[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

As much as I don't think Affleck can pull off the role, I hope that the studios would know better than to listen to the howler monkeys involved in that petition.

From the AV Club:
Anyway, for all our delightful late-night japes, it’s important to remember that nearly every actor who has stepped into a Batman film—from Michael Keaton to George Clooney to Heath Ledger—has faced this same sort of knee-jerk ridicule, and only occasionally deserved it. Also, that Ben Affleck is an increasingly mature actor who has by now earned the benefit of the doubt that he may surprise, no matter what’s asked of him. And it's also important to remember that, ultimately, you are powerless before the machine, your voice a mere mewling in the dark that will be inevitably silenced either by acceptance or grudging acquiescence, because you know damn well you want to see what happens when Ben Affleck plays Batman.

Sources close to Affleck say he took the role for his kids as the script he was presented with is more Brave and the Bold than Dark Knight.

It has been fun following the comic book websites and witnessing the outrage. One of the best: http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/op-ed-ben-affleck-batman-end-dc
Point #2 is my favorite. The author feels that Affleck is a poor choice because he reminds comic book geeks and nerds of the type of guy who beats them up. Maybe Shia LaBeouf would have been a better choice. I would assume comic book geeks and nerds would feel less threatened by him.
Holy shit. Get over yourself, op-ed guy.

The other hilarious part of that argument is that hardcore comic book fans are the only reason movies based on comic books are successful. Which is, quite frankly, stupid bullshit.

Holy shit. Get over yourself, op-ed guy.

The other hilarious part of that argument is that hardcore comic book fans are the only reason movies based on comic books are successful. Which is, quite frankly, stupid bullshit.
That's just plain laughable.

A lighter Batman? I'm all for that. And just to cement that point, I'll just leave this here:

Because honestly, the super-dark, serious Batman that everyone thinks he's supposed to be has really only been around since the 80s, with The Dark Knight Returns and Year One.

figmentPez

Staff member
I loved BtBatB, it did a whole crap-ton of things right. I don't think I want a movie to be quite that silver age-ish, but I don't mind having a lighter tone movie, especially if it's one with Superman. I'm worried that a grim-dark Batman would end up being xenophobic, and I want a Batman who will form a friendship with Superman, not merely an uneasy alliance. There have been a lot of takes on the two, and I'm really not a fan of the Batman who views Superman primarily as a threat. I like, and want, Batman and Superman to have the kind of friendship where Clark and Bruce have lunch together with Diana.

Speaking of which, I think this is the best reply to the Batflec casting:

Batman/Superman Annual #1. "Stop Me If You've Heard This One..." It's a retelling of the first story in World's Finest that teamed up Superman and Batman. The annual is brilliant and hilarious. Highly recommended and a great example of how well you can mesh the sometimes contrasting tones of the Dark Knight and the Man of Steel.

I don't think I want a movie to be quite that silver age-ish, but I don't mind having a lighter tone movie, especially if it's one with Superman. [...] I want a Batman who will form a friendship with Superman, not merely an uneasy alliance.
FWIW, I enjoyed the silver-age (no yellow logo) stuff. It was so...Cusp of the Atomic Age romantic, with the villain brandishing a Big Red Button that would read "Doomsday Device" right on it. It was such an absolute cartoon.

Realistically, though, I see the two of them having so much in common. Most of us here see ourselves as Forumites, unlike the rest of the "normal folks" out there. We have a bond as a result of this. I see Batman and Superman forming a similar bond, as people who secretly operate above society, they have a lot in common, and I can see them forming a friendship almost as a coping mechanism to deal with the mundanity of mudane life amongst the mudanes. It's almost natural.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Anyone else ever notice that Super-hero comics are all about how great authoritarinaism is? Might makes right, am I right?

:trolol: