[TV] The Doctor Who Thread

Holy crap, that premiere was flipping awesome.

That said, how many of you folk figure that...

The kid in the space suit was a very young River Song? Maybe not, though, since The Doctor doesn't know EVERYTHING about River Song yet.

Also, did you anyone else notice the end credits that credited "The Silent"?

re: Dr. Song, I thought so as well. Ballsy move, killing him for real in the premiere. Looking forward to this season very much!

Guessing it's a side effect from the TARDIS, like Amy said (a Time Head!).

Me and Nourah flippin' loved this episode. So much nerding out. And The Silents were really creepy, especially in the X-Filesy haunted house. And so much frigging wibbly wobbly.

figmentPez

Staff member
I enjoyed the latest episode, it was a lot of fun, but the explanation at the end had me feeling like something like this had happened before:

A spaceship's medical systems run amok and coming across as some sort of freaky haunting? Didn't that happen already in "The Empty Child" / "The Doctor Dances"?

My sister and I are loving the new season.

Does anyone else want to see that pirate crew come back some time? I mean, it is a crew of old English pirates flying about space in an extra-dimensional starship. That's too bad ass to leave hanging.

Ok are they cutting the version on BBC America? Because a crewmember just disappeared from the powder room they were in. It really seems like to big of a mistake for the show.

that right there? that was awesome.

its like they gave gaiman permission to fit whatever insane fanfic ideas he had in his brain on paper. and it was awesome.

goodbye squash court seven!

more thoughts when i re-watch it :D

figmentPez

Staff member
Yes, an amazing episode.

Too bad we'll never get a scene in the Tardis swimming pool, now.

Favourite. Episode. EVER.

So many frigging one-liners.
Added at: 11:27
that right there? that was awesome.
its like they gave gaiman permission to fit whatever insane fanfic ideas he had in his brain on paper. and it was awesome.
Fun fact: this episode was originally going to be in last season. But it was deemed, according to Gaiman, "a very expensive episode". :D

Favourite. Episode. EVER.

So many frigging one-liners.
Added at: 11:27

Fun fact: this episode was originally going to be in last season. But it was deemed, according to Gaiman, "a very expensive episode". :D

This episode is tied as my favorite episode, right next to Don't Blink.

I feel like Gaiman not only created a wonderful doctor who episode, but he also managed to expand the whoniverse. We now know what happened to any outlying time lords, as well as have an idea that things may exist outside the universe.

figmentPez

Staff member
My current theory regarding the events at the end of "Day of the Moon"

Right now I'm thinking that the little girl wasn't a Time Lord, but a TARDIS. The energy wasn't a regeneration, but Tardis energy.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Fun fact: each time the Tardis suffered a re-design the sign "Pull to open" got bigger, I guess she was trying to get his attention.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
So, anyone else think the plastic goo is left over from the plastic alien from the 1st episode of the new series?
I was thinking the same, but somehow I think they might be a more *new* reference.

Either way, I liked Rory in this episode. It is good see him being more indepedent.

figmentPez

Staff member
Why is the next episode going to be delayed in the US? I thought we were supposed to be getting this season/series on the same day as the UK.

Kind of a so-so episode. Nothing really BAD about it. It was just okay. Hard to follow up Gaiman's episode, though.

And yeah, as soon as they introduced The Skin, I immediately thought the Nestene Consciousness, as well. That threat's actually been around longer than that first episode in Eccelston's run.

@lien: Interesting idea. That would also give Rory a unique perspective on them.

GL: Rory has pretty much become the anti-Mickey.

fig: It's because of Memorial Day.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm glad that Amy doesn't seem to be the focus as much this season. As much as I love redheads, and Karen Gillan in particular, I think that unbalanced the show a bit previously.

Am I the only one who thinks the actor playing Rory is like the most unobvious MVP of the show? Just seems like he's really been fantastic this season. Which is funny, since in the previous season, I thought he was dull as all hell and really only defined via Amy.

figmentPez

Staff member
Am I the only one who thinks the actor playing Rory is like the most unobvious MVP of the show? Just seems like he's really been fantastic this season. Which is funny, since in the previous season, I thought he was dull as all hell and really only defined via Amy.
I agree, he's quite surprising. Last season he was almost bland, yet I still liked him for some reason. I think the actor made him likeable, despite the role being written as just a prop for Amy to interact with. Another actor and I could easily see my reaction being "why is Amy with this cardboard cutout?" but this season I think I'm seeing why I liked Rory anyway.