The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

Hey, if I ever get the chance to get a 3D printer, it's going to be one of those. They have an amazingly fine resolution, much better than filament-based ones. You can almost print hard contact lenses with that thing.

--Patrick

Last edited:
That's pretty much the joke. Guy has a thick accent that the shopkeeper can't understand, and they stretch that out for about six minutes.
Not so much that the shopkeeper can't understand the accent, more that it has a lot of homophones in it. Basically it's a British version of Who's on First?

The Hydraulic Press Channel Guy (and wife) has a new toy...

Tagging @stienman for engineering goodness.

And for tonight's bonus content, a quiz. Why isn't this thing crushing with as much force as it is capable of? See if you can find what's bugging be.

I’d say little to no force is lost. If you smash a car into concrete at 60mph, or the concrete into the car, it’s just a matter of frame of reference, the force and damage is the same either way. The frame is moving up because the piston is heavy and they don’t have it secured, but it’s smashing against the frame, not the ground or gravity.

I’d say little to no force is lost. If you smash a car into concrete at 60mph, or the concrete into the car, it’s just a matter of frame of reference, the force and damage is the same either way. The frame is moving up because the piston is heavy and they don’t have it secured, but it’s smashing against the frame, not the ground or gravity.
I'm not an engineer either, so I may (likely) be talking out my ass, but at first glance I'd think that because the frame isn't secured, it would potentially give more at the moment of impact and absorb some of the energy that would otherwise be transmitted to the target object.

(Yeah, I've been watching that YouTube video about the evolution of F1 crash barriers this week.)

Physics says it really doesn't matter which is moving against what, the piston could hold perfectly still and you could smash the pallet up into it at 50MPH and it would generate the same amount of force as holding the pallet still and driving the piston down onto it. You will lose power to lateral movement, though, because the piston will bind up against the sides of the cylinder and lose force as friction/heat.

If anything, you're losing crushing force because the anvil is made of wood and therefore flexing under the impact.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I mean, force is force, but you're gonna lose crushing power if you try to crush something against a trampoline, no matter how powerful your press.

Knew: All 7
Seen: 6 (missing Rush Hour)
Own: 3 (There are more in the house but *I* only own 3)
The fun fact that *I* know about Twister is that some of the cast suffered retina damage during filming because of all the extra lighting used to overexpose the film to make it look stormier.

—Patrick

FEEEELL OOOOOOLLLLLD

100% on all.

I think they shouldn't have picked JP though, since it has a sequel coming out VERY soon with a near-identical logo. Way too easy.

I thought the comments on Last Action Hero were hilarious though, in that they were accurate about it just via the poster: comic-ey, and weird. YUP! And also trash. I thought the Kindergarten Cop guesses were good though. And honestly, THAT movie could have been that cover, or very nearly.