[TV] The Doctor Who Thread

I totally want Hayley Atwell to play the Master/Mistress next season and have a playfull rivalry with the Doctor. Like not just stealing the Tardis, but also eating all her biscuits.

My ranking of series 11:

10. Arachnids in the UK. The Trump-wannabe was a bit over-the-top, and the whole "how the spiders ended up back at the hotel" was a bit too much to swallow.
9. The Tsuranga Conundrum. It was actually a really good episode... until the Pting (aka "Stitch") showed up.
8. It Takes You Away. A great episode that had three bad moments: the parent just up and leaving his blind daughter; the whole sudden change-of-heart with Ryan towards Graham, and... the frog. The FROG.
7. The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos. I think practically everyone guessed who the villain was going to be about a third of the way through the episode. This didn't feel like it should have been a season finale, to be honest.
6. The Woman Who Fell to Earth. The big plus was that it was Jodie's debut as The Doctor. The minuses were that the characters seemed rather mopey on first glance, and the death of Grace just seemed so unnecessary.
5. The Witchfinders. This was one of those episodes that seemed to be targeted more toward the US crowd than the UK, as witch hunts are more "our" specialty. The pull-out that "it was aliens" was a bit... creepy, but it was something of a general tone for this whole series. It wasn't brash and brassy like 11, or old and brooding like 12, or silly and somewhat fun like 10. Oh, and a plus for finally dealing with the 800 lb. elephant in the room: "This was so much easier when I was a bloke."
4. The Ghost Monument. Okay, it was "part two" of the series opener, but it wasn't that bad. The Doctor was doing her usual "the ship's falling apart/Don't worry Yaz it'll be okay" thing, while promptly dealing with the issue of two competitors for a "survivor" prize on a planet designed to kill people. The planet's menace was a bit underwhelming (though Ryan going all "Leeeeeroooyyy Jenkinnnss!" on the sniperbots was hilarious). The best part of this one, of course, was seeing the interior of the new TARDIS.
3. Rosa. Oh, hello BBC America watchers! Here's your episode! Hey, whaddya know, racism still exists in the 25th century! Enough where someone takes a vortex manipulator and sets out to keep Rosa Parks from being arrested on the bus in Montgomery! Who'd have thought? My only complaint was that they avoided the obvious things - using the N word, for one. And what a gut punch for Graham there at the end. But this was probably the best episode of the early ones.
2. Demons of the Punjab. This is what we call "Yaz's Episode." It had layers, along with the whole MacGuffin of the wristwatch, the alien menace who weren't menaces, and "who's the real monster?" who The Doctor couldn't save. It also caused a bunch of Americans to look up the Indian-Pakistani Partition on Wikipedia. Who knew that drawing a line in the sand would be so problematic?
1. Kerblam! This just felt like a Doctor Who episode. The Fez, the secret cry for help, the companions all looking for answers, the bait-and-switches, the morality question, and the just... well silliness of an episode named "Kerblam!" Any one of the recent doctors could have done this episode, and nothing would have been questioned. (Okay, maybe Eccleston couldn't have done this one, but you get the point.)

I thought this season as a whole was...fine. Nothing really stood out as horrible, but nothing really stood out as amazing, either. I think having a larger main cast hurt it because no one really got any development, including The Doctor.

Despite the lack of development over the season, though, Whittaker immediately earns her place as The Doctor. She's great. Though I don't think she got "her" big money moment yet. The kind of immediately iconic, memorable, quotable moment. Like Tenant's debut when he stepped out of the TARDIS in robe. Or Smith's "Basically, run" or Stonehenge speeches. Or Eccleston's "Everybody lives!" Or Capaldi's war speech. I didn't feel any moment like that so far for Whittaker.

The problem, though, is the writing. It's the same curse Capaldi had. He was an AMAZING Doctor and I kind of miss him, but man, the writing was often awful. Capaldi lifted the material to something watchable, but I would've like to see him work at least one season without Moffat (who LONG overstayed his welcome).

Still, I don't know if I'm down for another season like this. It kind of felt like chore to get through.

I thought this season as a whole was...fine. Nothing really stood out as horrible, but nothing really stood out as amazing, either. I think having a larger main cast hurt it because no one really got any development, including The Doctor.

Despite the lack of development over the season, though, Whittaker immediately earns her place as The Doctor. She's great. Though I don't think she got "her" big money moment yet. The kind of immediately iconic, memorable, quotable moment. Like Tenant's debut when he stepped out of the TARDIS in robe. Or Smith's "Basically, run" or Stonehenge speeches. Or Eccleston's "Everybody lives!" Or Capaldi's war speech. I didn't feel any moment like that so far for Whittaker.

The problem, though, is the writing. It's the same curse Capaldi had. He was an AMAZING Doctor and I kind of miss him, but man, the writing was often awful. Capaldi lifted the material to something watchable, but I would've like to see him work at least one season without Moffat (who LONG overstayed his welcome).

Still, I don't know if I'm down for another season like this. It kind of felt like chore to get through.
I agree with every part of this, except that I'm ready for the next season. I feel like with a new show runner and a new cast they were playing it cautiously, and the positive reception will give them a chance to really push the Doctor-y moments next season.

I agree with every part of this, except that I'm ready for the next season. I feel like with a new show runner and a new cast they were playing it cautiously, and the positive reception will give them a chance to really push the Doctor-y moments next season.
Yeah, I think I'm willing to at least give it a second chance.

It doesn't help that I find I rarely watch ANYTHING these days. TV shows or movies. I just find it difficult to sit down and have something keep my attention. Been reading or playing games more in the last few months.

Okay. Wasn't expecting that. Well since the glowing alien things are clearly
from another universe - is this Missy's regeneration or an AU Master?

Thanks for spoilering that.

That was a way intense episode - and my bets are that this is Missy's successor, who was found by the Mondasian Cybermen.

The "nowhere" that Yaz and the Doc were transported to: my thoughts were, "oh, are we in the cloisters now?"

So anyone who wants to catch up on Dr. Who can no longer do so on Amazon Prime - they pulled all of the episodes from Prime as they lost the stream rights to HBO Max, which isn't starting until May.... *sigh*

figmentPez

Staff member
HOLY SHIT! This episode dropped a few bombs.

JACK IS BACK!

Another version of the Doctor? One this Doctor doesn't remember, who seems to be from the Doctor's past, but isn't a regeneration we know. Holy crap.

My brain is not up to processing all this right now. :confused:

HOLY SHIT! This episode dropped a few bombs.

JACK IS BACK!

Another version of the Doctor? One this Doctor doesn't remember, who seems to be from the Doctor's past, but isn't a regeneration we know. Holy crap.

My brain is not up to processing all this right now. :confused:
Also, it's a black woman.

I've been listening to Big Finish's Doctor Who audio dramas of the War Doctor. It's pretty great. It's especially pleasing to hear more of the late, great Sir John Hurt. I stopped watching the current Doctor Who show because of the writing, so this is scratching that itch.

My one criticism is the War Doctor...doesn't really feel very different from the other Doctors. And it hit me he's not different in his one televised appearance, either. He was hinted to have done horrible things that the Doctor would never do, but...he doesn't, really?

Don't get me wrong, he encounters some pretty heavy atrocities in these audio dramas, but he isn't really written all that different. He still takes largely non-violent paths, as necessary. He's witty, charming, funny. But he doesn't really act like a dark, warring character.

I guess I expected a Doctor less hesitant about taking lives. More willing to tap into the internal darkness that makes his character so fascinating. Maybe willing to use weapons, even guns. He does briefly in Day of the Doctor, but just to spell a phrase in the wall. I suppose he was responsible for the biggest atrocity: ending the war by completely annihilating both sides. For as fruitless as that was on the long run. But I just mean in general. He doesn't act any less "Doctor-ish."

They're still FANTASTIC stories. It's some really great writing all around and the voice acting is absolutely top notch. This is my first time listening to any Big Finish production and I'm almost afraid to any others in the future because I can't imagine they're all THIS good.

Last edited:
So I guess that means cheesy camp & an over reliance on Daleks then.

He’s responsible for some of the worst episodes and arching plots I’ve seen in the series so far. The majority of bright points in the episodes under his supervision were usually the Steven Moffat episodes

I liked Davies' run for the most part. I would argue he was a better showrunner than Moffat. I really liked Moffat, but he had way too many big ideas, big set ups, and disappointing payoffs.

Davies' finales were at least usually satisfying, even if they felt less like a season finale in their set up and more like a really good Star Trek 2-parter or something. Like, the stuff building up to the finale was usually a repeated word or phrase at best, not connected events.

While this does make me consider getting back into Doctor Who, I wish they'd gone with a totally new showrunner instead of this naval gazing. Honestly, you know who I kinda wish would run the show for a bit? Neil Gaiman. His "Doctor's Wife" episode is one of the best in the whole goddamn series. And Good Omens was an excellent show. But he's busy with Good Omens Season 2 and other stuff.

I also kinda wish Jodie Whitaker could have stayed on with Davies so she had some actual good material to work with for a change.

figmentPez

Staff member
I finally got around to watching last year's Doctor Who. I continue to love Jodie Whittaker, despite the terrible material she's been given to work with. The plot this year was overly complicated to the point of being nonsense. There were some very likeable characters, but it was nice character moments interspersed with utter-bollocks that was nigh impossible to follow along with. The Weeping Angels had no place in this plot, they're terrible for exposition. The new villains introduced had fucking amazing art design, like that makeup and overall look is BONKERS, but I still have no idea who they were or why they were trying to destroy the universe. Like none. They ranted about a fight between space and time, but I'm not even sure what side they were on, and if it was a metaphor, or there's literal embodiments of both.

Pretty, snarky, nonsense. No wait, let me phrase that better: NONSENSE (pretty, snarky)

Still need to watch the New Year's special.