The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Went to WWE Raw House Show with a friend as a belated birthday gift (for me, not my friend). It was great, second row floor seats, the main event was a steel cage match between John Cena and Dolph Ziggler. Great moments include seeing Daniel Bryan and watching the Rhode Scholars wrestle the New Age Outlaws (Yes, the New Age Outlaws, and if you weren't down with that then I've got two words for you).

I miss my flat-top range, too. We have one at work, and I'm nearly anal about getting on the kids about keeping it clean.

At the encouragement of Pez I'm posting this...

My dear friend Carla and I entered a 'profile picture' contest for the company that made our corsets for Harley and Ivy. And we won!

Photo in question:

(I actually had no idea this was going on, Carla entered the contest and just told me this morning that we won. But still, kind of awesome. =^^=)

Started my contract position today, and I'm on my last break. We'll be in classroom training for 6 weeks, and then taking heavily-supervised stat-reduced calls for 2 more weeks.

Which is an epic win for two reasons:

a) I'll be getting paid full time hours to do next to nothing for 6 weeks and then 2 weeks more of no accountability after that, and

b) It's very unlikely that they're given us 8 weeks of supervision so that we can work for 4 more months after that. I think it's very likely a good chunk of us will have our contracts extended or maybe even offered fulltime permanant work! :)

Our extended Maui weekend in March is booked! All we need is a rental car and we are set. I cannot wait. Mr. Wasabi and I haven't been away without children for more than a few hours in almost 4 years. My parents are visiting for 10 days so we're taking advantage of it!

Clerk "Hello sir, how can I help you today?"
HCGLNS "One quarter male hex to quarter male square shank please."
"Right away sir, oh it appears that our inventory is showing none in stock but clearly we have one one the shelf. Well, here have it on the house."

Oh yeah!

North_Ranger

Staff member
Our extended Maui weekend in March is booked! All we need is a rental car and we are set. I cannot wait. Mr. Wasabi and I haven't been away without children for more than a few hours in almost 4 years. My parents are visiting for 10 days so we're taking advantage of it!
Don't break the mattress, you two! :D

My MDD G4 died after the storms in the middle of this past Oct killed our power (I wasn't at home at the time to unplug it). Returned from our trip to find it would just light but not actually power on. I figured the power supply had been pummeled (the most likely given the symptom, and the PSUs are notorious for dying on this model) and left it unplugged to be attended to "someday" (I keep a spare PSU for this model, acquired against just this sort of eventuality).

Guess what? Plugged it back in today after resetting the PMU, and the little bugger powered right up on the first try.
I haz quite the un-sad right now.

--Patrick

My doctor has cleared me to fly to Baton Rouge, LA to attend my little brother's wedding.
Now I just need to find something to do in Dayton, OH during my 5+ hour layover. Any suggestions?

My doctor has cleared me to fly to Baton Rouge, LA to attend my little brother's wedding.
Now I just need to find something to do in Dayton, OH during my 5+ hour layover. Any suggestions?
Change from winter clothing to summer clothing. It was like 73 degrees or so today. Just sayin'.

Dayton? Nothing. You need to go to Columbus, Toledo, Cleveland, or Cincinnati to find a good time in Ohio. Take it from a resident.

You might consider looking for one of those converted schools, a quick check found a 13000sqft house that sold in IL for only $155k.

--Patrick

Wedding plans are FINALLY coming together after roughly thirteen months of stress (couldn't book/plan anything until we got our venue; couldn't get the venue until we went back home to California for December). Coincidentally, this is about the same time I fix an experiment I've been trying to figure out for six months.

Also chose my wedding ring! http://www.boonerings.com/meteorite-series/meteorite.htm (In case you couldn't tell from the link, it's meteorite.)

fade

Staff member
You know something? I've had the fortune in my career to work for one of the best, most prolific signal processing electrical engineers in the world, to befriend (and share an office with) the father of modern radar, and to befriend the father of exploration seismology. In fact, I'm co-teaching a short course with him this week.

EDIT: I don't mean to seem like a braggart. I just got done planning tomorrow's lecture, and I feel fortunate more than arrogant.

fade

Staff member
Huh,

My wife just found out that the one journal article she published is heavily cited. We were looking around the web and we found numerous references to it in lecture material! Some calling it "the" xxx and xxx paper, or the "famous" xxx and xxx study. This was news to her.

The paper was based on her MS thesis, and it is on police officer suicide. It's a statistical study that basically comes to the conclusion that the widely held belief that police officers commit suicide more regularly than other occupations is not correct.

Last night, I gave [user]General Specific[/user] his Valentine's Day present. It's a shirt from his favorite MST3K movie, which was the first one we watched together.

I'm going to have to peel this one off of him just like the Torgo's Pizza shirt from Christmas!!

Last night, I gave [user]General Specific[/user] his Valentine's Day present. It's a shirt from his favorite MST3K movie, which was the first one we watched together.

I'm going to have to peel this one off of him just like the Torgo's Pizza shirt from Christmas!!
I am so pleased that that shirt exists. I also would like you to stop referring to him to by his real name or as General Specific, and exclusively use these. Welcome to the forum, Blast Hardcheese.

So remember when I minorly ranted about not being able to find a place to live next year?

Well after I got (kinda) screwed out of the two bedroom apartment I was looking at, I was told they had a one bedroom in the same building that my girlfriend and I could share. I decided to check it out and for $200 less a month it has a bedroom, a living room/kitchen and an "extra room" the same size as the bedroom. It's also a great location. I feel like I won the apartment lottery.