The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Shannow

Staff member
......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.\.......................... .......
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll\................................
..............\lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........\;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,......................... ..
...............\lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................\llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-\..*`*;..)..........................
.................\,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/.\..................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*...\.................
................|.../.../.../.*`...\...........................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---......\..../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../............\........
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|..............\........
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,............\.......
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..........\........

fade

Staff member
I'm super excited and happy about something that none of you will probably care about. I just successfully finished developing a new approach and the associated code for inverting magnetotelluric data on the same finite element mesh as a controlled-source electromagnetic inversion. It's kind of fun to pull a wonky old engine out along with all the duct tape and wires that were thrown on over the years, toss it, and drop in a shiny new engine of your own design in the clean, freshly painted engine compartment.

I'm super excited and happy about something that none of you will probably care about. I just successfully finished developing a new approach and the associated code for inverting magnetotelluric data on the same finite element mesh as a controlled-source electromagnetic inversion. It's kind of fun to pull a wonky old engine out along with all the duct tape and wires that were thrown on over the years, toss it, and drop in a shiny new engine of your own design in the clean, freshly painted engine compartment.

Are talking about engine swaps here?

I was just given tickets to the April 25th Dallas Stars vs Columbus Blue Jackets game in Dallas for my birthday! Granted, my birthday isn't until next month, but I have enough time to ask for the days off now.

I read this to Mr. Wasabi so he could translate it into simpler terms for me. He gave me a wide-eyed, crazy smile and said "NEAT!"

fade

Staff member
Also acceptable would be "you got your MT in my CSEM! you got your CSEM in my MT! Joint inversion: two great tastes that taste great together."

In all seriousness, if you care, controlled-source EM (CSEM) is a technique for imaging below the Earth's surface using man-made EM fields (not waves). It's actually exactly the same as a metal detector, except bigger (the one I'm working with uses 100 m long antennae), more sensitive, and we're usually interested in more than just how strong the detection is. Magnetotellurics (MT) is basically the same thing, except using the currents that flow in the ionosphere and global lightning as a natural source. It's kind of the "geo" third of a tricorder. The catch is neither give you an actual image of the earth. You have to "invert" the data, which means take the data you were able to measure and run it backwards through the physics everyone learned in school to get an image of the earth. Which is tricky and prone to errors, because one earth gives one set of data, but one set of data could have come from a number (infinite, actually) of equally valid earths.

So, to be a real man, all I have to do is squeeze oranges, carry cement bags, and shave in the woods?

... What if I skip the shaving?