The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

My iPhone 5 came in yesterday. Called Cancellation services and complained about service after some dumb fuck tried to pigeon hole me at the Fido Boutique. Rolled a Natural 20 Diplomacy check and got myself a fantastic plan with all the trimmings for 10$ less than advertised plans.

Total money saved per year per phone? (we got 2) $260 dollars or so.

Booyah.

Remember the Smaug pumpkin project? My son got an A+++ from his teacher for it and the writing assignment that went with it. All of the kids had to give a presentation to the class about their pumpkin and the story they read. She cut him off after 6 minutes of talking about the book!

Also, last night he got his yellow stripe in karate! My kid totally rocks.

New epic win for my son (and his school). He and a group of his classmates will be singing the Hawaii State Song at the USS Arizona Memorial on Pearl Harbor Day. From what his teacher has told me this is going to be broadcast on C-Span and possibly other national networks.

Came home yesterday to find a fresh double chocolate cake on my porch.

It was not a lie. Nor was it a trap to fatten me up. It was delicious!

Had an interview for a permanent job two days ago. Went very well. Hoping to hear back soon about it. I know one of the two interviewers is "voting" for me!

Necronic

Staff member
Got a 12% raise last week. Combined with a pretty nice competitive salary adjustment earlier this year that puts me at ~18% raise this year.

boom baby

So I ordered, on the cheap, a Blu-Ray player from Wal-Mart during Black Friday. I just found out that it has a USB slot that will play videos off the USB on my TV. Why is this epic? Because it recognizes mp4, mkv, avi and mpg. Anyone who's ever tried to use an XBOX or PS3 usb slot to play movies directly from it knows what a win this Blu-Ray player turned out to be. It also plays DVDs. All for under $40.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Went to this new barbeque restaurant today with my folks. And had the best frickin' burger I've had in my life!

Also, I learned that they actually make their own pulled pork. They don't order it from someplace else, but smoke the damn thing themselves.

I think I just found my new favourite place to dine out.

I got off work at 11:30 and got paid until 2. :) This is at my old job still, new one doesn't start proper until January 7th, but I'm basically off until then.

Went to this new barbeque restaurant today with my folks. And had the best frickin' burger I've had in my life!

Also, I learned that they actually make their own pulled pork. They don't order it from someplace else, but smoke the damn thing themselves.

I think I just found my new favourite place to dine out.
BBQ in Finland? Really? So, is the sauce sweet or more sour? Do they provide sauce on the side or on the meat? Oh, and by BBQ, do you mean cooked on a grill or proper smoked meats?

Cheers!

<- hungry :cry:

North_Ranger

Staff member
BBQ in Finland? Really? So, is the sauce sweet or more sour? Do they provide sauce on the side or on the meat? Oh, and by BBQ, do you mean cooked on a grill or proper smoked meats?

Cheers!

<- hungry :cry:
Well, in Finland the BBQ tradition generally entails cooking steaks and sausages on a grill during the summer.

The restaurant I was talking about, however, was a US-style BBQ restaurant. Hence my salivating over pulled pork; I've seen it in a lot of cooking and food shows (Anthony Bourdain, Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver, that chubby guy who went around doing eating challenges), and it always looks soooooo delicious.

fade

Staff member
For the record, saying "US style BBQ" is like saying "French style wine" or "sauna pants are the same as a sauna".

For the record, saying "US style BBQ" is like saying "French style wine" or "sauna pants are the same as a sauna".
I was going to dispute this based on the fact that there absolutely is a difference between BBQ in the US and BBQ in other countries such as, say, Brazil or Uruguay... but then I realized you were probably going the other direction, there being so much difference between Texas BBQ, Memphis BBQ, KC BBQ, Carolina BBQ, etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1356129471][/DOUBLEPOST]And damnit, I want to live in a place where I can have a smoker practically. I mean, sure, I can smoke small things on the stovetop, but that is far inferior to a real smoker.

Cajungal

Staff member
Oh man, that looks SOOOOO good... nice and flaky, yeah? Crispy on the outside, fluffy inside? Oh man, I'm DROOLING over here!
Indeed, sir. Put a Pyrex pan below the bread and threw in some ice once it got hot. The steam makes that thin crust. Then you spray it with water a couple of times throughout the baking process to keep the steam in there. I also put in the perfect amount of salt this time. I always used to struggle with that. The recipes I used called for about half the salt it needed to taste good.

No gumbo to go with this, Sparhawk. ;) Just some butter or Steen's syrup!