The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

I'm not seeing much coverage of it, but I keep seeing occasional articles that say Fox has accepted Disney's $71.3B offer of cash and stock. Thank god, I did not want Comcast to win this one. Though, this will probably only push Comcast to try to buy Disney or CBS or something.

I'm not seeing much coverage of it, but I keep seeing occasional articles that say Fox has accepted Disney's $71.3B offer of cash and stock. Thank god, I did not want Comcast to win this one. Though, this will probably only push Comcast to try to buy Disney or CBS or something.
HAHAHA... Disney could buy and sell Comcast all day. Not only in just value of the company but in stock value (Disney is about 3x as strong as Comcast). I'm also fairly sure it would face the same problems the current Fox/Comcast deal does.

HAHAHA... Disney could buy and sell Comcast all day. Not only in just value of the company but in stock value (Disney is about 3x as strong as Comcast). I'm also fairly sure it would face the same problems the current Fox/Comcast deal does.
Right now, sure. Let them ally themselves with someone like Sinclair Broadcasting, however, and the sky's the limit.

Basically Disney's contract gives them the right of last refusal. That is, they can up any offer that Comcast makes, something like 20 days to do it in, but Comcast has to counter a Disney offer almost immediately. Fox has agreed to the deal with Disney, they did that a few months ago, but their board isn't set to meet about it yet, but basically Disney's newest offer just about shuts Comcast out.

this will probably only push Comcast to try to buy Disney or CBS or something.
Comcast already enjoys majority ownership of NBC, someone important would get really upset at them if they tried to also take over CBS. I’m surprised anyone seriously considered allowing them to try for Disney since they already own Universal.

—Patrick

Comcast already enjoys majority ownership of NBC, someone important would get really upset at them if they tried to also take over CBS. I’m surprised anyone seriously considered allowing them to try for Disney since they already own Universal.

—Patrick
Comcast was trying for Fox against Disney.

But your last sentence is ended by " I’m surprised anyone seriously considered allowing them to try for Disney since they already own Universal." That is why I thought you were being confused.

Nah it was more about network v. network, studio v. studio, and park v. park, and how SOMEone out there would probably get upset that they would then own more than one of these, and start going the antitrust route.

--Patrick

Disney revenue: 55 billion
Comcast revenue: 85 billion
Disney ebitda: 17 billion
Comcast ebitda: 28 billion

Comcast is arguably the more financially powerful company.

Disney revenue: 55 billion
Comcast revenue: 85 billion
Disney ebitda: 17 billion
Comcast ebitda: 28 billion

Comcast is arguably the more financially powerful company.
Comcast couldn't afford the stock price of Disney without leveraging a dangerous amount of the company's assets however; again, Disney's stock price (105.89 as of now, with something like 1.49 billion shares outstanding equals $157,776,100,000 stock value) versus Comcast's (32.79 and dropping, with 4.59 billion shares outstanding for about $150,506,100,000 stock value) means that Comcast would need to sell a controlling interest in itself to make that deal or find a partner willing to merge into another company and then try it. It's also worth mentioning that Comcast's net value is constantly going down as more and more consumers drop their cable packages with the company. It doesn't have the ability to grow like Disney does and, to be frank, Comcast doesn't have a lot to offer Disney.

Fuck, the deal wouldn't go through anyway because then ABC and NBC would under the same roof. The government would break that shit up. The only reason the FOX deal is going through is because FOX affilitiates are more like "We buy 3 hours of your weeknight programming blocks" stations than NBC/ABC/CBS rebroadcasters. It's a whole different horse than ABC and NBC hooking up.

For the record, Netflix is currently believed to be worth more than all Comcast.