The Boondocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Season three premiered last night, which very unfortunately will be the last season.

Which is too bad because it's easily one of the funniest shows on television.

Anyway, last nights episode was full of guest stars and the usual biting commentary, but what exactly do you think Huey meant at the end when he said

"I'm retired"

Dave

Staff member
That was last night? Damn it!

I fracking LOVE that show, even though it fills me with White Guilt.

D

Dusty668

Wonder if he'll go back to the comic/webcomic that he gave up for the animated show?

I've never really liked the show's humor. Comedy surrounding racism and ignorance is not something I enjoy. It's painful to think that there are people out there that can actually BE that bad of people.
There was however the episode when that blind guy came back from the dead and possessed the neighbor. That was hilarious.

Funniest show on TV? I dunno about that, it's an "interesting" show but I'm not sure about funniest.
It's intellectually funny, if your paying attention. I still say the episode where Riley, Huey, GW and Gin Rummy track down the Xbox Killer is the single best parable for the Iraq War that's been done to date.

GasBandit

Staff member
I absolutely love this show. I love almost every episode. I'm glad it's back on, sorry it is its last season, and STILL wondering why it took so long to come out with the third season (season 2 ended in early 08).

I loved Riley's logic on why every date is de facto prostitution.
I loved the attempted kidnapping of Oprah which ended in the very short kidnapping of Bill Cosby... who they brought back 10 mins later because they couldn't stand him.
I loved "the Itis."
I loved the MLK "what if."
I loved the illustration of the hypocrisy around the "n-word" and how both sides are only really interested in profit, not right.
I loved the "kung fu psycho bitch."
I loved the episode about "stealing a movie," how Jasmine's innocence was shattered and how Huey got the theater employees to unionize, and they got shut down.
I loved Ruckus' incessant claims of Revitiligo, "the opposite of what Michael Jackson had."
And, of course, I loved Stinkmeaner.

The only episode I wasn't all that impressed with was the "Tom vs Usher" episode.

Did you just call me stupid? :laugh:
Umm... no? I'm just saying that it has more than one layer of humor, and that I think the Intellectual layer is the best. Why would you think I'd call you stupid?

The only episode I wasn't all that impressed with was the "Tom vs Usher" episode.
Yeah, that one was a low point for me too, mainly because I couldn't figure out the meaning of the episode. Was it supposed to be a scathing commentary of Black Culture's attitude towards women? About woman's attitudes towards celebrities? It's not entirely clear.

Mostly about Tom's insecurities, the nature of relationships, and trust. Tom is fairly successful but not wealthy, book smart but a bit naive, well-intentioned but ultimately a bit too wimpy to really be effective. Basically, he's the supposed role model that no one really wants to be. The real problem is that Tom is essentially a wuss, which keeps him mostly out of trouble but also makes him uncool and hard to respect.

The episode was basically the clash of stereotypes among black men - you have the "yuppie" type who despite their relative success feel insecure and emasculated and who don't have the respect of other black men because they're too "white", vs the bitch-slapping pimp and thug who despite their immoral and illegal habits, are glorified for their lavish lifestyles and respected/feared for their willingness to do violence, especially to disobedient women. With Yuppie Tom trying to follow in the example of A Pimp Named Slickback, he only makes the situation worse.

Perhaps, but the fact is that Tom DID have ever right to be worried about what his wife would do with Usher, as she's apparently game for more successful black men (And the Obama episode all but confirms it!) and is utterly unrepentant about it. Yes, Tom's inability to be masculine probably has a lot to do with why she's wandering, but you can't really blame a guy for being insecure when his wife will screw any black man she thinks is "better" than he is.

Kinda makes you wonder if the reason Jasmine's so wide-eyed is because her parents overcompensate about their life problems and hide everything from her, even things she should know about.

Except there's no indication that Tom's wife /did/ anything. She was blown away by Usher being charming to her out of nowhere - who wouldn't be over the moon about a celebrity joining one for dinner and inviting one along to the sort of places you don't get to go? All we actually saw her do was try and get an autograph for her daughter, who was a HUGE Usher fan. Likewise, the Obama thing - yes, Tom is like a much less successful Obama by comparison. By the same token, I'm a drastically less successful William Howard Taft. Tom's wife was starstruck by Obama, and yes, she got a better than average experience from the inauguration - but she was also the local head of the Obama campaign group during the election (as was mentioned during the documentary narration).

There's no indication anywhere that Tom's wife ever screwed anyone else. Yeah, she might dream of a better version of her spouse, but that's hardly the same thing as cheating, and it's hardly abnormal. "If Tom were more athletic, more articulate, more charming, and more successful, he'd be just like the President," is not the same thing as "I'd dump Tom in a minute for a more successful man."

Except there's no indication that Tom's wife /did/ anything. She was blown away by Usher being charming to her out of nowhere - who wouldn't be over the moon about a celebrity joining one for dinner and inviting one along to the sort of places you don't get to go? All we actually saw her do was try and get an autograph for her daughter, who was a HUGE Usher fan. Likewise, the Obama thing - yes, Tom is like a much less successful Obama by comparison. By the same token, I'm a drastically less successful William Howard Taft. Tom's wife was starstruck by Obama, and yes, she got a better than average experience from the inauguration - but she was also the local head of the Obama campaign group during the election (as was mentioned during the documentary narration).

There's no indication anywhere that Tom's wife ever screwed anyone else. Yeah, she might dream of a better version of her spouse, but that's hardly the same thing as cheating, and it's hardly abnormal. "If Tom were more athletic, more articulate, more charming, and more successful, he'd be just like the President," is not the same thing as "I'd dump Tom in a minute for a more successful man."
But at the same time, they both admit that they've been having marriage problems because of this sort of thing, so it is somewhat implied that she's been sleeping around. At the very least, Tom's Wife is an insensitive bitch for doing things she knows upset him, even if she doesn't sleep with them. Tom's not innocent, but he at least he seems to be TRYING to figure out some way of trying to please her, where as she keeps doing the things that upset him.

Marriage problems means they've been fighting and having problems agreeing on things that come up in a marriage, not necessarily infidelity. And yes, they had a fight over Usher that Tom left over. They didn't seem to get back together until after the Trial of R. Kelly, in which his marriage to a white woman cost him the confidence of the jury.

Personally I think Tom overreacts to fairly innocuous things - if he were more secure in himself, they wouldn't even become an issue. It'd be like if you said, "Catherine Bell is pretty hot," and your girlfriend started a fight with you over it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Marriage problems means they've been fighting and having problems agreeing on things that come up in a marriage, not necessarily infidelity. And yes, they had a fight over Usher that Tom left over. They didn't seem to get back together until after the Trial of R. Kelly, in which his marriage to a white woman cost him the confidence of the jury.

Personally I think Tom overreacts to fairly innocuous things - if he were more secure in himself, they wouldn't even become an issue. It'd be like if you said, "Catherine Bell is pretty hot," and your girlfriend started a fight with you over it.
Didn't the trial of R Kelly happen BEFORE the Usher episode?

So... what was the message of last night's episode? That Black Entertainment is evolving and it's starting to become a more "legitimate" industry, where trying to start fights to sell records and use the same tricks over and over is no longer acceptable? Cause this almost seemed like a straight up comedy episode.

Didn't the trial of R Kelly happen BEFORE the Usher episode?[/QUOTE]

I suppose it might have. I didn't see them in that order, though, so I couldn't tell you.

GasBandit

Staff member
So... what was the message of last night's episode? That Black Entertainment is evolving and it's starting to become a more "legitimate" industry, where trying to start fights to sell records and use the same tricks over and over is no longer acceptable? Cause this almost seemed like a straight up comedy episode.
Seemed more to me to be a combination wishful thinking ("This is what I hope happens to all the shallow thug rappers," I can easily see McGruder thinking) and a tying up of loose ends in the final season. Plus a couple opportunities to rag on things like the omnipresence of autotuning and such things. It wasn't a "brilliant" episode, but I still liked it better than the usher ep.

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Didn't the trial of R Kelly happen BEFORE the Usher episode?[/QUOTE]

I suppose it might have. I didn't see them in that order, though, so I couldn't tell you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Trial of R Kelly was the second ep of the first season, right after "Garden Party."

I am going straight to hell for laughing at some of those outrageously racist songs. But it did make some good points about racism in America, so this episode is one of my favs.

I loved last night's episode. It blows my mind that they can take a guy singing a song like "One good Negro" and make it seem like some sort of triumph of the will.

And then the kicker of "They didn't hate you because of your attitude they hated you because you were black" was such a great slap across the face of racists was so beautifully delivered and dramatically placed that I nearly cheered for the pair of racists douchebags.

Status
Not open for further replies.