[TV] The Flash

Calling it now, gotta be Harrison Wells. He's just too much like Hunter Zolomon in the Geoff Johns Flash run.

Haven't seen the episode but I made my prediction in this thread back in June; totally hoping I nailed it!

fade

Staff member
Harrison Wells is H. Wells, or H.G. Wells, implying he's a time traveler anyway. That being said, Thawne was in the pilot as a separate character.

I'm hoping that they use Eddie Thawne as Cobalt Blue instead of Professor Zoom. I mean, he's not even a professor!

Finally watched the pilot last night. It was okay. Had the usual CW trappings: bland, one-dimensional characters, really awkward romance among characters with no chemistry, and cliche dialogue. The villain was nothing but something for Flash to fight at the end.

That said, the special effects were pretty good. Love the effects for The Flash himself, except that close-up shot at the end of him running. And while I think it's weird to have basically a child play Barry Allen, he won me over towards the end.

I'll at least give it another few episodes and see if it gets any better.

fade

Staff member
I'm not arguing with you, because you're right. But Barry was better with a more experienced crew in Arrow, and pilots are generally awkward, even for good shows. I give it the pilot discount.

One thing that is definitely lacking is Arrow's excellent DP. That show has some of the best lighting I've ever seen, big or small screen.

fade

Staff member
Meh. That wasn't a strong follow-up. It's fairly clear now that
wells is the reverse flash
, which is weird given the presence of someone named
Thawne--unless that's Wells's father or something
. Well, poo. There goes my hope for a Doom Patrol backdoor pilot.

Apparently, the plan for this take on Trickster is that he's an anarchist terrorist con man who helps Barry when a wannabe Trickster hits the scene.
Which is more or less the role of the old Trickster in the comics. Kind of. There was a new, younger, hipper Trickster hopping about that first appeared during Geoff Johns' run on the title. I get the feeling that'll be their inspiration.

I keep wanting to give the show a second chance because I see a lot of people really digging the show. Including Mark Waid. And Flash is probably my third or fourth favourite superhero, even if my Flash is Wally, not Barry.

Which is more or less the role of the old Trickster in the comics. Kind of. There was a new, younger, hipper Trickster hopping about that first appeared during Geoff Johns' run on the title. I get the feeling that'll be their inspiration.

I keep wanting to give the show a second chance because I see a lot of people really digging the show. Including Mark Waid. And Flash is probably my third or fourth favourite superhero, even if my Flash is Wally, not Barry.
Honestly, I'd suggest giving it a second chance. They've been doing a good job of capturing the right feel for the Flash, along with some good takes on characters, such as Captain Cold. I will say it suffers some when it comes to the Barry and Iris dynamic, but bad romantic business seems to just be a regular symptom of most CW shows, unfortunately. The two-part crossover they did with Arrow was good and nicely developed a relationship between the two heroes akin to Batman and Superman.

Check it out, Nick, it's a fun show and their Barry borrows a lot from comics Wally. My seven year old insists on watching it with me every week and Flash is now currently his favorite super-hero because of the show.

DAMN, that was actually quite exciting. If you are not watching this show START NOW!
I have to agree. Watching Barry Allen as he took on the Reverse-Flash had some good drama to it, along with finally getting to see this show's take on the Reverse-Flash in action as the monster he is.

So, looks like Harrison Wells is the Reverse-Flash. We've already known about him being from the future or at least knowing it, but I wonder what his endgame is going to be, considering his interest in the Flash's disappearance in the future?

My guess is possibly something akin to Zoom, namely trying to turn Barry into a better hero through the twisted method of causing more tragedy to him. That said, his talk of destiny does seem to play a bit closer to Eobard Thawne and the ring he had to unlock his costume room looks like the Flash's classic costume ring. Perhaps Wells is a Flash from another timeline? Or just a descendant of Eddie Thawne?

Last edited:
I have to give the show props, they had me questioning the identity of Reverse Flash right up to the reveal. Mostly from them not bothering to twist it.

If Wells is Dr Zoom, how was he in 2 places at once and kick his own ass?
Considering what we saw at the end...

It looks like they're using the original Prof. Zoom origin where he didn't have any innate powers, and his speed came from his suit (hence applying the tachyons to it), which was actually an old Flash suit he found in the future and used advanced future science to activate the speed force remnants that Barry left in the suit by using it.

So it's mos def time travel.

BananaHands

Staff member
I have to agree. Watching Barry Allen as he took on the Reverse-Flash had some good drama to it, along with finally getting to see this show's take on the Reverse-Flash in action as the monster he is.

So, looks like Harrison Wells is the Reverse-Flash. We've already known about him being from the future or at least knowing it, but I wonder what his endgame is going to be, considering his interest in the Flash's disappearance in the future?

My guess is possibly something akin to Zoom, namely trying to turn Barry into a better hero through the twisted method of causing more tragedy to him. That said, his talk of destiny does seem to play a bit closer to Eobard Thawne and the ring he had to unlock his costume room looks like the Flash's classic costume ring. Perhaps Wells is a Flash from another timeline? Or just a descendant of Eddie Thawne?
I still don't think Wells is Zoom - but I'm fairly certain he's going to create Zoom using that Tachyon Device. Maybe he'll use Eddie Thwane as a pawn? No one would cause Barry to push his limits more that Professor Zoom.

The Zoom Barry fought this round was clearly from the future and mentions that "we've been doing this a long time...". Zoom beating the shit outta Wells means he harbors some hatred for the man and him leaving Eddie alive suggests that it's his past self.

I like the idea that Wells is Pariah. But who knows. I love this show.

I still don't think Wells is Zoom - but I'm fairly certain he's going to create Zoom using that Tachyon Device. Maybe he'll use Eddie Thwane as a pawn? No one would cause Barry to push his limits more that Professor Zoom.

The Zoom Barry fought this round was clearly from the future and mentions that "we've been doing this a long time...". Zoom beating the shit outta Wells means he harbors some hatred for the man and him leaving Eddie alive suggests that it's his past self.

I like the idea that Wells is Pariah. But who knows. I love this show.
Well, if it's Future Eddie in the suit then he won't be Professor Zoom.

Well, if it's Future Eddie in the suit then he won't be Professor Zoom.
Well, the professor half of that name could come from Harrison Wells. It could be that he creates Zoom as a kind of tool to toughen Barry and make him into a better hero through tragedy, but then Zoom gets out of his control and things go bad.

You guys are taking it way too literally...

Professor Zoom is always the guy from the future that find an old Flash suit, while the guy that works besides Flash's alter ego at the police station is always just Zoom. If you search the 2 terms on wiki they will find their respective comic counterparts easy...