The Dream Thread

I used to have nightmares about failing school until I got fired from a job. Now I have nightmares about that job.

I used to have a recurring dream when I was younger about the undead attacking my town. It was weird, but every night I'd have it, the dream would be exactly the same every time, but get a litter farther in each dream. At some point in the dream, I pulled a Shaun of the Dead and realized that if I looked and acted like one of them, they wouldn't bother me. So, I found some theater makeup and made myself up like a zombie and escaped. Never had the dream since.

Also, has anyone else had the dream where you keep waking up, but you're still in the dream?

Now that will mess with your sense of reality.

I used to have nightmares about failing school until I got fired from a job. Now I have nightmares about that job.
I sometimes have nightmares about fucking something up terribly at work. Those are always the ones that scare me awake.

I sometimes have nightmares about fucking something up terribly at work. Those are always the ones that scare me awake.
Well I'm not a cop. No one could DIE as a result of my bad consultation. The worst they could do is lose millions of dollars.

Last night I dreamt I was back in the army.

It's been a long time since I've had that "Oh thank God it's just a dream" feelings.

Yeah, we fondled each other's moobs.

But seriously, I was then tackled by a cyclops. Interpret that how you will.

It looked just like this:

sinbad-cyclops_1616695c.jpg

I infrequently have dreams that I forget to pull my parachute, or I pull it too late and I hit the ground. I never wake up frightened or with the feeling of falling, I just wake up, like I would from any other dream.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dreams I frequently have:

1) Being back in high school but at my current age, because I somehow didn't complete ONE class that was required to get my diploma, and it's final is today and I haven't attended all year.
2) Being back at the part time job I held in high school at Best Buy, where they promptly chew me out for absenteeism because I haven't been to work in years and years.
3) Oh god there are pennies between my teeth all my teeth have pennies between them oh god don't pull them out everything will just come out.
4) I am playing the video game I am currently playing most, and everything is progressing as normal, ad infinitum. Games that have triggered these dreams - Everquest, DAOC, WoW, Warhammer Online, TF2, Supreme Commander, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Orcs Must Die.
5) Same as number 4 but everything is going to hell in a handbasket and I can't make any progress.
6) I have a loose tooth. I try to hold it in.

I no longer have this one, but 10 or 15 years ago, I used to frequently dream of walking to the supermarket, buying mundane items like deodorant or bread, and walking home. I would wake up from that dream feeling cheated because it was so drab and pedestrian.

Video game dreams always make me not want to play that particular game for a while because, for me, they're always the most monotonous parts of the game that I dream about.

fade

Staff member

1) Being back in high school but at my current age, because I somehow didn't complete ONE class that was required to get my diploma, and it's final is today and I haven't attended all year.
2) Being back at the part time job I held in high school at Best Buy, where they promptly chew me out for absenteeism because I haven't been to work in years and years.
3) Oh god there are pennies between my teeth all my teeth have pennies between them oh god don't pull them out everything will just come out.
4) I am playing the video game I am currently playing most, and everything is progressing as normal, ad infinitum. Games that have triggered these dreams - Everquest, DAOC, WoW, Warhammer Online, TF2, Supreme Commander, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Orcs Must Die.
5) Same as number 4 but everything is going to hell in a handbasket and I can't make any progress.

I no longer have this one, but 10 or 15 years ago, I used to frequently dream of walking to the supermarket, buying mundane items like deodorant or bread, and walking home. I would wake up from that dream feeling cheated because it was so drab and pedestrian.
Why does everyone have dream #1 there? http://xkcd.com/557/

Dreams about teeth coming out are supposedly indicative of secrets. What aren't you telling us? What aren't you telling... yourself?

A strange thing happened in a dream the other night. I was riding in the passenger seat of a pick up, when a car ran the red light, T-Boned the door I was sitting at... and killed me. Then I woke up in a different part of the dream.

That was the first time that I was killed or severely maimed in a dream and did not fully wake up.

Cajungal

Staff member
I have a lot of dreams about beaches that exist where they should not. For example, I walked into a post office and opened a back door, and there was this huge beach. All these cute manatees were swimming around, and Brock Samson was there tearing their heads off and selling their meat to people. I was so crushed, because I love Brock Samson. But then I thwarted his evil efforts by convincing the manatees to relocate (they spoke English), and then he chased me up this loooong flight of stairs. He caught me of course, because he's Brock Samson, and then he started strangling me. All I could think was, "I hope I'm on the show, because I bet this looks cool." Then I thought, "I wonder if the Monarch has some machine that turned him evil." Then I woke up.

Mine was something about turning our garage into a "bat farm". No idea what the hell that's about.

S

Soliloquy

I used to have frequent dreams that I could fly -- but not regular flying. I had to swim the breaststroke through the air with just the right timing and momentum, otherwise I'd lose altitude. These dreams started a good 12 or 13 years ago, when I first started swimming for a local club team.

The dreams happened so often that the flying ability itself ceased to be the focus of the dream. Sometimes I was spying on people via my flying ability, or making my way through a secret facility, or trying to cross a chasm. Because of the effort and skill involved in my in-dream flying, there was always the constant fear that I wouldn't be able to stay in the air -- the flight was constantly filled with the danger of my losing my rhythm or running out of energy, then plummeting to the ground below. I sometimes failed at my goals, though I never had any particularly brutal crashes.

The dreams became so frequent that in the back of my mind I began to wonder if I really could fly in the waking world, and I was just too afraid to try. I knew well enough to not actually try, but the thought was still there.

When I was unemployed right out of college, my flight dreams took an interesting twist: I knew I could fly, and consistently was able to fly on my own -- but I could never prove to anyone else that I could fly. Whenever I managed to get up into the air, no matter where I was, there was never anyone around.

When I started dating the woman I mentioned in the help thread, I had a dream that I don't think I'll ever forget. I was flying with no one around to see, as usual, when I spotted someone below. A witness! I flew over the person so they could see, but ended up losing my rhythm and falling.

I landed on the person, and found out that I had severely hurt her -- and that she was the woman I was dating.

I woke up scared, upset and in tears. I haven't dreamed of flying since.

fade

Staff member
I've had the same sort of dreams consistently. Flying, but only through manual effort, to the point where it was almost believable.

I grew up in a really rural area (couldn't see neighbors), and we had this green sodium light just next to our house. There was a long driveway (football field at least) that sloped to our house. I used to dream that I would run in the night toward the house, and then jump and fly over the roof. I remember fascinated by the dream because in it I was keenly aware of what our house looked like from about 30 feet above. Behind our house, there was a huge stretch of woods. Every time I crossed the roof crest, there was something happening in the woods. Usually lots of activity. I remember once, the woods were on fire, and the devil, who I only saw in silhouette, walked in front of the fire. People ran around in front of him. A lot of them were in military uniforms, firing guns, and talking on radios.

Later, I read about astral walking, and it freaked me out. The books always talked about knowing what things looked like from perspectives you had never seen, and a moment of "crossing over" into the spiritual world.

So flying is like running for everyone... doesn't work on it's own (in dreams)...

But i for one do get another kind of flying in dreams, where it's just like falling, except forward instead of down... and with Bug Bunny style mid-air breaking slowdowns...

So, last night i dreamt that those creepy wizard guys from Qarth where roasting Ned Stark alive in some sort of glass and wood display case... wonder what that's about... i mean after all human flesh isn't that good anyway and i wasn't that hungry...

S

SeraRelm

I dreamt I was invited to take a shower with a Halforumite. I accepted.

It has been 7 years since I managed a restaurant, at least 10 since I waited tables. I STILL get the "waiting tables in the weeds" dream.

So last night I dreamt that all the super heroes in the Marvel Universe had to swim across Lake Mazinaw to reach Nazi occupied China and blow up the new Nazi Western Front HQ that was a brand new building situated on prime railway territory.

When they get there they find that their mission is going incredibly easy, they dispose of the guards, plant explosives and with the help of Lieutenant Cosmo Kramer manage to disrupt the entire Western Front communications relay system.

But wait! The entire complex is in reality the Nazis new secret weapon! The building is able to make the heroes believe everything they want. They have not in reality accomplished anything, and soon the exposure to the building itself will kill them all! They can only escape if they manage to convince themselves and the building to create a logical paradox that the entire team can't believe.

and then I woke up. Kinda bummed I didn't get to see how that one ended.

S

SeraRelm

It's Marvel. Wolverine beat everything then picked up some more underage girls to moon over him.