The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

fade

Staff member
Yeah, you're right, that's the one that sounds like Mars: Bringer of War, especially around 2:30ish.

what makes a theme memorable?
Well, it has to be consistent, it has to be short, and it has to be repeated. The "Incredible Hulk" television series is a good example. Hulk shows up on screen? Some tuba/bassoon/upright bass will go "Bum-bum-BAAAAAHM-bum." Banner goes hiking down a highway? Cue the piano "bah-daah-da-daaaaah" etc. One of the songs on the Star Wars soundtrack is called "Princess Leia's theme" for a reason.
The theme should be obvious. There will be times where the theme goes solo, front and center, and is obvious in its obviousness. (Close Encounters of the Third Kind). It could be the initial hit (Harry Potter), it could be at the end of a prominent buildup that screams, "Here comes the theme!" (Superman the movie). It could be the only slow-moving line over an otherwise busy background (Terminator). They could make it "the hook" (Beverly Hills Cop). Whatever they do with it is gonna set it apart from the rest of the piece, call attention to it, and somehow make it the focal point.

EDIT: wow a lot happened in the 2hrs it took to surreptitiously cobble this together at work.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
FTFY

--Patrick
You know, I thought it was forte-fortissimo too, but I figured after getting fortissimo mixed up with forte, I better double check, and wikipedia says what I put.

Anyway, here's a trailer for Monty Python and the Holy Grail recut to look like a gritty epic action drama.

Y'know, when I watch MCU movies, I notice that they do use leitmotif a bit. For example, Captain America's theme plays when he does something particularly impressive or heroic:

I will acknowledge that if you asked me to hum Captain America's theme right off the bat, though, I wouldn't be able to do it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Y'know, when I watch MCU movies, I notice that they do use leitmotif a bit. For example, Captain America's theme plays when he does something particularly impressive or heroic:

I will acknowledge that if you asked me to hum Captain America's theme right off the bat, though, I wouldn't be able to do it.
See, I couldn't even pick out which part was the Cap theme in that. The music they use is that forgettable.

See, I couldn't even pick out which part was the Cap theme in that. The music they use is that forgettable.
It's the brass fanfare when he's jumping from the car to the truck.

Though I do take your point. The MCU definitely tries to hide their background music rather than building memorable themes.