The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

Just download the Disney XD app. You can watch it on there.
Most apps like that check your cable subscription to allow access to the stream. In my case, I can't use WatchESPN or the NBCSN apps because I deleted TV from my cable subscription.

Just watched Ducktales from the Disney XD app without any kind of sign in or cable subscription. Show was a lot of fun. Donald is always funny so I'm glad they've included him.

It's really, really good. Glomgold's design and animation tore me apart. I could not stop laughing every time he was onscreen.

"He think's he's sooooooooooo rich, and sooooooooooo Scottish, well I'm wearing a KILT Mcduck, A KIIIIIIIIIILT!"

Friggin' great, its even funnier since Frank Angones has hinted he may actually be an Afrikaner like in the comics.

Definitely a nice start to the series. Also neat to hear St. Canard (Darkwing Duck), Cape Suzette (TaleSpin), and Spoonerville (Goof Troop) all get mentioned.

We watched DuckTales tonight.

It's great, as everyone said. I'm surprised how funny it is, and pleasantly surprised how patient it is, considering a lot of cartoons these days are very ... hyper. This was really cool. Hopefully I'll be able to watch more.

Disney World and Disney Springs to be closed on Sunday and Monday, September 10-11, due to Hurricane Irma. Universal will also be closed. Disney has also canceled the September 9th Night of Joy performances.

I hope they're going for a similar style of musical score or it's going to lose a lot of its strength.

But damn, James Earl Jones is back? This might be the first of these Disney remakes I go out and see.

I hope they're going for a similar style of musical score or it's going to lose a lot of its strength.

But damn, James Earl Jones is back? This might be the first of these Disney remakes I go out and see.
I'm surprised they didn't gender-flip Rafiki like they did in the musical. I'm OK either way, but still, I'm surprised.

All that being said though, why are they making this? It feels way too cash-cow.

Edit: by "musical" above I meant the stage show. The original movie was a musical too of course.

Last edited:
All that being said though, why are they making this? It feels way too cash-cow.
I'm still trying to figure out what the point is when there won't even be a human on screen so it's just another animated version with a different art style.

I'm still trying to figure out what the point is when there won't even be a human on screen so it's just another animated version with a different art style.
Apparently the definition of live action means that the actors will be actually present on a stage, acting out scenes while wearing mo-cap suits. Despite the CGI overlay, this is still defined as "live" by Disney. The animated label is for the old model of having actors in a mic booth reading lines, separately from animators.

I'm surprised they didn't gender-flip Rafiki like they did in the musical. I'm OK either way, but still, I'm surprised.

Hasn't stopped them from doing the others.

Beauty and the Beast might be 2017's highest earner worldwide by year's end. No way is Disney going to pull the plug on these remakes now. Expect more to be announced soon enough.

They could remake a CGI-enhanced, Arthur and the Invisibles-esque version of The Rescuers, and I might not complain.

--Patrick

Hasn't stopped them from doing the others.

Beauty and the Beast might be 2017's highest earner worldwide by year's end. No way is Disney going to pull the plug on these remakes now. Expect more to be announced soon enough.
But B&tB had mostly human characters. It made sense to remake in Live Action. Jungle Book I was iffy on though I admit it works, though I prefer the original. Lion King...Not a human in sight. I remain skeptical.

But B&tB had mostly human characters. It made sense to remake in Live Action. Jungle Book I was iffy on though I admit it works, though I prefer the original. Lion King...Not a human in sight. I remain skeptical.
Jungle book had a few humans, but mostly animals. I enjoyed it, and the "grown up" version of the story (similar to the differences in beauty and the beast) was good.

I don't think they'd have done Lion King until they got far enough along with the story and the technical ability to pull it off, so my guess is that it'll be extraordinary.

That said, don't we have a similar conversation every time they do a new re-re-remake of an old fairytale or story?

If the previous ones haven't convinced you (Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, Cinderella, Maleficent (sleeping beauty), and Alice in Wonderland) then I hardly think you'll be happy with whatever they do to Lion King.

These, however, have been solid, profitable re-re-remakes, and they're not going to stop any time soon.

So. Shall we have this discussion again next year as they prepare to re-re-remake Winnie the Pooh in live action, or shall we delay to the "real" Disney animated movie live action re-re-remakes of The Lion King, Mulan, Alladin, or Dumbo, all (oddly) currently slated for release in 2019?

Jungle book had a few humans, but mostly animals. I enjoyed it, and the "grown up" version of the story (similar to the differences in beauty and the beast) was good.

I don't think they'd have done Lion King until they got far enough along with the story and the technical ability to pull it off, so my guess is that it'll be extraordinary.

That said, don't we have a similar conversation every time they do a new re-re-remake of an old fairytale or story?

If the previous ones haven't convinced you (Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, Cinderella, Maleficent (sleeping beauty), and Alice in Wonderland) then I hardly think you'll be happy with whatever they do to Lion King.

These, however, have been solid, profitable re-re-remakes, and they're not going to stop any time soon.

So. Shall we have this discussion again next year as they prepare to re-re-remake Winnie the Pooh in live action, or shall we delay to the "real" Disney animated movie live action re-re-remakes of The Lion King, Mulan, Alladin, or Dumbo, all (oddly) currently slated for release in 2019?
I really liked B&tB; I thought Jungle Book had some interesting changes but overall it probably didn't need to exist for me. I haven't seen or even heard of a live action remake of Cinderella, and I disagree about Maleficent being a LA version of Sleeping Beauty - it's a completely new take on the story, and it'd be an interesting film had it been drawn, too. I don't know which version of Alice you mean, considering there are probably a round dozen out there, but I haven't seen a LA version I thought captured the feel of the Disney clasic.

I'm cautious about the Lion King. The animals in JB were good, and LK might have even better motion capture and so on, the cast is definitely top notch...But will it be in any way better or special? Given the title, like JB and B&tB, they're sticking "closer" to the original than a real reinterpretation like Maleficent. A CGI version of the Lion King with some minor text fixes isn't going to convince me.

I'm not saying it's going to be bad or you're horrible for looking forward to it - but the Lion King is easily my favorite, and defined part of my childhood. That means I'm not objective, obviously, but yeah. It's a classic, it's on a pedestal, and if you're going to remake it, you better either completely make it your own, or make it really amazing. It might work amazingly, we'll have to see.