The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Degreaser? Or oven cleaner? Degreaser is pretty easy to mix up yourself, but oven cleaner is another story.

--Patrick
Something that will cut through organic matter and grease, in order to get rid of the baked and burned on grease that's left on the sides of the oven, oven door, and burner pans.

Something that will cut through organic matter and grease, in order to get rid of the baked and burned on grease that's left on the sides of the oven, oven door, and burner pans.
Spray-on oven cleaner, then. It's the best for removing baked-/burned-on grease*. Make sure your oven and other utensils can take it before you spray it on, and make sure you have plenty of ventilation while it is working. You can buy stuff like Easy-Off at your local store, or you can buy generic "OVEN CLEANER SPRAY" from places like GFS or other restaurant supply houses for a lot less. They're all basically the same thing...a spray can full of aerosolized lye paste, so be VERY careful where you spray it. Lye turns baked-on grease into soap, then you wipe the soap away with a damp sponge. Wear gloves while you wipe it off. Also you can follow up with a wipe-down with (very) mild vinegar or (very) weak lemonade once you're finished if you want to neutralize any leftover lye. Any substance the lye doesn't remove can probably be removed with something at the other end of the scale from lye such as citric acid (also known as "dishwasher cleaner").

--Patrick
*fun fact - your dirty oven is essentially the same process as seasoning a cast-iron pan, except that this is something you didn't want.

A few years ago I joked with my now-wife that, were my father to follow my grandfather's footsteps and be diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, I would, "Batman the shit out of it." (Verbatim quote.) My grandfather's struggle with this illness and the impact it had on my family are some of the strongest memories from my childhood and helped shape my decision to pursue not only a degree in biology but a Ph.D. in neuroscience. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in one of my (now infrequent) posts on the board, it seems he has followed my grandfather's path and was diagnosed with a case of moderate Alzheimer's. It's a funny way of describing it: clinically, he has moderate impairment. He has lapses in memory. At times he'll hallucinate during the night (a non-typical feature). But that didn't really prepare me for, over the course of a recent visit back home, him forgetting who I was for a few moments.

So, why is this an epic win? I've been looking for employment for the past year, and it has not been fun. I wanted to avoid the stereotypical career path of pursuing a post-doc (a low-paid "holding tank" for those who have finished their PhD and compete for too-scarce academic jobs) but, after a lot of soul-searching and discussions with my better half, I started seeking positions. I found one. I accepted the offer this past Tuesday. It is a well-funded lab with an excellent mentor, a fantastic culture, and access to an absolutely ridiculous amount of resources leveraged towards treating Alzheimer's and other dementias. And I am in the singularly fortunate position of being able to fucking do something about the thing that has had a massive impact on many of my loved ones.

Or, to put it another way:

And I am in the singularly fortunate position of being able to fucking do something about the thing that has had a massive impact on many of my loved ones.

Here's hoping you find something even more effective than Targretin.
I look forward to hearing your progress.

--Patrick

A few years ago I joked with my now-wife that, were my father to follow my grandfather's footsteps and be diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, I would, "Batman the shit out of it." (Verbatim quote.) My grandfather's struggle with this illness and the impact it had on my family are some of the strongest memories from my childhood and helped shape my decision to pursue not only a degree in biology but a Ph.D. in neuroscience. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in one of my (now infrequent) posts on the board, it seems he has followed my grandfather's path and was diagnosed with a case of moderate Alzheimer's. It's a funny way of describing it: clinically, he has moderate impairment. He has lapses in memory. At times he'll hallucinate during the night (a non-typical feature). But that didn't really prepare me for, over the course of a recent visit back home, him forgetting who I was for a few moments.

So, why is this an epic win? I've been looking for employment for the past year, and it has not been fun. I wanted to avoid the stereotypical career path of pursuing a post-doc (a low-paid "holding tank" for those who have finished their PhD and compete for too-scarce academic jobs) but, after a lot of soul-searching and discussions with my better half, I started seeking positions. I found one. I accepted the offer this past Tuesday. It is a well-funded lab with an excellent mentor, a fantastic culture, and access to an absolutely ridiculous amount of resources leveraged towards treating Alzheimer's and other dementias. And I am in the singularly fortunate position of being able to fucking do something about the thing that has had a massive impact on many of my loved ones.

This is f-ing fantastic. I see so so sooooo many people with Alzheimer's; and the effect is has on family members is one of the hardest parts of my job. It's horrible to watch, it's horrible to be part of (my grandmother had it), and it is generally a crap-tacular disease.
Go team!

Alzheimer's took the life of the mom of a friend of mine. It was just... sad to see how this woman degenerated from a brilliant research librarian for J-Wax into an unrecognizable lump.

Go get 'em, @Enresshou.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, my mom is somewhere between my mom and that unrecognizable lump. Everyone says "Fuck cancer!" and while that's certainly true and people are harmed by it, people BEAT cancer. Cancer takes away your ability (in some cases) to do things that define who you are. Alzheimer's takes away everything you are and everything you've ever been. Some day I hope to hear, "There's been a cure. Some guy named @Enresshou kicked it's ass."

Cajungal

Staff member

Or, to put it another way:/QUOTE]

I'm so happy for you! Thank you for being a part of this very important endeavor. Best of luck to you.
[DOUBLEPOST=1460339688,1460339564][/DOUBLEPOST]...I don't know how I included my own response in that quote, but congrats again!

My great-grandmother and one of my great-aunts had Alzheimer's Disease. I hope you put a boot square in AD's ass.

Guess who's going to have a Foreign exchange student from Denmark with them next school year? This guy. btw, for no reason what so ever, anyone want to let me know about the mannerisms of people from Denmark?

Guess who's going to have a Foreign exchange student from Denmark with them next school year? This guy. btw, for no reason what so ever, anyone want to let me know about the mannerisms of people from Denmark?
May I introduce you to Charles Augustus Magnusson. He's a Dane.

CAM.gif

He's also very happy to make your acquaintance.

My sister in law spent some time there as an exchange student, then went back as a missionary years later.

All I know is that hygge is a big deal. Beyond that, you're on your own.

R is for Reflective, always thoughtful
E is for Exemplary, a class act to follow
D is for Dependable, a worthy friend
R is for Rebellious, going against the grain
U is for Uber, simply outstanding
M is for MURDER

T aco-loving--gotta have my tacos
I dealistic
N idifugous (yeah, look that one up..lol)
W hore, as in lecherous man-whore
H omey
I ncorrigible
S illy
T ease-- I've been promising to show my junk for like 10 years now
L echerous--see "whore" above
E ccentric
R eprobate