better idea anyway.
I was excited for HBO GO finally being a standalone product, and was all set to buy it and stop being a dirty pirate, but then they announced that whole apple exclusivity thing.

I don't even own an apple product.

Covar

Covar

I was excited for HBO GO finally being a standalone product, and was all set to buy it and stop being a dirty pirate, but then they announced that whole apple exclusivity thing.

I don't even own an apple product.
It's a 3 month exclusive

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's a 3 month exclusive
I can pirate a lot in three months.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I think streaming and DVR services have changed the situation. If shows like Daredevil lead into the movies, you can just binge that series over a weekend. Even for seasons currently in progress, you can DVR Agents of Shield every week and gradually get caught up.

It's not like it was during my high school years. It used to be required to have a friend or relative record a show that you'd miss on VHS. Before VHS, you'd have to wait until summer for reruns.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I can pirate a lot in three months.
Even without any Apple products.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Rosario Dawson been confirmed for season 2 of Daredevil. Additionally, her new deal is set up so that she can appear in any of the other Defender series. (via Comics Alliance)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Rosario Dawson been confirmed for season 2 of Daredevil. Additionally, her new deal is set up so that she can appear in any of the other Defender series. (via Comics Alliance)
Makes sense. By making Claire Temple into a nurse, they basically have the MCU version of Night Nurse. She'd be helpful to have around for a team of more street-level heroes.

evilmike

evilmike

jjones poster.jpg

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I hope that poster is fanmade because my God it is ugly as shit.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So the news comes from Latino Review, which means take it with a grain of salt, but apparently Jason Statham is rumored to be in talks to appear in the second season of Daredevil, LR's source saying likely as Bullseye.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Leaked Defenders teaser poster:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So the news comes from Latino Review, which means take it with a grain of salt, but apparently Jason Statham is rumored to be in talks to appear in the second season of Daredevil, LR's source saying likely as Bullseye.
Latino Review has a decent track record when it comes to Marvel.

fade

fade

I'd watch it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'd watch it.
Am now imagining Richard Pryor's voice exclaiming, "Sweet Mary Mother Christmas!"

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Latino Review has a decent track record when it comes to Marvel.
That's true, and apparently the talks happened during the press tour for Spy, so I wager if it's true the news will hit other sites/sources soon-ish.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Still better than DC.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So if the Statham news was true, it's not anymore.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Jon Bernthal will be arriving in season 2 of Daredevil as the Punisher.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/448701-jon-bernthal-to-play-the-punisher-in-marvels-daredevil

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Poor Thomas Jane.

Bowielee

Bowielee

He's a decent choice for Frank Castle, I think. I would love to see Thomas Jane wear the skull again, though.

Frank

Frank

Oh man, him?

This is going to be the weirdest niggle about an actor ever, but his stupid giant earlobes drive me nuts. I hate them.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Celt Z

Celt Z

So, judging by the video, she's already played Elektra, but this time with better writing.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah the video also made me think how sweet Ray Park would be as Taskmaster. I'd love to see him pop up in something MCU-related.

evilmike

evilmike

Deadline is reporting that the Luke Cage series has cast Simone Missick as Misty Knight.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I am really psyched about a Luke Cage show, and Iron Fist, and...

I might get tired of all the super-hero films/shows, but it hasn't happened yet.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I musta been one of the hundred or so fans who really enjoyed the original Iron Fist comics when they came out ;)

fade

fade

It was that popped collar that did it for you?[DOUBLEPOST=1441294836,1441294765][/DOUBLEPOST]Nightwing vs Iron Fist: Collar to the death.

The collar is inside the house.

Danny Rand/Dick Grayson: Collar ID Crisis

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Need an Iron Fist-bump icon.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

This is the closest pic I could come up with.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Gryfter

Gryfter

Do you even collar, bro?

evilmike

evilmike

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Instead of a bunch of guns, it'd better to have a ton bullets, but I get it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Instead of a bunch of guns, it'd better to have a ton bullets, but I get it.
Yeah, but then you have to reload. It's much cooler to just throw away the whole gun and pull out a new one.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, but then you have to reload. It's much cooler to just throw away the whole gun and pull out a new one.
Borderlands proved this to be correct. Tediore guns are basically Wal-Mart guns (square boxes with grips and maybe a scope) with no way to reload them... so you throw the gun away like a grenade and it explodes, with a new gun creating itself in your hand. Do it with a rocket launcher and it turns itself into a rocket.

The best version of these? The ones that explode into more exploding guns.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Borderlands proved this to be correct. Tediore guns are basically Wal-Mart guns (square boxes with grips and maybe a scope) with no way to reload them... so you throw the gun away like a grenade and it explodes, with a new gun creating itself in your hand. Do it with a rocket launcher and it turns itself into a rocket.

The best version of these? The ones that explode into more exploding guns.
I have never seen that variation.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The only thing more awesome than a knifegun (That is, a gun that shoots knives) is a knifegun-gun.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That would be the Baby Maker.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Neat, a.k.a. yay!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Better yet, how can he still hear anything with his enhanced senses after running an entire belt through that thing?

--Patrick

fade

fade

This picture makes me literally "LOL" every time I see it.

evilmike

evilmike

Scott Glenn will return for Daredevil's season 2. (via ComicsAlliance)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

fade

fade

Man, if aliens ever get our tv and movie broadcasts, they will think that clock technology stopped at the flippy clock.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Man, if aliens ever get our tv and movie broadcasts, they will think that clock technology stopped at the flippy clock.
On the bright side, they'll probably enjoy Groundhog Day, like everyone else does.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I've never seen one in the stores; not that I want one.[DOUBLEPOST=1443706244,1443706089][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is why we can't have nice things.

evilmike

evilmike

Another Jessica Jones teaser:

Celt Z

Celt Z

Another Jessica Jones teaser:
I'd like this a lot more if it didn't show Hell's Kitchen as being empty. It's NEVER* that empty, 24 hrs a day. Also because it's the main exit for the Lincoln Tunnel.

(*okay, once in my life have I ever seen it close to that empty, but that was because of *ahem* events downtown. Even in the Blackout of '03 there were a few cars but the streets were still packed with people all night.)

fade

fade

I'd like this a lot more if it didn't show Hell's Kitchen as being empty. It's NEVER* that empty, 24 hrs a day. Also because it's the main exit for the Lincoln Tunnel.

(*okay, once in my life have I ever seen it close to that empty, but that was because of *ahem* events downtown. Even in the Blackout of '03 there were a few cars but the streets were still packed with people all night.)
You know, when I was a kid, I used to be really bothered by shows that left people out of the world. Horror anthologies were really bad about it (which is probably due to using their already shoestring budgets on props and gore). One of the things 80s cinema did better than decades before and since is make the world feel full. When Tootsie or Splash or Ghostbusters or Superman cast members walk through NYC, it's chock full o' people.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I imagine it's just for the promo.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

And now we get a little David Tennant action. Sort of.

evilmike

evilmike

File this one under "probably not up for long"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Still up 5hrs later.
Very cinematic.

--Patrick

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

http://www.therealstanlee.com/the-w...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

There's a chance that Iron Fist might not happen due to a creative dispute between Marvel and Netflix. God please let Iron Fist happen. You can't have Luke Cage without his buddy.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

http://www.therealstanlee.com/the-w...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

There's a chance that Iron Fist might not happen due to a creative dispute between Marvel and Netflix. God please let Iron Fist happen. You can't have Luke Cage without his buddy.
Oh god, I hope that Iron Fist still happens.

fade

fade

You guys had to bring religion into it.

evilmike

evilmike

From a Comicbook.Com interview with Mike Colter about playing Luke Cage:

Sweet Christmas...

Tress

Tress

Hearing him say it is the first time it did not seem cheesy to me. That's perfect.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ahh. Good. I support this idea.
It could even lead to more mystical Marvel monkeyshines.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Gryfter

Gryfter

Try this one.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh yeah. I am so ready for this show to hit Netflix.

evilmike

evilmike

Yet another trailer:

Celt Z

Celt Z

SOOOOOOOOON

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Jessica Jones

So I'm only one episode in so far and...holy shit.

I think Killgrave just earned himself the top spot for biggest villain in the MCU. Like, we've had some evil, vile, cruel villains, but holy shit.

Covar

Covar

It doesn't strike me as a hard thing to accomplish. Most the movie villains are pretty tame or directly after the heroes. Purple Man has always been far more horrifying than people give him credit for.

I'm watching this tonight. I'm curious to see what I think, as I've never read Alias, am burnt out on Bendis, and find no real value in the character or how he writes Luke Cage.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Jessica Jones

Three Eps in and it's the bomb! As good as and maybe a little better than DD.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yeah, the ending of that first episode was definitely a "holy shit!" moment.

What makes Purple Man such a creepy villain is he deliberately chooses regular people to exploit. Your typical Silver Age villain targets banks, jewelry stores, and research labs. They're after money and artifacts. When Stilt-Man holds up an armored car, the security guards and any bystanders are just unfortunate collateral damage. Other villains are laser-focused on the superheroes. When the Sinister Six try to kill Spider-Man, any civilian casualties are unintentional or a tool with which to manipulate Spidey (ie. dangling a streetcar full of children from the Brooklyn Bridge).

Purple Man vets his targets. He chooses them because they can best fulfill his immediate and future needs. He knows he'll do anything from mildly inconveniencing them to ruining their lives but he doesn't care. While he does go after superheroes, the majority of his victims are people we could know. The college freshman away from home for the first time, the youngish maitre d' at a restaurant, the paramedic. What's REALLY creepy if he can be capable of small acts of kindness. He knows how to be decent but intentionally chooses not to be.

Edit: I just about squeed when Luke Cage said "Sweet Christmas."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This is a spoiler for I think the second or third episode (binge watching means they start to run together), but I'd really like to know what his game was...

Allowing the guy to live, but stuck living off machines the rest of his life. What's his end goal there? Yeah, the kid saved his life by giving him both kidneys and such, but why let him remain alive? Why splurge for the big, fancy, life-saving machine? That seems above Killgrave.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

It could just be a "pet the dog" moment.

Gryfter

Gryfter

This is a spoiler for I think the second or third episode (binge watching means they start to run together), but I'd really like to know what his game was...

Allowing the guy to live, but stuck living off machines the rest of his life. What's his end goal there? Yeah, the kid saved his life by giving him both kidneys and such, but why let him remain alive? Why splurge for the big, fancy, life-saving machine? That seems above Killgrave.
Well, given the extreme mothering the poor guy was subjected too and the fact that he requested Jess kill him.... I kinda think Killgrave wasn't doing any favors letting him live. Plus, it was breadcrumbs for her to follow so... yeah I think it's right up his alley.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, given the extreme mothering the poor guy was subjected too and the fact that he requested Jess kill him.... I kinda think Killgrave wasn't doing any favors letting him live. Plus, it was breadcrumbs for her to follow so... yeah I think it's right up his alley.
Riiiiight, he's toying with Jones by leaving it all behind for her to find, too. And it's especially cruel (and amusing to him) to leave the kid behind for the mother to dote over him. Yeah, you're right. That is right up his alley.

This guy really is a sick fuck.

Frank

Frank

He's an exceptionally well done villain. The living embodiment of someone who's gone their lives without anyone ever being able to say no.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Never thought I'd say this, but David Tennant is freaking me out way more than Vincent D'Ofnofrio. (And I've since Tennant in some weird roles, but...dang.)

Nice twist at the end of episode 4!

Necronic

Necronic

it wasn't kill grave that bought the dialysis machine it was the professor. Dude probably felt terrible for performing the surgery

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

it wasn't kill grave that bought the dialysis machine it was the professor. Dude probably felt terrible for performing the surgery
Ah, whoops, I must've missed that. I was chatting with a friend while the episode played. Thanks.

Frank

Frank

Just binged it. Really hard.

Loved it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Just finished watching it. Yeah, that was pretty great. Slow in parts, but there were many more interesting side characters here than in Daredevil. I'd say it's about equal with Daredevil in terms of quality, though. For different reasons, though. Everything about the overall plot was much more personal and you're rooting for Jessica at every turn. The show focuses more on the investigative than the action. Most episodes of Daredevil ended with a big fight scene. This show didn't. It was more about the guttural, horrible things that Kilgrave would do. And cripes, he just kept topping himself in sadism.

I'll put the rest behind spoilers.
The final showdown was a LITTLE disappointing in terms of what Kilgrave set up. For someone who had so much more power, we didn't really see him use it. He could've easily done what he did on the docks as he did throughout the rest of the show. We saw him silence a whole restaurant once and a police station. This wasn't too far above it. Still great emotional beats, especially once Trish got involved with Kilgrave. And after ALL the build up, that was one necksnap in a comic book adaption that was very, VERY satisfying. And appropriate for the character because it'd been built up so much.

I did like the touches they gave Kilgrave any time he made an appearance. The colour purple was everywhere, like when the whole set was bathed in purple in the night club. Or the walls painted a hint of purple. It's such a unique, distinct colour that's used rarely in film that it really stood out all the more. Great stuff.

REALLY didn't expect Nuke to show up. That's the "Gimme a red" guy. Assuming they adapt a major story from Daredevil sometime in the future, expect to see him again. I like that we got to know this guy very well before he turned heel. You felt bad for the way he turned out because you knew it wasn't him, but the drugs screwing with his brain. My jaw dropped when he shot the detective.

I love how the Night Nurse is turning into the Nick Fury of these shows. I kinda hope her and Malcolm set up shop together somewhere in the city. Those two had pretty good chemistry.

Also, I think it'd be hilarious if...

They got Matt Smith to play the villain for the next season.

Bowielee

Bowielee

One episode in and I'm hooked.

Fun Size

Fun Size

My wife isn't much into superhero stuff, and skipped Daredevil, but I suggested based on the quality of that that she watch the first episode of this with me. It ended, and she said "Well, that was unpleasant." When I said I'd watch the rest by myself, she corrected me. "I didn't say it wasn't good. Just unpleasant."

I'm only two in, but this is good enough to make me want to watch DD again.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

On episode 8 right now. I'm just a tad disappointed that Purple Man's first name isn't Zebediah. He's like the Tenth Doctor's evil twin. "I want CAKE!"

Celt Z

Celt Z

Just finished Jessica Jones...oh man, I loved that. I'll spoiler the rest.

It wasn't always as gory as Daredevil, but it had me on the edge of my seat so many times. I feel like the stakes were more intense because they were on a smaller, more personal scale. Don't get me wrong: I still love DD, but you knew at some point he was going to stop Kingpin/Fisk. You never knew who Kilgrave was going to sacrifice. In the final episode, I was honestly worried Kilgrave had gotten to Malcolm again when he offered to sit with Luke. Not that they were going to kill Luke Cage, but I just didn't want Malcolm to be abused anymore. LOVED the appearance of Claire, and for a second, I was really hoping Matt Murdock was going to be representing Jessica. I loved the mention of White Tiger, too.

So, do we know who Kozlov is? I didn't recognize the name.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm just starting episode 8. Goddamn this show is better than I ever thought it could be. I'm LOVING Luke Cage.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I finished the series last night. I shouldn't have rushed it because now I have to wait until next year for season 2 of Daredevil...

Frank

Frank

Jessica Jones has relatively good taste in booze for a full blown alcoholic.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/is-it-still-ladies-night

Celt Z

Celt Z

"Later she necks and [sic] Amstel Light, because Kilgrave is a fucking monster.":rofl:

Bowielee

Bowielee

Finished Jessica Jones.

Short, non spoiler version, I loved it from start to finish. Tenant was perfect as the Purple Man. Luke Cage was great. Would it have killed them to have him wear a yellow shirt at least once? Dude has the most adaptation friendly costume and no yellow shirt?

Now for spoilers:

Yo. DC! Look, a character with super powers who snaps the main villain's neck without it being pointless and stupid.

I loved the twists and turns to the point where you have no idea what Killgrave will do. They made his motivations realistic, but made his past a reason how he is, but not an excuse. The side characters were interesting and engaging.

Overall, a total win for marvel.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Finished Jessica Jones.

Short, non spoiler version, I loved it from start to finish. Tenant was perfect as the Purple Man. Luke Cage was great. Would it have killed them to have him wear a yellow shirt at least once? Dude has the most adaptation friendly costume and no yellow shirt?

Now for spoilers:

Yo. DC! Look, a character with super powers who snaps the main villain's neck without it being pointless and stupid.

I loved the twists and turns to the point where you have no idea what Killgrave will do. They made his motivations realistic, but made his past a reason how he is, but not an excuse. The side characters were interesting and engaging.

Overall, a total win for marvel.

I haven't seen it yet and I didn't read your spoiler. I did read that he wore a yellow shirt once, though.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Finished it, was awesome all the way through. Another fine example of Marvel knocking it out of the park. Jessica really shines in the whole piece and the casting was perfect. Really love the inclusion of Trish "Patsy" Walker and hope this gets a second season so we can bring on the Hellcat. For now, I await more Daredevil and then Luke Cage.[DOUBLEPOST=1448746496,1448746456][/DOUBLEPOST]
I haven't seen it yet and I didn't read your spoiler. I did read that he wore a yellow shirt once, though.

Yup, that's what he is wearing the first time we see Luke.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm hoping against hope that there's one scene in the Luke Cage series where he's looking through his parents' storage unit. As he sorts through the clothing, he picks up a yellow disco shirt, thoughtfully examines it, and brings it home. Someone else finds it later that episode and he nervously explains it's just for a Halloween costume.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Finished it, was awesome all the way through. Another fine example of Marvel knocking it out of the park. Jessica really shines in the whole piece and the casting was perfect. Really love the inclusion of Trish "Patsy" Walker and hope this gets a second season so we can bring on the Hellcat. For now, I await more Daredevil and then Luke Cage.[DOUBLEPOST=1448746496,1448746456][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yup, that's what he is wearing the first time we see Luke.
Yeah, for about 5 seconds before we even know who he is :p

Fun Size

Fun Size

My wife one week ago: I'll watch Jessica Jones with you, but I'm really not into it.

My wife yesterday: watched an episode without me while working out and gave me a dirty look for potential spoilers when I mentioned to my daughter that she and Luke Cage have a kid in the comics.

Dei

Dei

Finally got around to starting Jessica Jones last night.

Well, my sleep schedule is completely bolloxed now.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

They just released new images for Daredevil season 2. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/28/daredevil-season-2-punisher

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wonder what the wrench is for.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Tightening nuts?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Tightening nuts?
I was assuming it was part of how DD was trapped, hadn't thought of it being a bludgeon.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just finished Jessica Jones tonight. Echoing everyone else, it was fantastic. Maybe because the stakes were on such a personal scale, I was edge of my seat. This felt way more intense than anything else from Marvel. Really hope we get a season 2.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Really hope we get a season 2.
"Hmm, this goose seems to be laying golden eggs. Should we keep it?"
"Nah, one's plenty"

Said no-one, ever.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

"Hmm, this goose seems to be laying golden eggs. Should we keep it?"
"Nah, one's plenty"

Said no-one, ever.
I can think of multiple examples, at least in the video game industry :p.

But for Netflix, I wonder how they determine a show's success. I guess by how many people watched the whole thing? But that seems like something most subscribers would do if they're binging. Netflix certainly has better ways of tracking data than more classic TV companies who don't take into account numbers of viewers from their own online at times. I just wonder how they figure. Have there been Netflix duds that haven't been renewed?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I can think of multiple examples, at least in the video game industry :p.

But for Netflix, I wonder how they determine a show's success. I guess by how many people watched the whole thing? But that seems like something most subscribers would do if they're binging. Netflix certainly has better ways of tracking data than more classic TV companies who don't take into account numbers of viewers from their own online at times. I just wonder how they figure. Have there been Netflix duds that haven't been renewed?
I've often wondered this myself. Does netflix consider a show that is merely watched by a lot of users to be successful? Or does it need to meet some other metric? Do they track how long you search for something before you pick that show? Do they track new users who immediately go to a certain show to watch? It makes for an interesting thought exercise.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I've often wondered this myself. Does netflix consider a show that is merely watched by a lot of users to be successful? Or does it need to meet some other metric? Do they track how long you search for something before you pick that show? Do they track new users who immediately go to a certain show to watch? It makes for an interesting thought exercise.
They tend to watch genre shifts over time... if they find a lot of people watching certain series within a genre, that is when they start to consider producing new shows. It's why they did Hemlock Grove: Supernatural horror/mysteries like Supernatural and Vampire Diares were the rage and people were bingeing on Angel, Buffy, and X-Files. Turns out those shows cost basically nothing to make.

Covar

Covar

They tend to watch genre shifts over time... if they find a lot of people watching certain series within a genre, that is when they start to consider producing new shows. It's why they did Hemlock Grove: Supernatural horror/mysteries like Supernatural and Vampire Diares were the rage and people were bingeing on Angel, Buffy, and X-Files. Turns out those shows cost basically nothing to make.
Pretty much this. From what I've heard/gathered Netflix looks at how well a show can hit the desired specific demographic. Which is why they did the Adam Sandler deal. They're not concerned with it bombing with Critics or House of Cards fans, as long as the people watching those kinds of crappy movies see it and keep their membership going.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I have to wonder, then, where Orange is the New Black came around. Because as far as I know, there aren't really any other shows like it.

Covar

Covar

It's your House of Cards, Breaking Bad, HBO audience.

fade

fade

It was also a super popular book, which is probably what got Netflix's attention.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Having had a night to process, some more spoilery thoughts on Jessica Jones.

I was happy not to see any "Marvel universe intrusion time!" episodes like ep 7 of Daredevil. Claire's presence didn't feel like it cut in, it felt like part of the story. I was worried about that, because there were so many opportunities to throw in a "Marvel big picture" thing, but that didn't happen.

I don't think I've ever felt such relief at a villain's death. I've been happy at a villain's death, but not this sense of "I'm so glad that's finally over." What a miserable scum pile. Even at the end, he couldn't help himself, he was so obsessed with the idea of Jessica loving him, when anyone under his control is only him loving himself. But he couldn't comprehend that, like he couldn't comprehend that he'd raped her, like he couldn't understand that restoring her old home was not a gift but a violation even into her own happy memories, now tainted by him. Pre-Kilgrave Jessica has Kilgrave in her too, because of him.

Really it was a fantastic portrayal of that type of person, mind control or not, and his mind control only made him scarier. From episode 1, this show was intense and it might be my favorite thing Marvel has done.

In fact, as relieved as I was at Kilgrave's death, I'm sad that the season is over and there isn't any more to watch. I loved the ending shot. Jessica's given up on helping, but there's such a flood of people needing her. The slow camera withdrawal with the jazzy music brought it back to the noir kind of feel that the show seemed to be going for before it got into the main plot.

I'm eager for more of this. If season 2 is so certain, I hope it's before the end of 2016.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's your House of Cards, Breaking Bad, HBO audience.
Ah, that's true. And I realized after I'd written it that the same creator also did the pretty popular Weeds show.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm eager for more of this. If season 2 is so certain, I hope it's before the end of 2016.
And I hope there's a Stan Lee cameo this time around for both series. I know he didn't have anything to do with Jessica Jones' creation, but it would still be nice.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And I hope there's a Stan Lee cameo this time around for both series. I know he didn't have anything to do with Jessica Jones' creation, but it would still be nice.
A Stan Lee cameo in Jessica Jones would've been distracting.

Besides, guy's in his 90s. Having him appear in the pile of movies is probably enough on him as it is.

Necronic

Necronic

Jessica Jones has relatively good taste in booze for a full blown alcoholic.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/is-it-still-ladies-night

Dude a lot of that stuff is exactly the kind of thing you would expect an alcoholic to drink. Cutty Sark and Teachers for instance.[DOUBLEPOST=1452118895,1452118779][/DOUBLEPOST]Also Old Grandad is the drink of choice in Bad Santa.

Frank

Frank

Dude a lot of that stuff is exactly the kind of thing you would expect an alcoholic to drink. Cutty Sark and Teachers for instance.[DOUBLEPOST=1452118895,1452118779][/DOUBLEPOST]Also Old Grandad is the drink of choice in Bad Santa.
Mostly talking about Windsor and the Manhattan.

Windsor isn"t expensive but it's better than 99%of cheap whiskey.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gagh, fucking Old Grandad. That stuff is for degreasing engines.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Gagh, fucking Old Grandad. That stuff is for degreasing engines.
And for refining new George Thorogood lyrics.

--Patrick

Gryfter

Gryfter

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

March 18 is during spring break here, so I'll binge it. :)

Celt Z

Celt Z

My feelings on this are going to largely depend on how he's depicted in DD Season 2. But based on just the comic book version of the Punisher? Bleah.

C'mon Netflix. Shock me. Make the Punisher more than a waste of space.

Covar

Covar

My feelings on this are going to largely depend on how he's depicted in DD Season 2. But based on just the comic book version of the Punisher? Bleah.

C'mon Netflix. Shock me. Make the Punisher more than a waste of space.
If they adapt the Greg Rucka run I think they could get a good season long story out of him.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

C'mon Netflix. Shock me.
So you want...

No, no, wait... wrong one.

Celt Z

Celt Z

So you want...

No, no, wait... wrong one.

I think Fox owns the rights to both of those.:p

evilmike

evilmike

Jessica Jones renewed for season 2 (via Entertainment Weekly)

Showrunner Melissa Rosenberg is returning for the 13-episode second season. No premiere date has been announced.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh yeah. Bring it on. This comes out the same weekend as Superman/Batman. Guess which one I'm choosing. :p

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Sounds like they've really nailed Castle's attitude, too.

"You're one bad day away from being me."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

In 10 seconds, Elodie Yung looks and sounds more convincing as Elektra than Jennifer Garner ever did.

This season can't come soon enough.

Dave

Dave

March 18 is a Friday and for that I'm glad. I'm going to be very tired Saturday and Sunday from staying up bingeing the show.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

And we now have our Danny Rand

Gryfter

Gryfter

That could work.... Netflix has done a good job casting so far so I am sure he will be fine.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fox pulls Gambit from line-up, no longer has a release date.

I'm betting they are doing heavy script rewrites to hit a hard R after the success of Deadpool. Gambit could probably use the higher rating.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm betting they are doing heavy script rewrites to hit a hard R after the success of Deadpool. Gambit could probably use the higher rating.
I'd like to agree, but man that movie has hit so many road bumps I wonder if it's just going to get canned.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'd like to agree, but man that movie has hit so many road bumps I wonder if it's just going to get canned.
Possibly that too.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Thought #1: And nothing of value was lost.
Thought #2: Shouldn't this go in the Movie News thread? This has nothing to do with the Marvel/Netflix shows.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Thought #1: And nothing of value was lost.
Thought #2: Shouldn't this go in the Movie News thread? This has nothing to do with the Marvel/Netflix shows.
Yeah, you're right. I'm just completely exhausted and posted it in the wrong thread. *shrug*

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, you're right. I'm just completely exhausted and posted it in the wrong thread. *shrug*
It happens. No worries, man.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

So people are whining that Danny Rand shouldn't have been a white guy.

Even though the character is a white guy.

Apparently he should have been cast as an Asian-American, because reasons. The reasons basically sounding like they could all be prefaced with "I'm not a racist, but..."

MindDetective

MindDetective

So people are whining that Danny Rand shouldn't have been a white guy.

Even though the character is a white guy.

Apparently he should have been cast as an Asian-American, because reasons. The reasons basically sounding like they could all be prefaced with "I'm not a racist, but..."
Well, I think it was io9 that suggested it was initially racist in the comics in the first place (white guy discovers culture, learns secrets better than the natives) and this was a chance to undo that. Additionally, they made the point that his being white doesn't really matter to his story at all, so he could be any ethnicity and it would be virtually the same. I don't know enough about the character to say otherwise. I certainly don't feel any ownership over Iron Fist's ethnicity.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Well, I think it was io9 that suggested it was initially racist in the comics in the first place (white guy discovers culture, learns secrets better than the natives) and this was a chance to undo that. Additionally, they made the point that his being white doesn't really matter to his story at all, so he could be any ethnicity and it would be virtually the same. I don't know enough about the character to say otherwise. I certainly don't feel any ownership over Iron Fist's ethnicity.
Except it completely changes the dynamic of the Luke Cage/Iron Fist friendship and the social implications of it from the period in which it was forged (the early 70's). There would be no underlying commentary about how it was possible for white and black people to simply get a long instead of constantly trying to undermine each other if Iron Fist wasn't himself white. It would be a completely different dynamic; that of two minority heroes bonding and working together in a world where they were both constantly being shit on. That's a fine story, but it's also not the story of Heroes for Hire.

Oddly enough, it almost feels like Iron Fist being white actually works BETTER today because of how mainstream martial arts are in our day and age. It's available to everyone, where as in the 70's it was still kind of closed off to a lot of people for racial reasons. Back then it was just a blatant race-lift fantasy, but these days it's basically mundane.

So I guess the issue really is which do you think is more important: a story of interracial harmony in a time when it's sorely needed or making up for some blatant racist shit from the 70's. Both are good causes but we really only get to do anything about one of them.

evilmike

evilmike

PatrThom

PatrThom

his being white doesn't really matter to his story at all, so he could be any ethnicity and it would be virtually the same.
I think they already made a movie where they played with mixing up the ethnicity angle.

(no I haven't seen it yet, at least not all of it)

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Mike Colter has announced the release date for Luke Cage -- September 30th. (CBR)

That Hashtag show is reporting more casting rumors for Iron Fist, including Colleen Wing, and the Steel Serpent.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Steel Serpent's insignia showed up in season 1 of Daredevil, so him making an appearance would make sense.

evilmike

evilmike

New Daredevil trailer

Also:

evilmike

evilmike

First look at Diamondback from Luke Cage:

For reference (from the Marvel Wiki)

GasBandit

GasBandit

That helmet looks ridiculous. I mean, I can understand not going with the... snakescale weave whatever jumpsuit... but that helmet looks like a small child fashioned it out of things he found around the kitchen.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That helmet looks ridiculous. I mean, I can understand not going with the... snakescale weave whatever jumpsuit... but that helmet looks like a small child fashioned it out of things he found around the kitchen.

Bad Robocop cosplay

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Honestly, just lose the helmet and it looks like a solid translation of his comics costume.

evilmike

evilmike

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

New Luke Cage trailer.

Also, there was a quick Defenders teaser, show is slated for 2017.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Here's some YouTube trailers for all THREE: Luke Cage, Defenders, AND Iron Fist! :eek:

Defenders

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

PatrThom

PatrThom

Iron Fist
Plane crash?
iPod from 2004?
Insane asylum?
Fake beard is fake, but ok I'm willing to give it a shot.

Luke Cage
Hoping this doesn't turn out to be "Hancock: The TV Series," and also hoping it doesn't become a place for up-and-coming artists to show off their new mixtapes. More interested in this one than Iron Fist, honestly. I don't know, maybe it's because it's more relateable? Less challenging to write?

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

We really barely saw anything of any of those three shows. Luke Cage was the most, but is was mainly just the one scene.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Iron Fist
Plane crash?
iPod from 2004?
Insane asylum?
Fake beard is fake, but ok I'm willing to give it a shot.

Luke Cage
Hoping this doesn't turn out to be "Hancock: The TV Series," and also hoping it doesn't become a place for up-and-coming artists to show off their new mixtapes. More interested in this one than Iron Fist, honestly. I don't know, maybe it's because it's more relateable? Less challenging to write?

--Patrick

Iron Fist's origin is getting lost in the mountains as a child and being picked up/trained by monks after his parents die out in the wilderness. Considering his power comes from a magic hidden city and the molten heart of a dragon, people thinking he came back bonkers isn't too far-fetched.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I know my female friends are all excited for Luke Cage. Can't imagine why...

Celt Z

Celt Z

I know my female friends are all excited for Luke Cage. Can't imagine why...
Not a clue.....:D

PatrThom

PatrThom

Iron Fist's origin is getting lost in the mountains as a child and being picked up/trained by monks after his parents die out in the wilderness. Considering his power comes from a magic hidden city and the molten heart of a dragon, people thinking he came back bonkers isn't too far-fetched.
I just wondered if they were trying to link it to an actual historical plane crash, but I couldn't find anything from 2004-2006 "in the mountains"-enough to qualify.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Marvel and SDCC. They hype is real.

Jesus, Netflix is killing it!

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Nailed it, and from an FX perspective, depending on what they intend to do, his series besides the Defenders (Doctor Strange cameo at least!!!) ought to be the most expensive.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oh Sweet Christmas, yes.

Frank

Frank

I love that Rosario Dawson is the connective tissue between the series. Mostly because I love Rosario Dawson.

Covar

Covar

Oh Sweet Christmas, yes.

I haven't watched this, but I kind of hope that Luke Cage and Iron Fist aren't the super dour affairs that are Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Dave

Dave

I liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I haven't watched this, but I kind of hope that Luke Cage and Iron Fist aren't the super dour affairs that are Daredevil and Jessica Jones.
Honestly, I don't mind it for those characters. It fits perfectly for Jessica Jones, and Daredevil is a flexible enough character for a darker mood to work.

I think the tone is fine for these street level characters.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I like how they included the tiara and wristbands

Covar

Covar

I liked Daredevil and Jessica Jones.
I liked Daredevil, and the tone fits that kind of show. I just don't want that for Power Man and Iron Fist, especially with a Punisher series coming in a couple of years.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I like how they included the tiara and wristbands
Yeah, that was a great little callback.

I liked Daredevil, and the tone fits that kind of show. I just don't want that for Power Man and Iron Fist, especially with a Punisher series coming in a couple of years.
The trailer feels somewhat serious, but not in the same vein as Jones and Daredevil did. This one feels much more hero-y in Cage's origin and what/who he's protecting, as opposed to Jones focusing on saving herself and Daredevil's dealing with Kingpin/The Hand/etc.

Kovac

Kovac

While Jessica Jones was very dark it still felt very different from Daredevil.

If they can take Luke Cage in yet another direction i'm going to be very happy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's a difference between "dark" and "noir." I'd say Jessica Jones was very noir.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

So does the entire show happen pre-Jessica Jones? Because with the news crew, it feels like Luke Cage would be a known deal already if that was the case.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Pretty sure his first appearance is in Jessica Jones so his show should be post that...

Celt Z

Celt Z

It looks like it may wrap around the events in Jessica Jones, if they're showing him both discovering his powers but already knowing Claire.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It looks like it may wrap around the events in Jessica Jones, if they're showing him both discovering his powers but already knowing Claire.
Yeah, that too. Marvel is too good about continuity to just ignore that kind of stuff and I'm sure if Claire had met a guy with unbreakable skin before, she'd remember.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Gryfter

Gryfter

That is cool.... but on yet another streaming service.... sadly one I don't subscribe too.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Same; that's great and all, but I'll have to miss it.

Dave

Dave

Hulu can suck it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Comcast/Fox/Disney's streaming service can suck it.
FTFY

I doubt I'll be able to catch the show, but I'm really diggin' the cinematography.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Don't know who runs Hulu. Just know that they suck. My daughter's boyfriend subscribes so I've watched it a few times. Commercials for a pay service? Really?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Don't know who runs Hulu. Just know that they suck. My daughter's boyfriend subscribes so I've watched it a few times. Commercials for a pay service? Really?
Over the last few years, some of the networks (NBC, Fox, ABC) have been increasing their stake in Hulu, presumably so they can exert more influence over it. As a result, the free service died (spun off to Yahoo!, which has been bought by Verizon), and they're going to be adding live streaming programming (i.e., "cable") next year.
So yeah, in other words, instead of being any kind of competition with the established networks, it has been assimilated by them.

--Patrick

Covar

Covar

Over the last few years, some of the networks (NBC, Fox, ABC) have been increasing their stake in Hulu, presumably so they can exert more influence over it. As a result, the free service died (spun off to Yahoo!, which has been bought by Verizon), and they're going to be adding live streaming programming (i.e., "cable") next year.
So yeah, in other words, instead of being any kind of competition with the established networks, it has been assimilated by them.

--Patrick
NBC is a silent partner because of the purchase by Comcast. It's hard to say that they were ever going to be competition to the established networks since they were founded and owned by them from the beginning.

It's what sucks the most about cable.

fade

fade

I mean, there are commercials on cable, and cable costs a lot more.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah, it's pretty clear that what anyone who says, "If you subscribe to our paid service, you won't see any ads!" really means is "...you'll see less ads!" Websites, television, radio, whatever.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah, it's pretty clear that what anyone who says, "If you subscribe to our paid service, you won't see any ads!" really means is "...you'll see less ads!" Websites, television, radio, whatever.

--Patrick
Even Pornhub Premium still has crappy "Now! Free! Near you!" ads alongside their videos.

...I've been told.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

This is how I must sound to younger comic book fans who are excited about Luke Cage. I remember when he had to get fun-KAY.

Dave

Dave

I mean, there are commercials on cable, and cable costs a lot more.
Ask me if I still have cable. Go on. Ask!

no

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ask me if I still have cable. Go on. Ask!

no
So, you still got cable, man?

Dave

Dave

no

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix.

No ads.

Hulu is bullshit.

fade

fade

I pay for all three, and it's still a drop in the bucket compared to even basic cable.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

It's $11.99 per month for Hulu with no commercials. I like Hulu because they have current episodes of some TV shows for a limited time. I think they come out the day after broadcast and they're available for about a month (I think Episode 1 disappears around the time Episode 6 shows up for most shows). Showing current TV is probably not cheap for Hulu, hence the commercials/added subscription cost for commercial-free.

Frank

Frank

Hulu isn't available for me. Instead each of our cable providers has decided to create their own streaming services. So I'm sure Runaways will be coming to Crave or Shomi or whateeeeeeeeeeeeever the fuck.

Covar

Covar

I pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix.

No ads.
Both show ads on ocassion. House ads for their shows, but that's still an ad.

Hulu losing the CW shows means I just lost about half of what I used it for. Fortunately for them Fox and ABC aren't available on Playstation Vue, so I'll be sticking with them for my sitcom fix.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hulu losing the CW shows means I just lost about half of what I used it for. Fortunately for them Fox and ABC aren't available on Playstation Vue, so I'll be sticking with them for my sitcom fix.
I've never gotten an ad on Netflix.

fade

fade

Playstation Vue is a really nice service---except it's not really a savings over cable.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've been using the Netflix streaming service almost daily for eight years and I've never seen a single ad. Amazon Prime, much less frequently, but never saw an ad there either.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I've been using the Netflix streaming service almost daily for eight years and I've never seen a single ad. Amazon Prime, much less frequently, but never saw an ad there either.
I've seen Netflix promo their own stuff twice, I think. Maybe about that on Amazon too.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I've seen Netflix promo their own stuff twice, I think. Maybe about that on Amazon too.
You've had Netflix commericals before or during something you went to watch on Netflix?

Covar

Covar

You've had Netflix commericals before or during something you went to watch on Netflix?
Always before. I got a GEICO ad last night on Amazon before the tick.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Not during, but before. It was a while ago, so they might have just been trying it out.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Maybe it's because I always watch on a video game console? I would just think with how much I've used the service over the years I'd have seen it at least once.

Covar

Covar

Maybe it's because I always watch on a video game console? I would just think with how much I've used the service over the years I'd have seen it at least once.
I'm pretty sure in Netflix's case there's some a/b testing going on. I watch on a ps3.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm rewatching Jessica Jones. You know what would be really cool? Every Marvel Netflix series should bring some of the supporting cast to the Defenders series. Foggy and Karen, Trish and Malcolm, and whoever is in Iron Fist and Luke Cage. The first time the Daredevil and Jessica Jones casts are brought together, I'd love to see Foggy glare at Trish for a few minutes while the heroes are having another philosophical discussion on superheroism. Then Foggy suddenly pipes up, "I knew I recognized you! I watched your show when I was a kid. 'It's Patsy! It's Patsy! Really wanna be your friend, hope this day will never end...'" and then you see Trish's neck tense up because she really hates that.

I figure that Foggy is the right age to have grown up watching It's Patsy. It would be fun to see Daredevil sing that theme song himself but I don't think Matt watched much TV as a kid.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I really wish I could stay home today. I've been so looking forward to Luke Cage.

But even then I know I'm not going to binge it in one day. I'll have finished by next weekend, sure, but I like to let these shows breathe, couple episodes a night.

Dave

Dave

Happy Luke Cage Day!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I like how Luke Cage has a blind buddy at a newsstand. Just like Shaft. Right on...

PatrThom

PatrThom

I like how Luke Cage has a blind buddy at a newsstand. Just like Shaft. Right on...
He may be blind, but he hears things.

--Patrick

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I just finished the fourth episode. It was a treat seeing him in his original outfit, complete with tiara and afro. This was my reaction.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I just finished the fourth episode. It was a treat seeing him in his original outfit, complete with tiara and afro. This was my reaction.

Haven't seen it yet. Don't care. So happy to know they did it.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Next to the last episode with Method Man from Wu Tang Clan. Not a huge fan of hip hop but damn that was excellent stuff.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Next to the last episode with Method Man from Wu Tang Clan. Not a huge fan of hip hop but damn that was excellent stuff.
Just about to finish that one up too. As usual I devoured another Netflix/Marvel series when I meant to make it last.

Dave

Dave

I'm on the last episode now. So...tired....

Dave

Dave

Just finished. Some spoilery thoughts:

• It's interesting how in this one all the bad guys (besides Cottenmouth) actually wins! The councilwoman & Shades (by the way, That Thing You Do is wanting its character back) are safe and making money and all the competition is pretty much dead.
  • Diamondback is not only still alive, but now he's going to have superpowers as well thanks to Dr. Frankenfuckup. It'll probably work on him, too, as they share the genetic component.
  • They are setting up the Defenders excellently. Claire is shown tearing the flyer for martial arts training (besides introducing Iron Fist, she really needs this considering the circles she runs in), she is also getting Luke a "good lawyer". Which means that three of the primaries will be together. I do like the way they are coming together through Claire. Makes it seem less forced and more organic.
  • Hammertech that works?!? That breaks canon!
  • The music was great! Very old-time blues mixed with some hip hop.

All in all I think I like the character of Luke Cage a lot. I like Daredevil the best (strike that - I like the Punisher the best!) but I like Luke much more than Jessica Jones. And although all three series were basically the same story, they felt different.

Only gripe I have is that in every story there are a bunch of crooked cops. Am I just that naive to think that this trope is way overused? It's one of the things I liked about Stranger Things. The cops were intelligent and careful. That was kinda rare in shows.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's one of the things I liked about Stranger Things. The cops were intelligent and careful. That was kinda rare in shows.
Yeah, but those were small town cops in the 80's. Had it been set in LA or NY, crooked cops would have probably been expected.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Really intended to let this breathe, but that's not how the weekend has gone.

I'd love to play some Overwatch today, but I predict my wife's going to have us binge through the last six episodes.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm about two-thirds of the way through, and waiting for Luke to call someone a jive turkey. Please? Just once?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I'm about two-thirds of the way through, and waiting for Luke to call someone a jive turkey. Please? Just once?
well, uh, it's 2016

N

Nebulous

Marvel has signed a deal with Netflix to produce 4 13-episode series on Netflix as well as a mini-series. The shows will be based around Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. The mini-series will be "The Defenders".

(via The Hollywood Reporter)
Luke Cage just came out, I need to watch it.

Frank

Frank

I've watched the first two, since I'm trying to cut down on the binging of shows. One thing, it's really gorgeously shot. Second thing, fuck I like the music, especially the acts Cottonmouth has playing in his club.

Dave

Dave

I've watched the first two, since I'm trying to cut down on the binging of shows. One thing, it's really gorgeously shot. Second thing, fuck I like the music, especially the acts Cottonmouth has playing in his club.
There's one I thought was kinda weird, but for the most part the music is amazing. And it's not usually a genre I dig, you dig?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Only gripe I have is that in every story there are a bunch of crooked cops. Am I just that naive to think that this trope is way overused? It's one of the things I liked about Stranger Things. The cops were intelligent and careful. That was kinda rare in shows.
Haven't watched the show yet, but: I think the problem is cops are just incredibly overused. I mean, it makes sense ,because they're the ones involved in crime and life-changing stories all that, but there's a lot of cop shows. And there's only so many ways to go. Incompetent cop or lazy cop - you know, fat, donut, probably doesn't really want to work. Super Cop - the main character of all those cop shows à la Mentalist or Castle or NCIS or ...- the Detective Who Solves All Crimes - it's hard to have one of these and not have them be the main character. Useless Cop - background, doesn't actually do anything, just stands around waiting for someone to point and say "arrest that guy". Crooked Cop - obviously, always useful as a story device, especially in Hero shows, as a way of explaining why our hero needs to Step Up and not just leave it to the cops.

Yes, crooked cop is overused in hero shows/dramas.... But if the cops are competent, there's usually the problem of why, exactly, we're supposed to be rooting for these usually over-violent vigilantes. Flash tries to balance it with superpowered villains, and having the main characters be cops - but even so it kinda struggles and doesn't really explain why they don't go through channels. Not every hero has super(powered) villains, though...And then it gets hard.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Finished it myself last night. Overall I was pleased, but...

Oh my god did Diamondback's "super suit" looked low rent as hell. It was like the part where Cage was in the yellow/blue with bracers and tiara, only played straight and on camera a lot longer. I realize they tried to make it look like his comic outfit, but it ended up looking like a onesie with a helmet they borrowed from the set of Starship Troopers. Literal. Pajamas. I know the series is extremely low budget and probably used what they had on blowing up buildings, but man, they needed some texture on those longjohns.

phil

phil

Oki doki. I finished the series last night. I really loved it, certainly on par with all the others.

The Good:
I felt like this was really well acted. I really enjoyed seeing some smaller details in a lot of the characters and the way they all carried themselves. The worst performance might have been Shades just because it was a little bit over the top but it still kind of fit. I still liked how he was doing the cool, collected and methodical approach vs cottonmouth's much more animated and explosive personality. Diamondback really felt like a power hungry psycho and honestly with his smile and crazy eyes I could see that actor playing The Joker and making it work. Misty Knight was really great and even her partner who's name escapes me right now seemed to have a good chemistry and routine down. Compare this to DareDevil where Foggy Nelson is just plain bad and this is for sure the best acted Marvelflix show.

The OK:
The escalation was pretty good for the first arch but the pacing of the 2nd half was a little slow. I like that it rampped a little slower than some of the other ones but once it reaches that peak it needs to really stay that way instead of hitting that hard reset for the 2nd arch like it did. It wasn't BAD but it could have been better. Especially

It took like...3 episodes to resolve the Judas bullet wound? Plus they had enough time to drive to fuckin' Georgia from NYC while he was bleeding out? So when the SWAT team is threatening him with similar bullets it just did NOT feel like a threat if he's able to have them in him for what felt like a week, you know?

THE BAD:
This part is mostly spoilery so I'll keep it hidden

Diamondback felt really underdeveloped as a villain despite their best efforts. I can tell they wanted to develop him because they had him give out his back story and everything but it still feels like a big leap to have them be half brothers and best friends to Willis going to jail and SOMEHOW becoming a major crime lord who can just steal HAMMER tech for funsies? I dunno I just feel like I'd have liked to see more. Fisk got an episode for himself, Purpleman I don't think got a whole episode but shit we got to meet his parents and stuff. Cottonmouth got at least half an episode. I feel like Diamondback could have gotten an episode to himself over say that episode where Luke is wondering around with the judas bullet in him doing nothing.

Overall I'm gonna say 7.5/10 Slow at parts, but good action, good music and good acting really set it apart from the pack.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Punisher s1 has started filming! Hype!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Finished it tonight. Really well-acted, enjoyed the characters. The pacing took a dip in the middle, but it picked itself up in the last few episodes.

Spoilery thoughts:

They tried their damnedest to make Diamondback a compelling character, but I missed Cottonmouth for the second half of the show. I felt the tension between him and Luke was more genuine because Cottonmouth acted like a person, while Diamondback felt more like a 2-dimensional crazy character.

That said, the fight between Luke and Diamondback was one of the better brawls in the MCU. Goofy outfit aside, that they were able to draw out the fight, make it feel like a big deal, get other characters involved without having them fighting too, get the setting into it, and so on, really made it one of the better fights between the movies and shows.

It was a bit of a bummer that the show ended on a down note, but at least we'll get Daredevil and Luke connected. I'm also not crazy about Luke with Claire; I was hoping he'd end up with Jessica like in the comics. We'll have to see. It could still happen. Hopefully Claire doesn't start falling for Danny in Iron Fist.

Consider the times of today and the location.

Oh, what was the music piece you found weird? Was it

the three guys going "stop and look and you have found love" where the lead singer kept breaking the notes, and they had three guys on instruments behind them? Because my wife and I figured Diamondback saying he liked that set sealed the deal for him being a villain :p

Dave

Dave

That was the one. All falsetto all the time. I was seriously looking for the woman singer.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That was the one. All falsetto all the time. I was seriously looking for the woman singer.
Texting today, I quoted the song to my wife as a joke. The reply:
"My day was going good until you sent that and reminded of that shitty song! NOW IT'S IN MY HEAD!!! WHY!!!!!!"

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

http://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2016/10/03/luke-cage-so-black.html?cid=facebook

Apparently some white commenters are upset that Luke Cage is an angry black man. I know the type (middle-class, painfully nervous, thinks racism is over). I can practically taste their pumpkin spice flavored tears.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

http://www.bet.com/celebrities/news/2016/10/03/luke-cage-so-black.html?cid=facebook

Apparently some white commenters are upset that Luke Cage is an angry black man. I know the type (middle-class, painfully nervous, thinks racism is over). I can practically taste their pumpkin spice flavored tears.
That one tweet makes a good point, the tears when Black Panther releases and has maybe like one non-black person in it will flood theaters.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

(middle-class, painfully nervous, thinks racism is over).
Yeah, those are the worst types of racists.

They think contemporary black heroes should say "Jive turkey" and wear Afros, use coded language toward national anthem performances like "funkified", post memes laughing at starving poor black children being maimed by land mines, calls ethnicities "boat people" casually, and thinks any phone call with broken "Engrish" is a scam.

Those racists are pretty bad.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'd also like to see a Spider-Man costume with webpits too, as an homage to the original. Funkified is just a term that encapsulates all the overlong and pretentious attempts to sing the national anthem with a unique spin. Third World Success is a funny meme, just like First World Problems. "Boat people" is a term employed by anthropologists and historians, and I'm a historian by profession. And when you get an unsolicited phone call from a Pakistani speaking in choppy English, chances are he's going to claim to be an IRS agent extorting Target gift cards from you.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Iron Fist is confirmed for a 3/17/17 release date.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fuuuuuck these tweets.

"Lack of white people in Luke Cage makes me uncomfortable. This show is racist, how is this on Netflix???"

Doesn't sound like Netflix is the racist one if the lack of white people makes you "uncomfortable." This would only be an issue if you looked at the main cast and thought "other." Ridiculous.

"Is it me or the new Netflix. Luke Cage a little racist. Notice it's mostly black where is the diversity."

-_-

"im not racist but :/ why is luke cage so political :/ why do they talk about being black all the time :/ where are the white characters :/"

Why is "I'm not racist but" always followed by something racist? Why can't it be "I'm not racist, but I've got a comfy couch."?

I felt the social issues were handled with great care on Luke Cage. Subtle, no, but it wasn't trying to be and it didn't have to be because it was core to what was happening in the show. There was an episode of Supergirl where they paid lip service to some of the police/community problems, and it felt exploitive rather than actually delving into what was going on. Luke Cage wanted to be about these issues. Even when the protagonist is a likable hero you'd think anyone could get behind, there are people for whom it's impossible to wriggle outside of their box. I'm sure everyone on here feels the same as me--there was never a point while watching the show where I felt alienated as a viewer.

Iron Fist is confirmed for a 3/17/17 release date.
From this I estimate The Defenders will be around late September, early October.

Tress

Tress

Yeah, those are the worst types of racists.

They think contemporary black heroes should say "Jive turkey" and wear Afros, use coded language toward national anthem performances like "funkified", post memes laughing at starving poor black children being maimed by land mines, calls ethnicities "boat people" casually, and thinks any phone call with broken "Engrish" is a scam.

Those racists are pretty bad.
Yup. They're right up there with self-righteous white assholes who try to crusade for every perceived social cause without really having the intellectual capacity to understand the actual issues. Of course, those guys usually don't even understand how obnoxious and unhelpful they are, which is the really sad part.

Dave

Dave

A show set in Harlem about a black superhero is racist? The fuck? Should we all be surprised at how articulate they are? :rolleyes:

And I could see him saying jive turkey and having an afro if the show were set in the 1970's. But since it isn't that would make no sense.

I thought the show was extremely well done.

Oh, and Shades is one of my favorite characters. Dude's a survivor full stop.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Eh, people complained Agent Carter was sexist/overly feminist and too on-the-nose about feminist issues, too. As if those wouldn't be important in a show featuring male heroine in the 40s.

For some the norm is still a white male, and any deviation is weird or strange. This will change in time.

Denbrought

Denbrought

What are they even talking about, anyway? There's plenty of white characters. I sat down to watch 2 episodes with my wife, and I can remember at least 5 with lines.

The show's plot is great, and so are the actors. My only issue with is that all the conflict choreography feel off. Like they couldn't decide what style they wanted, and it ends up just falling flat. Thankfully there isn't that much of it, and the dialog more than makes up for it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What are they even talking about, anyway? There's plenty of white characters. I sat down to watch 2 episodes with my wife, and I can remember at least 5 with lines.

The show's plot is great, and so are the actors. My only issue with is that all the conflict choreography feel off. Like they couldn't decide what style they wanted, and it ends up just falling flat. Thankfully there isn't that much of it, and the dialog more than makes up for it.
I think the fights are fine, they just seem less choreographed than something like Daredevil because Luke Cage isn't a martial artist, he's a brawler.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I think the fights are fine, they just seem less choreographed than something like Daredevil because Luke Cage isn't a martial artist, he's a brawler.
It's hard to make someone look amateur on-screen, I don't think they made it. I haven't watched Daredevil (or any other Netflix superhero show) so I don't have that frame of reference, unfortunately.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, the fights were very different. Daredevil's choreography was frickin amazing. Luke Cage had a lot of... I dunno, grabbing people and throwing them into walls/ceilings. The Jessica Jones scenes were... somewhere inbetween?[DOUBLEPOST=1475601505,1475601360][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, also, I liked how they started lampshading how corny the "always" arc words were by the end of the season.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Compared to the MCU movie fights, I prefer how their Netflix and TV properties choreograph fights so you can actually see what's going on. They don't do 20 cuts per frame. The shaky cam was my main gripe with Winter Soldier and Civil War.

Anyways, I noticed something at the end. It's when Claire is looking at the ad for martial arts classes. The instructor is Colleen Wing, who is one of Iron Fist's love interests.

PS - Not many good things happen to Turk Barrett.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I finished the series last night, and like the previous ones, I loved it. I love that we have this darker niche in the Marvel Universe where things can get gritty but never hopeless, and it doesn't have to affect all of the Marvel properties where it'd be less effective *coughMurderversecough*. But speaking of which, a small thing bothered me about the ending, though not enough to take away from my over-all enjoyment:
The first black lead and his ending is he's carted off to jail while some of his villains go free? I know this series didn't shy away from the reality of the current tensions with the black community and law enforcement, and I'm glad they didn't, but it just kind of sucks that he has to go to jail, but both Daredevil and Jessica were able to completely stop their antagonists. Okay, maybe not Daredevil, but we didn't learn that until half-way through the second season.

But the complaints about Luke Cage baffle me, much like the ones about The Force Awakens leads: we have NO shortage of white, male leads in ANY genre. Is it really so hard for some people to see a story though eyes that aren't their own sometimes? Because the rest of us (i.e. not white males) have to do it ALL the f-ing time, and somehow that's acceptable. I'm glad they kept the casting the way they did in Luke Cage. It felt true to Harlem, it felt true to the character, and it needs to happen more often. Speaking of casting, I loved the cast (though it took a little while for us to stop seeing Cottonmouth as Remy from House of Cards), but Erik Laray Harvey did a great job creeping me out with that grinning zealotry. I pretty much always enjoy Alfre Woodard, and that scene
when she kills Cottonmouth was so emotionally charged, I had to stop and take a break. As someone who had been molested by a family member, and had to hear those accusations at one time, her reaction was so brilliantly cathartic. I've never wanted to kill anyone, but I knew that pain. It was raw and authentic.

Before I forget, how does one get to be Claire Temple? Because, damn, girl! I thought Coulson had the best part in the MCU (prior to The Avengers, anyway).

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Before I forget, how does one get to be Claire Temple? Because, damn, girl! I thought Coulson had the best part in the MCU (prior to The Avengers, anyway).
You just have to be Rosario Dawson and work decades of thankless roles in bad nerd-shit (sorry, Clerks 2), before everyone realizes you're one of the most-talented and hardest-working actresses alive

Celt Z

Celt Z

You just have to be Rosario Dawson and work decades of thankless roles in bad nerd-shit (sorry, Clerks 2), before everyone realizes you're one of the most-talented and hardest-working actresses alive
I meant that in the less literal sense, having been a long-time fan of Rosario Dawson. Claire is essentially the linchpin of the Netflix MCU (and gets the bonus of making out with both Matt and Luke) without being pigeonholed as the damsel in distress. She doesn't have any superpowers or SHIELD connections, and yet her own talent and ingenuity make her vital to all the "supers" running around. And she gets to be our "everyman" without being white or a man! ("Could such a thing exist? It would never work!":facepalm:) She is the unsung hero of the Netflix 'verse, and I was trying to point that out in a light-hearted way.

Covar

Covar

What's disappointing is the character is basically Night Nurse, was planned to be Night Nurse, but then they thought they might include Night Nurse in Doctor Strange, so they changed the character's name, then Night Nurse wound up not being in the screenplay, but Daredevil was already in production so it was to late to change back.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Yeah, we agree! I love her / the character.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Is it really so hard for some people to see a story though eyes that aren't their own sometimes? Because the rest of us (i.e. not white males) have to do it ALL the f-ing time, and somehow that's acceptable. I'm glad they kept the casting the way they did in Luke Cage. It felt true to Harlem, it felt true to the character, and it needs to happen more often.
You do realize a lot of the people 'complaining' are just taking the piss out of people like Charlie who complain about the lack of POC's in the Miss Peregrine movie, or Witcher 3 or . . . grrr I can't remember the name of the game, but a Medieval combat/feudal simulator set in Eastern Europe.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

You do realize a lot of the people 'complaining' are just taking the piss out of people like Charlie who complain about the lack of POC's in the Miss Peregrine movie, or Witcher 3 or . . . grrr I can't remember the name of the game, but a Medieval combat/feudal simulator set in Eastern Europe.
Do we have to bring this into every fucking thread, holy shit

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'd like to believe that, and in some cases it's possibly true, but evidence to the contrary seems to outweigh it.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

"Fuck Tim Burton and his White Supremacist ass."

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

I'd like to believe that, and in some cases it's possibly true, but evidence to the contrary seems to outweigh it.
Well, note this didn't happen with "The Get Down" *which is awesome btw* that only had the one main character that was white "the scuzzy producer" and the handful of side characters that interacted with Smits character.

I'm sure there are some ignorant racists saying crap, but really it looks more like trolls poking at the perpetually offended types.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

If you want to do this make a fucking We Hate CDS Thread or something, goddamn, that wasn't even in this thread

BACK TO MARVEL STUFF

Luke Cage was great, and I'm really excited for Iron Fist and Punisher. Netflix/Marvel have been getting really talented people to work on these shows and it's insane how solid every season has been.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Celt Z

Celt Z

:rofl:

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I'm going to be THAT guy and ask how Luke's hair manages to stay intact. He can cut his hair and keep his head shaved. In fact, his facial hair is usually well groomed. But it doesn't get singed off even when he's on fire.

Dei

Dei

One of my pet peeves was in Luke Cage though.
OMG STOP SHOCKING FLATLINES

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm watching Luke Cage again (I got ahead of Mr. Z and now I'm hanging out while he catches up), and there's something I didn't notice until now: there are a lot of women as major characters. Probably more than Daredevil and Jessica Jones combined. A lot of strong, well-rounded characters, both good, evil, and somewhere in between, without constantly calling attention to them being women or sexualized. Not just Claire and Misty, but Mariah, Inspector Ridley, Captain Audrey, Thembi, even "Genghis Connie". Kudos to whomever made that happen.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think one reason the pissbabies are whining about not enough white people in Luke Cage vs some other shows is that they wouldn't watch those other shows in the first place, while Luke Cage is a Marvel superhero show. The MCU is a big popular brand right now and those particular dumbshits have expectations about stuff they watch.

So yeah, just wait for Black Panther.

So I checked out some comic stuff, and Mariah Dillard is a very different character there.

On the left. I can't imagine the character on the show is going to get some super-soldier serum treatment.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm not even sure if she's super powered, is she? I think she's just huge and instead of being a councilwoman she was a corpse trafficker or something.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm not even sure if she's super powered, is she? I think she's just huge and instead of being a councilwoman she was a corpse trafficker or something.
I assumed she was superpowered if she could get into fisticuffs with Luke Cage and win.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

bless The Get Down, I do enjoy it, but I don't think it gets enough viewers to have any uproar[DOUBLEPOST=1475820851,1475820756][/DOUBLEPOST]
wait did I post about Tim Burton in here? if so it was an honest wrong tab situation, I thought someone else brought it up in one of the general movie threads.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Is it really so hard for some people to see a story though eyes that aren't their own sometimes?
No, it's not... but it's really easy to choose to.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

wait did I post about Tim Burton in here? if so it was an honest wrong tab situation, I thought someone else brought it up in one of the general movie threads.
It was in the last movie seen thread.

Celt Z

Celt Z

So, if you liked the Luke Cage soundtrack, and you still own a turntable, they're doing a vinyl release. I don't have anything that can play records in my house anymore, but owning this would be sweet.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

YES PLEASE

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Also, it has been announced that Sigourney Weaver will be playing the main villain in The Defenders.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Also, it has been announced that Sigourney Weaver will be playing the main villain in The Defenders.
I don't even need to know who she's playing, I'm happy because 1. Sigourney Weaver's awesome, and 2. they're still saving Kingpin for Daredevil season 3.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dave

Dave

Stop! My penis can only get so erect!

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Without Bendydick Thundersnatch in that photo, it's a not a proper Defenders photo.

It's still awesome :D

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They're the MCU Defenders, not the comic book Defenders. The TV and movies aren't doing crossovers, so you're not going to see Doctor Strange involved.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

And apparently they're only The Defenders in name only. This one is more in line with Heroes for Hire. I guess Defenders was just catchier.

EDIT: Sweet Jesus this was written horribly. That's what I get for posting on my phone in the middle of an online game.y

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

And apparently they're only The Defenders in name only. This one is mlre in line with Heroes for Hire.i guess Defenders was just catchier.
Probably. Defenders does have a nice ring to it.

Honestly, the line-up reminds me most of the Marvel Knights team. Yes, that was an actual team. They came together once to deal with the Punisher, with the team made up of Daredevil, Luke Cage, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, and Dagger.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Probably. Defenders does have a nice ring to it.

Honestly, the line-up reminds me most of the Marvel Knights team. Yes, that was an actual team. They came together once to deal with the Punisher, with the team made up of Daredevil, Luke Cage, Black Widow, Moon Knight, Shang-Chi, and Dagger.
I remember that book! I bought it up until the end of the first arc. I don't think it lasted much further past that.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

God after how good all the Netflix shows have been, I would kill for Moon Knight.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It's kind of unfortunate that Cloak and Dagger will be going to ABC. Not because Agents of SHIELD is bad, but ABC needs the right material for their style of show and from what little I've seen of them in the comics, Netflix would be more appropriate.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

GasBandit

GasBandit

Celt Z

Celt Z

"Turkel" :D

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

The funny thing is most of the flashbacks featuring Pop, Cottonmouth, and Mama Mabel take place in the '80s or early '90s, which was exactly when Family Matters was at its height.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'll bet that still doesn't wipe the scowl off his face.

--Patrick

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

I hope Pop had a decent insurance policy on his shop. That place got wrecked twice, and it'll probably happen again next season.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I would imagine Farmers insures against superhero-types, since it's run by J. Jonah Jameson Commissioner Gordon.

(Whew! Good thing he switched. Jameson would never pay out an insurance claim.)

GasBandit

GasBandit

I would imagine Farmers insures against superhero-types, since it's run by J. Jonah Jameson Commissioner Gordon.

(Whew! Good thing he switched. Jameson would never pay out an insurance claim.)
He's-a-menace, bum-ba-dum-bum-bum-bum-bum!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hope Pop had a decent insurance policy on his shop. That place got wrecked twice, and it'll probably happen again next season.
I thought everyone just has Damage Control on their speed dial.

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just finished Luke Cage. Loved the bit at the end with Claire and the Colleen.

evilmike

evilmike

The Runaways:

(Rhenzy Feliz / Alex, Lyrica Okano / Nico, Virginia Gardner / Karolina)

(Ariela Barer / Gert, Gregg Sulkin / Chase, Allegra Acosta / Molly)

No information on the release date as of yet.
(via Gizmodo)

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

There's a new Iron Fist trailer. By the gods of K'un-Lun!

fade

fade

Looks neato. I admit I know very little about the character other than the whole Mighty Whitey controversy.

mikerc

mikerc

Oh, come on! People are hitting "like" for an Iron FIST trailer? Halforums, I am disapoint.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Looks neato. I admit I know very little about the character other than the whole Mighty Whitey controversy.
Iron Fist was part of Marvel's attempt to exploit the kung fu craze of the '70s. Luke Cage was Marvel's attempt at blaxploitation at around the same time. It was only natural that the two became bros.

evilmike

evilmike

Oh, come on! People are hitting "like" for an Iron FIST trailer? Halforums, I am disapoint.
Would "I get that reference." also be an acceptable rating?

evilmike

evilmike

mikerc

mikerc

Would "I get that reference." also be an acceptable rating?
No! @IronBrig4 deserves to be fisted for posting that trailer!

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Well at least buy me dinner first.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That beard still looks hella fake, tho.

--Patrick

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Just saw the first two episodes for Iron Fist. It's not very good.

Dave

Dave

I have seen both praise and complaints about it. So it's a mixed bag.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

It currently has 14% on Rotten Tomatoes and 37% on Metacritic. It starts slowly, the fighting scenes aren't entertaining, the script doesn't pop, and the villains look like they should be on Arrow.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/iron-fists-premiere-doesnt-make-convincing-case-it-252246

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Four episodes in so far. I like where they're going. They've had the other series to build up their universe, it's good that they haven't had Danny going full out. They needed that in DD to the pull folks in. I'm looking forward to/hoping to see Iron Fist get to unload. *also hopefully to see Shang Chi, or at least a mention*

phil

phil

Starting episode 5 now. It's very slow moving. I'd say the first two episodes at least could have been condensed into one. Danny isn't that likeable so far. Like, act 1 scene 1 he walks into his family business building with no ID, shoes or doing anything to announce his return and is like.... Suuuuper surprised that no one believes him or instantly recognizes him.

So far a good deal of questions are being asked but none are being answered. That would be fine though if we had more stuff to keep us busy in the mean time though. I'm interested enough to keep going, though I guess my expectations were different. The other series I think could get away with not doing an origin arch right away because the story was exciting enough to warrant a slower burn. This one it would have been nice to have a bit more to go off of early on.

phil

phil

Finished it.

It's for sure the weakest of these shows. It just doesn't explore the world enough for me. Everything is just kind of given to you at face value and you just have to go with it.

No one has any real motivations for what they do. The bad guys don't have any real master plan other than normal bad guy stuff. Danny wanted to...Make his company be less evil? But also destroy the hand. But also hang out with his childhood friends.

This series needed like 4 things to make it better.
1) More background on Kun'lun and iron fists in general. If kingpin can get an origin episode, the main character of this show can get one too.
2) more street level heroics. It would have been nice to see him just do some normal super hero shit.
3) Some more humor. Danny's been gone for 15 years and I would have loved to see him be amazed at things that have changed. Like someone hand him a cell phone and him ask if it has that snake game on it.
4) I'm going to fault S2 of DD also on this but the bad guys need a kind of clear master plan to stop. Even if it's on the smaller side like busting up a drug ring or something. It was too messy to really see what all was going on with all the players and organizations involved.

Overall I'm going to say that you can probably skip this one if you want to. Do look on YouTube or something for the Drunken Master fight around episode like 7 or 8 though. Best part by far.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Overall I'm going to say that you can probably skip this one if you want to. Do look on YouTube or something for the Drunken Master fight around episode like 7 or 8 though. Best part by far.
Does anything feel really plot significant, such as hinting at future stuff? Or minor characters from the other shows that have any significant character moments?

phil

phil

Does anything feel really plot significant, such as hinting at future stuff? Or minor characters from the other shows that have any significant character moments?
Clair is learning to fight and acquires a set of claw fist weapons she might use later. Lawyer lady showed up but was just her normal lawyer self. No mentions of any of the other defenders that I caught. It was actually weird that Clair never went to Matt once she found out that The Hand was behind this stuff, especially when Danny is clearly over his head and might need help. It's just like the movies though how Cap or Tony never ask the other avengers for help even before civil war when it would have made sense to.

The only big take away is that The Hand is more and more like HYDRA. They have inner factions that don't all get along I guess. Their big plan wasn't really touched on at all, so no progress on that since DD S2. I'm predicting them to be the big bad for Defenders though.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Their big plan wasn't really touched on at all, so no progress on that since DD S2.
Considering it's probably Shadowland, it's unlikely they'll say much about it until they're sure the audience will accept something that Frank Miller clearly came up while on drugs.

(hmm, so apparently that story didn't connect it with the Hand at the time, if the summary on the wiki id correct... i wonder who did)

EDIT: Heh, Agent Garret is from that mini... and that's what that cyborg scene was about... i knew it felt familiar...

Celt Z

Celt Z

We just finished it, and I agree a lot of what @phil said: it's the weakest so far, and there wasn't enough universe building. It would have been nice to get a little more depth out of the villains, especially since Faramir Harold was just the usual "my motivation is greed" bad guy. Claire continues to be the awesomeness of the Netflix 'verse, although it drove me crazy that at no point did she call any of the heroes she knows for back-up, especially considering DD fought The Hand already! I know they have to give each character time to shine, but if they can bring Luke into Jessica Jones, they can have someone show up in Iron Fist! They're all on the same island, for crying out loud!

I did watch the first 5 episodes with some friends, which made them pretty enjoyable because we were MST3K the shit out of it. By the way, fun fact: Rand is actually 1 Chase Manhattan Plaza, the headquarters for Chase bank. All of us had worked there at some point and recognized it immediately. The elevator bank they filmed at is the only one that's not in use on a regular basis. And yes, the upper floors do look like that, but with less murder. That we know of.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm on episode three of Iron Fist. So far I think it is getting a bad rap. Don't get me wrong. It is worse than most of the other Netflix Marvel shows (except maybe Daredevil season 2...) It is definitely a slow boil, but I think in a good way. The show is trying to earn the animosities and the friendships instead of just creating them out of thin air. I also am not convinced that making Danny Rand asian would "undo" any racism. It kind of seems like a racist thing to do in itself. There is no winning on that front I think. If the Hand is going to be the bad guys, though, and a bunch of asian ninjas are taking on the white martial arts hero, that will be a problem they could have avoided. Making Danny Rand asian isn't the fix, though. That just makes all the asian characters martial artists in a stereotypical fashion.

tldr; So far the show is better than the gripes about it let on. There appear to be some missteps, though, that they could have avoided.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Kati doesn't have any interest in the series, but she's come across someone on Slate who says they'd like to see a series (probably starring Wenwen Han) about a Chinese girl who crash-lands in Texas and returns 15 years later to Chengdu after learning the mystical art of Gunslinging. She could have a bandolier and a couple of Colt SAs or something, and there would be no end of opportunity for fish-out-of-water humor regarding whiskey, spitting, horseback riding, and just a general lack of knowledge of what's been going on in the 15 years since she disappeared.

I might watch that.

So might @bhamv3.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Kati doesn't have any interest in the series, but she's come across someone on Slate who says they'd like to see a series (probably starring Wenwen Han) about a Chinese girl who crash-lands in Texas and returns 15 years later to Chengdu after learning the mystical of Gunslinging. She could have a bandolier and a couple of Colt SAs or something, and there would be no end of opportunity for fish-out-of-water humor regarding whiskey, spitting, horseback riding, and just a general lack of knowledge of what's been going on in the 15 years since she disappeared.

I might watch that.

So might @bhamv3.

--Patrick
Don't China and Texas both have lots of spitting?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Don't China and Texas both have lots of spitting?
The color is different.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'll have to see what Wenwen Han is wearing in this show before I decide whether I watch it.

As a minor side note, Wenwen Han looks a lot like this girl in the year below me in university.

drifter

drifter

Wenwen Han: My costume will be a potato sack.

Bhamv3: Sold!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'll have to see what Wenwen Han is wearing in this show before I decide whether I watch it.
Because Western series are dark and gritty and all up in your face at the moment, there will be at least one episode where she is sneak attacked while sleeping in her bed and has to struggle her way to the chair where her holster is hanging all the while also fighting to keep the sheets strategically draped so as not to accidentally earn a TV-MA rating.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

Because Western series are dark and gritty and all up in your face at the moment, there will be at least one episode where she is sneak attacked while sleeping in her bed and has to struggle her way to the chair where her holster is hanging all the while also fighting to keep the sheets strategically draped so as not to accidentally earn a TV-MA rating.

--Patrick
... go on.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

As a minor side note, Wenwen Han looks a lot like this girl in the year below me in university.
You think all Asian people look like another Asian person you know. Racist.

Covar

Covar

Kati doesn't have any interest in the series, but she's come across someone on Slate who says they'd like to see a series (probably starring Wenwen Han) about a Chinese girl who crash-lands in Texas and returns 15 years later to Chengdu after learning the mystical art of Gunslinging. She could have a bandolier and a couple of Colt SAs or something, and there would be no end of opportunity for fish-out-of-water humor regarding whiskey, spitting, horseback riding, and just a general lack of knowledge of what's been going on in the 15 years since she disappeared.

I might watch that.

So might @bhamv3.

--Patrick
Not going to lie, that sounds awesome.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

We decided to throw on Iron Fist while on our comps as background stuff. Ended up going through three episodes.

The first episode was fine for a first episode.

The second episode draaaags. It is so damn repetitive. It felt like it was about to end, and I checked the time out of curiosity because it felt like it'd been an hour, but it had only been 38 minutes and the episode was like 77 minutes or more total.

Third episode was a little better, but also had a lot of drag. It feels like this corporate shit would've been taken care of in a single episode of another show. Like it had to cobble together a conflict because neither the hero nor villains seemed to have much of a plan going on at the start.

Still, it has its moments.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

You think all Asian people look like another Asian person you know. Racist.

The relevant part starts at 0:58.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I actually liked the first 5 or 6 episodes for the most part, but the longer it went, the less I liked the main character. Not just the fact that Beardsly McRamenhair felt like a really shitty casting decision, but instead of pushing the fish-out-of-water angle (as others have said was a missed opportunity) they just turn Danny into more and more of an irrational, petulant child. By the last few episodes, he's basically just determined to do the opposite of whatever anybody tells him to do. "You must kill him and return to Kunlun!" "No, I won't!" "You can't kill him" "I can and I will!" and so on and so forth. The steady descent into madness of the former NSYNC member who fell off the grid and became a scruffy, psychotic hobo entertains less and less as the story progresses.

Madame Gao steals the show, and Claire lends a gratifyingly stabilizing influence, anchoring the story and preventing it from going into complete pants-on-head retardedness.

So yeah, final verdict, not as good as the others, but it's got enough good parts for someone who wants to watch all the defenders stuff to not feel like they totally wasted their time.

As for why Claire doesn't go get help when she finds out the baddies are the hand? Well, Luke is in prison, Jessica's a mess, and they're not in Hell's kitchen, so so much for DD :p

@Li3n

@Li3n

Damn, DD stole his look....

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

See the numbers in the upper right corner? 08:18:20:17? That's the premiere date.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Finished episode 8 last night. Cool fight near the end, and at least I'm now invested in some of the story, but the pacing problems continue. I could've sworn we'd watched three episodes last night, but nope, episode 7 just dragged that damn much.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Mr. Z is working over at the "Rand" building today. I told him he needed to jump out at any young white dude in the lobby and shout, "I thought I'd find you here, Iron Fist! The Hand will have it's revenge!" in his most FOB accent.

He did not appreciate my suggestion. :(

Gryfter

Gryfter

Okay, finally finished Iron Fist.

Definitely the weakest of the Netflix outings. They spent way to much time on the Meachums and not enough time on Danny earning the Iron Fist. Also, for martial arts hero..... I didn't get to see much martial arts. I forgive them for having DD fight in the dark, it's always been part of the character. There's zero reason to do it here and I was really hoping for some great action scenes but I couldn't see what was going on half the time. Best fights were Colleen Wing scenes (she rocked).

They dropped the ball with this one though. Even Into the Badlands (a guilty pleasure but not a particularly good show), which is a martial arts show, manages to deliver on the simple promise of martial arts fighting. Iron Fist is one of Marvel's master martial artist and Netflix really didn't showcase him very well.

GasBandit

GasBandit

They dropped the ball with this one though.
The most compelling character of the series was that one drunken boxer who we never saw again.

Gryfter

Gryfter

The most compelling character of the series was that one drunken boxer who we never saw again.
Well and Gao.... Gao was a pleasure to watch manipulate the fuck out of those yahoo heroes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well and Gao.... Gao was a pleasure to watch manipulate the fuck out of those yahoo heroes.
Gao definitely stole the show.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Most interesting episode had the least screen-time for Danny.

We've been hovering at two episodes to go for a few days now. We'll probably finish it this weekend, but for comparison's sake, this wouldn't have been acceptable with any of the other Marvel Netflix shows. We could not wait to see what would happen next. With this one, it's like ... yeah, we'll get there.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Finished Iron Fist last night.

The show doesn't start too bad, and I was coming around to it midway through even though the pacing never got any better--I sincerely think a lot of the show's other problems would've been more forgivable if the pacing had been better--but in the end I wound up really frustrated and annoyed by this.

The Meachum siblings' character motives are all over the place. Whoever ran this show thought they were orchestrating some complex plan, but this is less Walter White and more magic 8-ball. The siblings just act in whatever's in accordance to the story at any given moment. At first it was funny, but then it got annoying, and by the time there's the final scene with Joy, I was at "whatever" levels of disbelief. I'm glad I wasn't invested enough to care much. Danny is annoying, but at least he's consistently irrational.

Best new characters were Colleen and Harold. That said, even Colleen's arc got messy as the Hand became more convoluted, and Harold was a big improvement over Luke Cage's end villain, but his end speech was so limp compared to how his character was up until that point.

And that ending ...

"It's all my fault."

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

It was nice having Hogarth, Gao, and Claire though. All three of them made the show more bearable whenever they were present. Gao especially made for a cool puppetmaster, while Claire was kind enough to make dumb and over-serious scenes easier to swallow. Rosario Dawson just kept making me laugh.

Danny, stern and serious: "I'm the Iron Fist."
Claire: "*throws hands up* The hell's that supposed to mean?"

Colleen: "You can't kill him, Danny."
Claire: *nods*
Colleen: "That's why I have to kill him for you."
Claire: "JESUS!"

:D

I'm really nervous for The Defenders, because while three of the core group are excellent, it only takes one weak link to screw it up. Finn Jones says Danny will truly become the Iron Fist by the end of The Defenders, but what about the eight episodes until then? Is Danny still going to be this whiny brat? I want to see Luke and Danny being cool together, and that means Danny needs to lighten the fuck up. I can't see Luke Cage being best friends with this man-child. Hopefully that show will have better writing and direction, and can get Danny Rand on track.

While I didn't outright hate this show, I know for certain I'm never going to watch it again.

Vrii

Vrii

That end scene with Joy was just terrible. I ended up in about the same place - I didn't hate it, but the flaws kept me from really enjoying it.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Mr. Z is working over at the "Rand" building today. I told him he needed to jump out at any young white dude in the lobby and shout, "I thought I'd find you here, Iron Fist! The Hand will have it's revenge!" in his most FOB accent.

He did not appreciate my suggestion. :(
Maybe if you'd told him to wear the banana suit while doing it, he would've been onboard.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Maybe if you'd told him to wear the banana suit while doing it, he would've been onboard.
...oh sure, THAT he agreed with. :confused:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Three thoughts:

1) That looks pretty awesome.
2) Oh Christ, the main story is about The Hand.
3) HALLWAY FIGHT.

phil

phil

Yay Daredevil! Luke Cage! Jessica Jones!

Danny: And I'm the immortal iro-

Me: Shut the fuck up Danny. No one cares. Go find Hawkeye. We're trading you for him.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And...Sigourney Weaver?
(checks IMDb) Yep.

--Patrick

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

They need to give Iron Fist a coloring book and put him in a corner. Then the rest can do the superheroics and it'll be awesome.