The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Just don't do yoga classes on the beach, there's too much sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

"Good news, everybody!" - Professor Farnsworth, Futurama

I'm officially gainfully employed! I got a call center job at Eastlink. Training starts July 9. Full-time hours, starting at $13.77/hour, plus commissions, benefits after the first 3 months.

A soulless call center job, but still a job.
First of all congrats. Glad you're getting something.

Secondly, I hope it's better than this, but I think you could get a laugh out of it too:

Cajungal

Staff member
That's right, and call center money still spends just a good as art money. Call center money paid for most of my undergrad.
Call centers are where my favorite work stories came from. I had to field calls from angry parents who wanted their kids to attend their alma matter AND stay in the BEST DORMS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Cajungal

Staff member
A friend of mine worked at Yale. She said the worst calls were telling alumns that a million dollars isn't a large enough donation to get a kid in.
Oof. Yep. This dumbass once asked me in his best 50s troglodyte voice, "Sweetheart, ya like chocolate? I work for Godiva. I could set you up with whatever you want."

How much power do they think I have? And also, why am I suddenly in Mad Men?

Call centers are where my favorite work stories came from.
I was inbound calls for DirecTV. A guy once threatened to choke me if I didn't get his Sopranos back on. I also had a guy from Alabama ask me to come hang out and bbq with his family. I spoke to Ed Belfour, a pro-baseball player (forgot his name), and the housekeeper (I guess) for Gwenyth Paltrow's dad (Bruce Paltrow). You could always tell a celebrities acct based on the billing address, which was almost always some agency/accountant.

Dave

Staff member
I had a lady ask me once what the temperature was in St. Paul. In winter. So I said, "I think it's about 20 degrees right now, if I remember the weather reports from this morning." She responded with, "I had no idea it got that cold there!" *click*

Turns out there was a new product being sold. Vacation packages to St. Paul, Florida. By Tampa. Oops.

I once had to troubleshoot a woman who was exerting far too much effort in using her mouse, grunting and straining over the phone as I asked her to do some very simple tech support steps.

Turns out she was a former seamstress and thought that the mouse went on the floor.

I’ve heard that before, that people will think the mouse is a treadle. It’s one of those “cup holder” type mistakes. But then I’ve also had to teach people how to properly use the <SHIFT> key.

—Patrick

I had a lady ask me once what the temperature was in St. Paul. In winter. So I said, "I think it's about 20 degrees right now, if I remember the weather reports from this morning." She responded with, "I had no idea it got that cold there!" *click*

Turns out there was a new product being sold. Vacation packages to St. Paul, Florida. By Tampa. Oops.
Once in awhile, I'll see a story about a traveler who landed in Sydney, Cape Breton when they actually meant to travel to Sydney, Austrailia.

The funny thing is, the story often adds that they stay in Cape Breton, quite enjoy it, and may return for another vacation.

And a funny call center story from a friend of mine. You know how in customer service, you'll say something like "Will that be all, sir?" and such? So he had a customer where he said "sir" a number of times.

As he told me after, the customer suddenly said (in a thick southern accent), "Ah'm a woman."

Without missing a beat, my friend said, "I am SO sorry. I, too, am a woman and get confused for a man on the phone all the time."
"Innit just terrible?"
"You KNOW it, girlfriend!"

Oof. Yep. This dumbass once asked me in his best 50s troglodyte voice, "Sweetheart, ya like chocolate? I work for Godiva. I could set you up with whatever you want."

How much power do they think I have? And also, why am I suddenly in Mad Men?
Have the chocolate sent to the call center, and just let the kid get what they get. "I'll see what I can do sir." Oh, look at that. I can't do anything about it. And now, free chocolate!

And since I helped you come up with this plan, I want my share of the chocolate.

(I know you don't work there anymore. I just want chocolate now!)

Call centers are where my favorite work stories came from.
I was inbound calls for DirecTV. A guy once threatened to choke me if I didn't get his Sopranos back on. I also had a guy from Alabama ask me to come hang out and bbq with his family. I spoke to Ed Belfour, a pro-baseball player (forgot his name), and the housekeeper (I guess) for Gwenyth Paltrow's dad (Bruce Paltrow). You could always tell a celebrities acct based on the billing address, which was almost always some agency/accountant.
Eddie the eagle? I'm jealous.

I once had to troubleshoot a woman who was exerting far too much effort in using her mouse, grunting and straining over the phone as I asked her to do some very simple tech support steps.

Turns out she was a former seamstress and thought that the mouse went on the floor.
Oh my god. Were you able to keep it together before the end of the call or did to die laughing while you were still talking to her?