The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Found a job, starting next Monday. It's about 5K MORE than what I was making and is a 10 minute drive from home compared to the 40 minute (AT BEST). Even being generous year round and driving at 90 minutes a day compared to 20 minutes, I save over an hour of transit a day. 5 hours a week. 20 hours a month. 240 hours a year.

It's insane that after a year, I'll won't spend 10 days in my car for no reason.

It's been a long year. With my previous employer going bust, 7+ months of parental. It's been long... glad after 10 weeks of job searching this offer falls in my lap.

Hopefully, no rat bastards I need to deal with on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Oh and job searching is a fucking frustrating and humbling experience.

I haven't done so without a job in nearly a decade and completely forgot how fucking miserable it is..

Oh and job searching is a fucking frustrating and humbling experience.

I haven't done so without a job in nearly a decade and completely forgot how fucking miserable it is..
Job searching and dating. Two things to avoid wherever possible!

Each week I put money into two savings, one for a future house or emergencies, another for spending, which we can use for whatever we want, usually "let's get a pizza." Well, I mentioned how much we had left and then this happened ...

Wife: "We have just enough spending cash for a PS4. What else are we gonna use it on?"

:sohappy:

Home from our ski trip, my daughter is now spoiled and only ever wants to go there to ski because she loved ski school so much. When she finished ski school yesterday she wanted to go right back up and ski a little longer, but the rest of us were old and were already done for the day. I'm glad she threw a fit about that instead of hating it and wanting to leave.

My son also did a day and a half of private adaptive lessons and was also able to basically ski on his own by the end.

They are both doing the traditional little kid take up the whole mountain by plow turning back and forth, and it's awesome! My daughter is begging to go skiing more and so this is the first winter that we probably will actually be able to do it without worrying about how the kids will manage.

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember the first time my folks took me skiing at Breckenridge, they gave me lots of grief because I ran full speed into a "SLOW" sign, demolishing it. I was of the opinion that plowing was for nancies, and I'd stop when I hit something.

I remember the first time my folks took me skiing at Breckenridge, they gave me lots of grief because I ran full speed into a "SLOW" sign, demolishing it. I was of the opinion that plowing was for nancies, and I'd stop when I hit something.
I had some a-hole guy (an adult, which is worse) do this to me a few years ago, but instead of the sign, he plowed into me full speed. He didn't have any control of his board or his speed, so instead of avoiding he, he just ran right into me, and his board cut the back of my leg from my left hip to the below the knee.

For those who have never skied/snowboarded, don't do this. Don't EVER do this. (Also why I always wear a helmet when boarding.)

GasBandit

Staff member
I had some a-hole guy (an adult, which is worse) do this to me a few years ago, but instead of the sign, he plowed into me full speed. He didn't have any control of his board or his speed, so instead of avoiding he, he just ran right into me, and his board cut the back of my leg from my left hip to the below the knee.

For those who have never skied/snowboarded, don't do this. Don't EVER do this. (Also why I always wear a helmet when boarding.)
Yeah. I did less damage to things (in general) because I was 6 years old - and probably in more control because I was on skis and not a snowboard. Nothing says "I don't give a shit who or what I hurt because my ego is huge and my brain is tiny" like a 20something guy on a snowboard.

Nothing says "I don't give a shit who or what I hurt because my ego is huge and my brain is tiny" like a 20something guy on a snowboard.
Depends. This guy wasn't wearing a helmet, and I've found that the majority of skiers and snowboarders who don't, regardless or age or gender, tend to act like arrogant pricks on the trails.

Last edited:
Hey, I wear a helmet, and I am the most chicken shit slow ass coward on the slope. ;) Also since I learned to ski in the East, i can't ski on shit unless it's icy or totally packed. Powder is so hard for me, which is part of the reason that I ski like a chicken out here.

Hey, I wear a helmet, and I am the most chicken shit slow ass coward on the slope. ;) Also since I learned to ski in the East, i can't ski on shit unless it's icy or totally packed. Powder is so hard for me, which is part of the reason that I ski like a chicken out here.
I meant the people who DON'T wear helmets tend to be jerks, since they're under the impression they are flawless and invincible. :rolleyes: (I'll edit so it's clearer.)

Also, powder, ice, etc., doesn't matter: I always board cautiously and wear a helmet. I already have one friend who's paralysed from the chest-down from a ski accident (helmet saved his life) and another who still doesn't remember his accident, except that he woke up with a cracked helmet and no one around.

Last edited:
Looks nice! And reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg joke: "I bought myself a seven dollar pen, because I got sick of losin' pens...and not caring."

I buy all my own work pens and no one, I mean NO ONE, touches them.

You're the President of the university? You can use the crappy $1.50 pen to sign that document.

Oooo, those are nice. I give those to my work minions as going-away gifts.

Medium or fine?
Medium. It's for day to day work usage. I was sorely tempted by a slim fountain pen, but decided to stick with replacing my lost ballpoint. Did not opt to go for the gold plated model, never been a fan of that metal. If it came in platinum, I would be all over it, and we would not tell S q u i d l e y b i t s.