The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Because of a last-minute better job offer, I ended up not moving to the richer neighboring country of Venezuela, and two months after that, oil prices dropped, and the country descended into a leftist/soviet-style economic collapse not seen since Zimbabwe back in the early 2000s.

Scary.
<neo_matrix.gif>

--Patrick

This movie theater is all leather recliners. I don't think I'm gonna go to other theaters anymore.
I go to the movies about once a month.... We have a VIP room with leather seats and spicy popcorn (albeit without 3D), and thanks to it I haven't seen a 3D movie in years, but for Force Unleashed because of my son, and Dr Strange because of weed.

Wish I could take these damn recliners home

Took me four times shaving with the safety razor, but today it all clicked! I don't think my face has ever been smoother, and this is the first time that I didn't nick or cut myself while using the razor! (what finally clicked was to not use pressure and let the weight of the blade do the work). Finally!

I get hives after I shower that are evil and feel like burning and itch for up to 90 minutes sometimes. I sprayed on the Benadryl right after the shower and then a second layer when my legs started to burn.
It was lovely. I need an industrial sized bottle of it though.
Just don't confuse things and grab the Icy Hot by mistake.

--Patrick

In my search through boxes for my old report cards, I found some goodies I thought were long gone. Case in point:

HWA.jpg

The Harrington Wrestling Alliance championship belt! This was from my "backyard wrestling" days at St. Thomas University (Harrington was the name of the men's residence).

It's seen better days, but wow, I thought this thing was long gone.

Epic Win AND a bit of a sad as well.

First the win, as this is the thread: I got a new job! I'm again amongst the ranks of the employed! Woot! Full time, pay increase, and same industry as I was in before. And a smaller company, which in this context is good. And I'll have my own office and everything. So big woot!

Next the "good and neutral" section: We have to move. Unlike my last job which was telecommuting, this one is an office job, and NOT where we live right now. So we're moving to the Halifax area, Bedford, Nova Scotia to be exact (that's where the job is at least, though where we find a house is up in the air for now). So we'll finally be on the same place as at least a couple of fellow Halforumites. But moving itself sucks, and we didn't really want to move either. We wanted to settle down where we were. So that's bad.

And now the really bad part: @Dirona can't move with me for 3 months. That's the notice her contract requires. So we're going down to Halifax this week to find a short term rental for me, as well as house hunting for us, but we'll be apart for 3 months. Won't be living together until March. I'll go back a few times to visit (Christmas for instance), but not close enough to do so every weekend or anything like that.

So I'm glad I've got a new job that looks good, but I'm sad that @Dirona and I will be apart for so long. LOTS of online gaming together will be happening. Hence the request for a fresh map on the Minecraft server! Thanks @Shakey!

But moving still sucks. :(

I did something similar when we moved to Virginia. My wife and kids stayed in Denton for 6 months before coming to join me up here.

It sucked...but we got through it. Hang in there bro. Congrats on the job!

When Kati's mother died, she moved in with her dad (and took our son with her!), and it was an entire YEAR before I could finally get the transfer that allowed me to finally move in with them, a year in which she had to take care of both babies simultaneously.
And then it took me almost two more years to get everything moved over from the old house to the new one.

I guess what I'm saying is, if "moving" were a human being, I would gladly tag along with both of you to shoot it in the face with both barrels of a 10-gauge shotgun. And then I would reload and shoot it again.

--Patrick

GOT ROGUE ONE TICKETS!!!
Wow, the local IMAX 3D one is almost sold out two weeks in advance for Thursday. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but here I am, surprised.[DOUBLEPOST=1480346509,1480346154][/DOUBLEPOST]But almost all seats are available for the 9am Saturday viewing, and matinee pricing to boot.

I went to an art store downtown that had a crazy huge selection and amazing prices. I nerded and nerded and nerded some more!! So awesome. They had a type of pencil crayon that I was having trouble finding locally and singles of the set I use!! And a gorgeous pack of watercolour crayons!! Too awesome.

I went to Michaels just beforehand and was annoyed by how poopy their selection was and that I knew more about the stuff I was looking for than they did and I don't really know much. The only good find was an art book using my brand of pencils and it has some gorgeous projects!

I ran into an old friend there and she hadn't seen me with my cane. She's awesome and it was all good, but I'm always sad when I see someone for the first time when I'm struggling :(

I guess this is where this should go, later in life it might be in the Rant thread.

I have apparently won a grand prize in a Middle-Earth sweepstakes, a watercolor painting by John Howe called “Barrels Out of Bond” apparently valued at $15000. I received the release forms and tax forms today, and honestly I'm probably just looking at turning around and selling the painting.

I remember signing up for the sweepstakes, once. That's all I usually do, not expecting to ever get anything. In a way I'm nervous about the possible tax liability, but intrigued too.

I think that this might be the watercolor, Alan Lee and John Howe collaborated on many pieces of art and the other grand prize is a watercolor attributed to Lee.

Is this the original artwork for a leaf that appears in one of the novel's editions?

--Patrick
Not sure, this is the official description:
GRAND PRIZE: One (1) original watercolor painting “Barrels Out of Bond” from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by John Howe. Painting comes unframed; size is 25 1/2” W x 20 3/4” H.

Aw yeah! So I tried returning some audiobooks on Audible recently. But rather than the wham-bam-thank you ma'am credit refunds I got before, I got a "please contact customer service" message.

I was worried about contacting them because I refunded only to get more credit since I go through audiobooks so quickly. I was worried returning all the time would get me in trouble and my account would be closed.

When I spoke to someone in chat just now, they promptly refunded all four books for credits again. I told them what I said above and they said not to worry. That's part of their customer policy and I can return as many books as I'd like without consequences.

It certainly goes a long way in making me feel valued as a customer. Now I have 4 new credits all waiting to be used!

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Went to donate blood this morning and it was a total ego-fest for Dave. First, even after showing my donor card I had to show my driver's license because they didn't believe I was who I said I was. Why? Because there's no way I was 51. Then they saw that I was down 20+ pounds from the last time I was there and were amazed.

But the most epic thing is my wife weighed herself this morning and she's now down 30 pounds! Her goal weigh loss was 50 but now she wants to go even more. If I can get her to start exercising as well, she'll lose even faster. Next up is her smoking...

Dave

Staff member
So if you follow up a post right away with an anonymous post it still double posts and changes your original post to anonymous. Cool.