The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

I'm just so happy. Its my first C range grade in college but I've been worrying the whole day about how I was going to tell my parents that I needed to retake the class (for a much larger price than the local school).

To all the teachers that may be here: please don't post scores without posting the curve. It just adds stress.

There was a bastard teacher in my colleges business department that always took a survey at the first of the year. The survey determined whether or not he would use a curve. Most classes took the curve. The problem was he was an 'Easy A.' So the classes that took the curve and averaged 85 on the test saw everyone take a -15 hit to their grades.

I always hated classes that graded on curves. I usually was one of the higher grades in class and have always felt that you get the grade you earn.

I also never gave the classes that I taught a curve. I would allow extra work to bring a grade up, but not curve an entire class grade. If everyone was scoring low on a topic of study it meant that *I* wasn't doing a good enough job of teaching them, not that they were deserving of "extra points."

Blotsfan, :p. I used to piss people off all the time during testing.

As a teacher, I don't set up my grades to compare one student to others. When I grade something, I grade based on how well that individual has demonstrated knowledge and mastery of the subject. They're being compared to what I envision and/or expect of a C student (the average). If you all pass and get A's? Great. If you all fail? Fine. It usually means I fucked up somewhere and need to revisit that subject, but I'm not going to give everybody a boost to their grade and move on like nothing happened. So there's not going to be a curve.

Maybe I'm in the minority amongst other teachers, but that's how I do it.

some subjects it makes sense and at what level. in my senior level fate and transport of chemical systems class, I carried a D to the mid-term and then to the final, scoring amazing on the exams I brought my final score to a B. the class was not meant to be easy, and I got my butt handed to me, but the teacher was clear that we would be graded on our ability to show our final understanding, and if we scored better than our course grade on the final we would be given that grade as a point of understanding that much of the material.

Zappit

Staff member
My new iPad arrives tomorrow. I have researched, chosen the necessary apps, and am prepared to give life to my most colorful, batshit insane work yet.

When my high school put a curve on the physics regents exam, they later realized they fucked up the calculations and failed most of the class. So then the district threw out all the grades and gave everyone an A.

Got my HI driver's license today! I only got 2 wrong on the test. This makes the 3rd state that has granted me a driver's license. :)
For a second, I thought you wrote H1.

Dammit, now I'm in the mood for steak.

EDIT: And now that I'm thinking about it, I was thinking A1. *head desk* Dunno what I was thinking. This whole comment has now been stupid. :p

Great Caesar's ghost, what's with this giant fireball in the sky!? Where'd the dark, gloomy, always-threatening-to-rain clouds go that we've had for the past week!?

Well screw you, Mr. Fireball. I'm going biking all day!

WAHOOOOOOOO!!!!

After months and months and months of waiting to hear something, I've finally got my placement for my student teaching! School starts for me September 4!

Don't be afraid to jump in with your student teaching. I was hesitant to do anything at first, but my master teacher just forced me to take over pretty early on. It all worked out great.

Congrats! Stay out of California if you want to actually find a job.

Cajungal

Staff member
Don't be afraid to jump in with your student teaching. I was hesitant to do anything at first, but my master teacher just forced me to take over pretty early on. It all worked out great.

Congrats! Stay out of California if you want to actually find a job.
This. I was teaching on day one. They love it when you jump in with both feet. Even if you don't do a *great* job at first, it shows that you're there to learn and improve. :)

Great thing about grade 2 is if they ask something you don't know, you can just make shit up. They don't know any different.

At least, that's what I remember my teachers doing.